Contributors program/October 2, 2009

From OLPC

Jump to: navigation, search
[ AGENDA ]

   * New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

   * Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring?!
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
     http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

   * Fast Review of the 2 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
     join us advocating for and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

     #1 Saint Paul Conservatory/Bloomington Community Lending Library - Minnesota, USA
     #2 Super Pixel Art Maker - Torrance, California, USA
     #3 MontanaLinux.org Learning Lab - Bozeman, Montana, USA
     #4 XO-based School Counseling Lessons - Troy, Ohio, USA
     #5 Hello Laptop, Hello World / Cambridge Friends School Pilot - Massachusetts, USA
     #6 Evangel Project - Brasil


[ INTROS ]

<Katelyn> Hello all, Katelyn Foley here!
* sandrat  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> Sorry we're starting finally!
<sandrat> hello anyone there
<CanoeBerry> Welcome All :)
<sandrat> guess I am not late
<CanoeBerry> Plz see our Contributors Program agenda here-- helping us approve/deny these 6 intl projects:
<Katelyn> hello, Katelyn here!
<CanoeBerry> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-October/008825.html
<mafe> hello all!
* tomeu  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> welcome!
<CanoeBerry> Sorry for the late start.
<sandrat> adam I recruited Mathilda Hills to proof read the ClassActs Sprint project
<CanoeBerry> Plz introduce yourself if you can :)
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: great, plz tell me more anytime
<sandrat> Sandra Thaxter Small Solutions Newburyport Mass.
<sandrat> Mathilda will email you
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: have her review our growing community deployment resources too.. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ClassActs/Resources
<CanoeBerry> Who else can help vote up/down these community deployments? We need your help if so :)
<CanoeBerry> Let's begin -- all please join in en route!


[ PROJECT #1 : Saint Paul Conservatory/Bloomington Community Lending Library - Minnesota, USA ]

