Announcing the General Availability of XO Software Release 8.2.0
XO Software Release 8.2.0 was developed by OLPC engineers and the OLPC open source community.
The XO and its software is the only major computing platform designed specifically for the educational benefit of children in the developing world.
Release 8.2 is based on a child focused graphical interface called Sugar, a Red Hat Fedora 9 Linux operating system and OLPC customized implementations of core software including power management, wireless drivers, NAND flash file system, Open Firmware, and other components.
XO Software Release 8.2.0 runs on the award winning XO Laptop.
Major new features in this release include:
- A updated Home view and Journal with new options for finding and organizing activities.
- An enhanced Frame for collaborating with other XOs and switching between running activities.
- A graphical Control Panel for setting language, network, and power preferences.
- An automated Software Update tool which finds the latest version of activities and updates them over the Internet.
- Integration with the School Server for backup of XOs and restore of files to the Journal as needed.
- New and updated translations for many languages.
- A new user manual shipped with the XO as an activity.
- Hundreds of bug fixes.
For installation instructions and more details on the new features, see the the 8.2.0 Release Notes
Thanks to the many people who gave their time and energy to make this release a reality.