<CanoeBerry> Starting with Project #1 here, let's hear your opinions on...
<CanoeBerry> Saint Paul Conservatory/Bloomington Community Lending Library - 
<CanoeBerry> Minnesota, USA
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=46036
<CanoeBerry>    (PUBLIC SITE NEEDED off of 
<CanoeBerry> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries)
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 10 XO's over 7 months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    *Project Objectives: *After extensive dialogue with a representative 
<CanoeBerry> of the
<CanoeBerry>    organization; I agreed to do my political science project with OLPC. 
<CanoeBerry> I plan
<CanoeBerry>    to create a One Laptop Per Child “University Chapter” at SPCPA in the 
<CanoeBerry> form
<CanoeBerry>    of a school group. My project, through the school group,
<CanoeBerry>    would—optimistically—accomplish the following two goals:
<CanoeBerry>    A) Our primary goal is to establish a lending library at my high
<CanoeBerry>    school, Saint Paul Conservatory, as well as at our local library, 
<CanoeBerry> Hennepin
<CanoeBerry>    Oxboro Library. In my community of East Bloomington, an overwhelming 
<CanoeBerry> amount
<CanoeBerry>    of young middle and high school students I would meet at school or at the
<CanoeBerry>    local public library are suffering in school because their family 
<CanoeBerry> could not
<CanoeBerry>    afford to keep a computer at home.
<CanoeBerry>    >>How will you divide the XOs among the 2 library sites? It might be
<CanoeBerry>    better to choose one or the other as the main base. Each has advantages.
<CanoeBerry>    If they are at your school, your school chapter can run the library. If
<CanoeBerry>    they are at the public library, both students from your school and
<CanoeBerry>    community members would have access. I would suggest they be housed at
<CanoeBerry>    your school. Perhaps you could make arrangements for children and
<CanoeBerry>    families to request loans via the library (sort of like an interlibrary
<CanoeBerry>    loan) and your student group members could deliver them to the library
<CanoeBerry>    and pick them up for check-in and maintenance each time they are
<CanoeBerry>    returned (really recommended).
<CanoeBerry>    For the lending library, we would require ten laptops. The school would
<CanoeBerry>    provide me with tech officials to maintain the renting computers and 
<CanoeBerry> a base
<CanoeBerry>    to store and lend them from. I also have potential “lending library”
<CanoeBerry>    clients from the school administration as well.
...
[BRIEF NETWORK INTERRUPTION]
...
<CanoeBerry>    >>I wouldn't use the word "rent" at all. We assume these are loans made
<CanoeBerry>    at no charge to the borrower. They should be responsible for the costs
<CanoeBerry>    of repairs, or "replacement" in the unlikely case that they are needed.
<CanoeBerry>    These laptops could be rented (lent out?) and used by low-income
<CanoeBerry>    students from my school
<CanoeBerry>    in need of a computer as well as low-income students from my community in
<CanoeBerry>    need of a computer.
<CanoeBerry>    Students would have to write a detailed application to use the laptop and
<CanoeBerry>    would receive it for no more than one week at a time.
<CanoeBerry>    >>I can send you a copy of the loan form I use. You can modify it to
<CanoeBerry>    meet your needs.
<CanoeBerry>    B) For my second goal, OLPC has given me permission to use their name
<CanoeBerry>    and logo in a music video/Public Service Announcement (PSA) that urges
<CanoeBerry>    viewers to help close the digital divide by donating to OLPC. This 
<CanoeBerry> would be
<CanoeBerry>    a music video and a public service announcement, spanning about five 
<CanoeBerry> minutes
<CanoeBerry>    and featuring music I’ve already composed and a script I’ve already 
<CanoeBerry> written.
<CanoeBerry>    The stars of the video would be actors and instrumental musicians from my
<CanoeBerry>    OLPC university group of about ten students. The video would be filmed
<CanoeBerry>    using professional equipment—in the film competition I’ve recently won, I
<CanoeBerry>    gained access to the Independent Film Producers’ Association, which 
<CanoeBerry> allows
<CanoeBerry>    me to take a class with them and have access to all of their 
<CanoeBerry> equipment. The
<CanoeBerry>    ten computers I request would also be used as props in the video.
...
[BRIEF NETWORK INTERRUPTION]
...
<sandrat> I've read the ST Paul's proposal - looks like the author has done some good thinking;  there are already suggestions re: one location - agree with that
<CanoeBerry> MY APOLOGIES THAT WAS SO LONG :)
<CanoeBerry> All Commentary Now Welcome!
<sandrat> It is good that he has some techie support to get engaged
<CanoeBerry> She?
<CanoeBerry> I think :)
<sandrat> It might be good for him to run some kind of contest among the borrowers to spure on their motivation and problem solving skills - and learn from each other
<sandrat> sorry it is a she... what state is she in
* Bronze-Cyan-79  has joined #olpc-meeting
<mafe> who would be the target market for this?  and this will basically foster usage and xo exploration for family & kids? ...not for  sugar development
<mafe> i like the video idea....
<CanoeBerry> Aside: see the applicant's video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfhrbnVGWA0
<Katelyn> i am excited about the high school involvement, but maybe extend loan periods for more than a week?
<Katelyn> a week seems a bit short for students to get to know the XO
<sandrat> ok.. I just saw the video idea... I like it also  very good "digital divide"  is always good to keep in front of people
<CanoeBerry> Longer loans might also be appropriate for the library itself.
<sandrat> I think to keep track to make sure they are really using it- one week is good. If they are deep into something then give them another week, but they have to check first
<CanoeBerry> There is a small precedent for private/hyperlocalized libraries in LA and San Francisco.
<CanoeBerry> This is OK, but we should also encourage more public libraries wherever possible.
<sandrat> I like the idea of using our public libraries, because of the visibility OLPC get there!
<CanoeBerry> Sorry Caryl is not here, who did much of the work mentoring/fostering this library project.
<CanoeBerry> Shall we bring this to a close?
<CanoeBerry> Can we vote now?
<sandrat> I am for it
* ohshima  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> Plz recommend a smaller laptop count if you feel that is appropriate, as i suspect?
<sandrat> I thought 10 was a good number
<sandrat> what were you thinking for numbers?
<mafe> +1 but i guess 10 is enough
<mafe> since they'll serve 2 libraries
<CanoeBerry> +1 if the mentor (Caryl) justifies the laptop count to me
<CanoeBerry> Conclusion?
<CanoeBerry> Final votes please...
<sandrat> yes for 10
<Katelyn> yes for 10
<CanoeBerry> APPROVED-- Caryl will fine-tune shipping with me as nec.


[ PROJECT #2 : Super Pixel Art Maker - Torrance, California, USA ]

<CanoeBerry> Onto project #2 now:
<CanoeBerry> Super Pixel Art Maker - Torrance, California, USA
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=47937
<CanoeBerry>    http://www.takogames.com (NEEDS PAGE SPECIFIC TO PROJECT)
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 3 XO's over 18 months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    Pixel Art Maker is a simple GUI based Graphic editing application that
<CanoeBerry>    focuses on creating pixel art.
<CanoeBerry>    We will be doing what we are already doing as professional software
<CanoeBerry>    makers. The vision for the project is already set in a clear manner.
<CanoeBerry>    It's just matter of implementation. Procedure is also something that
<CanoeBerry>    we are already doing for some of other software we are working on.
<CanoeBerry>    It is a top down approach where a clear decision maker oversees the
<CanoeBerry>    scope of the project and keep the team accountable to the vision and the
<CanoeBerry>    scope of the work determined in the design stage. People involved in the
<CanoeBerry>    production will constantly compare the process of work to the design doc
<CanoeBerry>    which will clearly state the nature of the project and the features of
<CanoeBerry>    the app.
<CanoeBerry> PLZ DISCUSS ABOVE!
<sandrat> If they are already doing software development - then it is great to developers with valuable expertise inthe community
<sandrat> I don't know anything about pixel art
<CanoeBerry> This is indeed an impressive little proposal.
<CanoeBerry> Does it mention open source, or at least open content?
<CanoeBerry> Who will mentor?
<Katelyn> i don't know anything about pixel art either, but i wish they had laid out their project in more detail
<Katelyn> i'm having trouble understanding their action plan
<sandrat> If they are developers, maybe we could get a design doc..
<mafe> yes...but i'm curious on what do they use for their existing game app
<CanoeBerry> Yes: This proposal begs for a phone call / explanation etc, so we all get to 
know each other.
<mafe> and if they're already familiar with xo development
<CanoeBerry> I'm sure Caryl'd love to add them to her Los Angeles-area map here, quickly filling up with OLPC/Sugar projects:
<CanoeBerry> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/Southern_California_OLPC_Projects
<CanoeBerry> Your Votes please?
<sandrat> current project is on iphone app..  I'm trying tolook at it
<mafe> and write more about the Pixel Art Maker....specs
<sandrat> yes for me
<CanoeBerry> Mentorship needed, who will adopt this project, and introduce them to our community?
<Katelyn> my vote is yes, but it would be nice to have a phone conversation with them
<mafe> ok
<mafe> i'll get them involve
<CanoeBerry> PS I invited them to join this meeting, but only at the last minute.
<CanoeBerry>  :)
<sandrat> design doc wud be good
<mafe> but then again i need some co-mentor
<CanoeBerry> mafe: deal
<Katelyn> after they have a program, hello laptop can pilot it in schools!
<mafe> ok  deal
<CanoeBerry> Conclusion: CONDITIONALLY APPROVED, thanks to Mentor Mafe. I will co-mentor but we could use help from an active software/Sugar developer plz :)


[ PROJECT #3 : MontanaLinux.org Learning Lab - Bozeman, Montana, USA ]

<CanoeBerry> Onto Project #3 now:
<CanoeBerry> MontanaLinux.org Learning Lab - Bozeman, Montana, USA
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=47973
<CanoeBerry>    http://www.montanalinux.org/OLPC.html
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 10 XO's over 36 months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    The BozemanLUG has a connection with the Computer Science Department and
<CanoeBerry>    the Education Department at Montana State University... and some LUG 
<CanoeBerry> members
<CanoeBerry>    have experience in both education and programming as well as system 
<CanoeBerry> administration.
<mafe> CanoeBerry: yep
<CanoeBerry> The BillingsLUG has a connection with the folks at Rocky Mountain 
<CanoeBerry> College.
<CanoeBerry>    The project objective is to set up a lending lab where individuals 
<CanoeBerry> across the
<CanoeBerry>    state of Montana can request / borrow an OLPC from MontanaLinux.org 
<CanoeBerry> and if
<CanoeBerry>    requested, can get a presenter to visit and give a custom presentation on
<CanoeBerry>    hardware, software and project... in an effort to get more people 
<CanoeBerry> interested
<CanoeBerry>    in developing software and doing pilot projects at rural schools in 
<CanoeBerry> the state
<CanoeBerry>    of Montana.
<CanoeBerry> Montana is the 4th largest state in the US but ranks 47th with regards to
<CanoeBerry>    population. Montana has a number of rural schools where OLPC pilot 
<CanoeBerry> projects
<CanoeBerry>    would be welcome... but it will take some effort to grow interest.
<CanoeBerry> PLZ DISCUSS ABOVE PROPOSAL :)
<CanoeBerry> Aside: the applicant joined our Support Gang last night..
<mafe> i thought we have already an existing lending lib their under Caryl?
<CanoeBerry> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_Gang
<CanoeBerry> mafe: that's California, not Montana
<sandrat> question about how to reach out to the rural population that could benefit
<CanoeBerry> +1 here, if the "librarian" shows dedication to make this work -- he seemed very busy when I talked to him last night, but if he has skills to delegate this will work.
<mafe> CanoeBerry: ow i got mixed up ..coz Caryl is everywhere...
<sandrat> effort to grow interest.. takes a lot of work.. I think it would be good  for a stage one , mayb smaller number of XOs to do presentations and assess interest, then do more
<CanoeBerry> (Libraries are generally approved by default, if the library shows sufficient structure / TLC to make itself effective)
<Katelyn> i like the idea that presenters will give a custom intro to the XO
<sandrat> the first stage is to do a lot of those intros ...
<CanoeBerry> Conclusions please?
<mafe> since we don't have one lib there ...+1
<CanoeBerry> 10 XO's for 36 months sounds reasonable to me, given the applicant extensive open source contacts across Montana.
<CanoeBerry> +1
<CanoeBerry> Objections??
<CanoeBerry> Calling once..
<Katelyn> no objections here :)
<CanoeBerry> Callin twice..
<CanoeBerry> APPROVED.
<sandrat> Just think it would be good to expect some assessment of the outreach success before 36 months.  How about 12 and then a check in
<mafe> you can add this up to the lib advocacy of caryl...
<mafe> :)
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: can you recommend a mentor?
<mafe> CanoeBerry: 6 months
<CanoeBerry> Caryl's mentoring dozens of projects now and we need more dedicated mentorship!
<sandrat> Maybe I will ask Mathilda Hills.  She is retired prof from U Rhode Island.. I'll ask her
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: think about it and recruit for us please.
<mafe> monthly updates to the group will do -note: this apply to all projects :)


[ PROJECT #4 : XO-based School Counseling Lessons - Troy, Ohio, USA ]

<CanoeBerry> Yes. Onto Project #4 now:
<CanoeBerry> XO-based School Counseling Lessons - Troy, Ohio, USA
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48139
<CanoeBerry>    http://MatthewDillon.org
<CanoeBerry>    http://GottaBeMobile.com
<CanoeBerry>    http://Notebooks.com
<CanoeBerry>    (NEEDS SPECIFC SITE OFF OF http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects)
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 1 XO over (undetermined) months - SHOULD HE CONSIDER 2?
<sandrat> I can do it and get Mathilda engaged as well
<sandrat> This project could use SOAS
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: thanks -- plz add yourself as an AdminCC on the ticket.
<CanoeBerry> Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    To create four XO computer-based school
<CanoeBerry>    counseling lessons for students ages 10-16 about various topics 
<CanoeBerry> related to
<CanoeBerry>    academic, career, and sociocultural awareness. These lessons would help
<CanoeBerry>    students develop and grow as individuals, breaking stereotypes and 
<CanoeBerry> examining
<CanoeBerry>    positive alternatives.  Lessons Outline:
<CanoeBerry>    Lesson 1: Career Education
<CanoeBerry>    Students are exposed to several
<CanoeBerry>    different careers, the importance of
<CanoeBerry>    developing career interests, and
<CanoeBerry>    the importance of careers as
<CanoeBerry>    related to their futures.
<CanoeBerry>    Lesson 2: Tolerance and Diversity
<CanoeBerry>    Students exposed to stories of
<CanoeBerry>    differing perspectives and the
<CanoeBerry>    importance of learning about different cultures. This lesson will
<CanoeBerry>    require that students seek out
<CanoeBerry>    information from schools in different
<CanoeBerry>    areas or countries that have participated in the OLPC program.
<sandrat> OK .. I"ll do it now or I'll forget
<CanoeBerry>    Lesson 3: Grief and Loss
<CanoeBerry>    Students examine different forms of
<CanoeBerry>    grief, and loss.
<CanoeBerry>    Lesson 4: Stereotypes, Labels, and Prejudice
<CanoeBerry>    Students are exposed to new concepts
<CanoeBerry>    and the way in which
<CanoeBerry>    stereotypes, labels, and prejudice
<CanoeBerry>    can have negative impacts.
<CanoeBerry> PLZ DISCUSS PROPOSAL ABOVE :)
<mafe> I think what they need more is a computer...
* Lerc  has joined #olpc-meeting
<sandrat> nothing is very XO or Sugar specific here.
<mafe> sandrat: yes
<sandrat> It could be... the chat feature for example is a great way for students to communicate privately feelings they might not say when they are looking at each other.  I saw this idea in the HIV AIDs curriculum that the Kenyans are doing. I like that idea and think it would work
<mafe> the lesson 2 they can access and teach that freely if they're using wide screen computer...we have so many videos and stories...they can use ClassAct  as a story book ..:)
<sandrat> This requestor would have to demonstrate how the XO specifically or Sugar Activities are key to what she is doing,  she/he has not yet demonstrated that
<CanoeBerry> "Constructivist" video submitted by applicant is certainly polished! http://youtube.com/watch?v=takA8GJHcBE
<CanoeBerry> Let's conclude by having someone reach out...
<sandrat> I'd like to .. as maybe some of these issues would help the HIV/AIDS project
<mafe> the applicant needs somebody to understand how she can possibly inject sugar on her activities...
<CanoeBerry> Western Ohio is far away, can we think of any contacts in that area?
<CanoeBerry> In any case-- let's conclude now.
<CanoeBerry> Votes please.
<mafe> CanoeBerry: do we have?
* Bronze-Cyan-79 is now known as Bronze-Cyan-79_
<sandrat> I think I'd like to.. if I can do it in one or two sessions and then get off the ticket
<mafe> since she's requesting 1
<sandrat> conditional
<CanoeBerry> Agreed.
<CanoeBerry> We need to move on.
<CanoeBerry> we have 2 more projects to review and our hour is almost up.
<CanoeBerry> Proposed Conclusion: REVISING, with sandrat co-mentoring.
<CanoeBerry> Objections?
<mafe> +1
<CanoeBerry> Calling once..
<CanoeBerry> Plz vote. Calling twice..
<sandrat> I wanted some time at the end of the meeting to discuss Kenyan HIV/AIDS.  updated project/and I have the curriculum..
<CanoeBerry> Conclusion: REVISING, with sandrat co-mentoring.
* Bronze-Cyan-79_ is now known as elissajean
<mafe> sandrat: great ...


[ PROJECT #5 : Hello Laptop, Hello World / Cambridge Friends School Pilot - Massachusetts, USA ]

<CanoeBerry> Onto Project #5 now -- PLZ DISCUSS:
<mafe> we need to see more updates ....
<CanoeBerry> Hello Laptop, Hello World / Cambridge Friends School Pilot - 
<CanoeBerry> Massachusetts, USA
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48146
<CanoeBerry>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Harvard_University:_Hello_Laptop%2C_Hello_World
<CanoeBerry>    http://www.hellolaptop.org
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 10 XO's over 9 months
<sandrat> ok .. I will contact this user about activities - as part of it
<CanoeBerry> Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    This past spring, Hello Laptop Hello World (HLHW) launched a pilot 
<CanoeBerry> program
<CanoeBerry>    at the Cambridge Friends School, which was one of the first XO pilot
<CanoeBerry>    programs in the Boston area. We worked with all of the 6th grade 
<CanoeBerry> classes and
<CanoeBerry>    implemented a full 1:1 pilot, in which each student had their own XO 
<CanoeBerry> laptop.
<mafe> I like this project....
<CanoeBerry>    This fall, we will be working with all of the 4th graders to implement a
<CanoeBerry>    comparable project. The goal of this pilot will be to integrate the 
<CanoeBerry> XO into
<CanoeBerry>    the current curriculum in a seamless way that allows teachers and 
<CanoeBerry> students
<CanoeBerry>    to have ownership of the XO and its role in the classroom. An integral
<CanoeBerry>    component of this pilot will also be a pre- and post-assessment 
<CanoeBerry> survey that
<CanoeBerry>    will be given to all participating students, as well as a separate 
<CanoeBerry> survey to
<CanoeBerry>    be completed by the instructors, who will be facilitating this pilot. 
<CanoeBerry> We are
<CanoeBerry>    interested both in the impact of the laptops on student attitude toward
<CanoeBerry>    school and their classwork, as well as changes in academic 
<CanoeBerry> performance. In
<CanoeBerry>    addition, we will be piloting two new activities, SocialCalc and 
<CanoeBerry> Newspaper,
<CanoeBerry>    and giving student feedback to software developers.
<CanoeBerry> PLZ HELP REVIEW ABOVE :)
<CanoeBerry> Katelyn: can you introduce us briefly, adovcating for your work?
<mafe> Oh..Katelyn is this your project....
<sandrat> good stuff, although I didn't know that hosting pilots locally was a big priority... however I am all for it.  I could start one myself
<CanoeBerry> Katelyn is growing her team impressively.
<sandrat> Great... planning, there is the expertise, team and clear planning and experience
* elissajean is now known as glogrl
<mafe> where is Katelyn...
<sandrat> she was here
<CanoeBerry> Oops, it seems we lost Katelyn :)
<Katelyn> Hi all, my name is Katelyn Foley and I'm one of the co-presidents of hello laptop
<CanoeBerry> Take the floor KF :)
<sandrat> great work Katelyn
<CanoeBerry> And join us Saturday Oct 17 please if you can: http://grassrootstech.org
<Katelyn> sorry, my computer is running super slow
<mafe> hi katelyn...great job...
<CanoeBerry> Where I've negotiated discount pricing if you help present!
<Katelyn> hey, ok, i think it's better now
<CanoeBerry> "Grassroots Use of Technology Conference" in Boston Saturday Oct 17
<Katelyn> we're running apilot at the cambridge friends school with 27 students and 2 teachers
<CanoeBerry> OLPC will be presenting..
<Katelyn> we're following up on our spring pilot, which included 6th graders
<sandrat> sounds like good press to me
<Katelyn> yes i know! i was going to email you
<sandrat> I'm all for getting the word and wonder and magic of XO out to more people
<CanoeBerry> Aside: Grassroots Tech Conf is not about professional community organizers, not press.
<Katelyn> the issue is that we promised nia and claudia that we would present at olpc on the same day
<CanoeBerry> *IS about community organizers, not press :)
<Katelyn> and we're also presenting at a harvard tech conference in the afternoon
<Katelyn> eeekkk!
<mafe> I like that community org
<CanoeBerry> Katelyn: we'll talk later.
<Katelyn> not sure why that day is so popular :(
<sandrat> What community organizers are you targeting
<CanoeBerry> SJ will be presenting at http://grassrootstech.org
<Katelyn> ok, great!
<CanoeBerry> And Sun Oct 18 will be a big day in NYC.
<CanoeBerry> Big Afternoon around OLPC/Sugar organizing in NY City...
<mafe> katelyn: you'll be fine...as we're going to grow this and extend this to all colleges and university
<CanoeBerry> But back to the agenda here :)
<sandrat> Is it on Sunday Adam.. I thought you had said Saturday was your meeting?
<CanoeBerry> Sat Oct 17 - Boston (http://grassrootstech.org)
<CanoeBerry> Sun Oct 18 - NY City
<CanoeBerry> let's get back to work here..
<mafe> Katelyn: can you tell me more about how do you plan the pilot for this 6th grade
<CanoeBerry> Katelyn should review her plan.
<mafe> yep...i need to run in 15 minutes
<Katelyn> yes, we've already had one meeting with the 4th grade teachers (this pilot is for 4th grade)
* mafe  has left #OLPC-meeting
* mafe  has joined #OLPC-meeting
<Katelyn> and we're currently working to design a software bundle for the lesson plans that the 4th grade teachers have given us
<sandrat> super
<CanoeBerry> Minor point: http://www.hellolaptop.org/proposal.html appears broken.
<sandrat> +1
<CanoeBerry> More interesting will be the followon however.
<sandrat> no more questions from me
<Katelyn> teacher training workshops will begin this month and the pilot will be launched at the end of october/early november
<Katelyn> we want time to do pre-assessment interviers and surveys
<mafe> Katelyn: can we talk more about this....CanoeBerry: plz include me in this project ...
<sandrat> I hope that you are documenting your process. It sounds like all the right steps
<Katelyn> absolutely!
<mafe> i like that pre-assessment interviews...
<sandrat> I'd like to visit also
<Katelyn> yes, please do! we'll have a schedule on our website so that volunteers can get involved
<CanoeBerry> If you'd like to help this project, please also see:
<CanoeBerry> http://seeta.in/wiki/index.php?title=Hello_Laptop,_Hello_World
* prchakal  has joined #olpc-meeting
<mafe> +1 on documenting ...
<CanoeBerry> http://lists.laptop.org/list/olpc_boston (join!)
<prchakal> i sent a proposal project for olpc, how i will kno if my project is selected or no?
* glogrl is now known as help
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: what is your project number?
<sandrat> I'm looking forward to the "handbook"
<Katelyn> the software pilot is one of the coolest parts!
<CanoeBerry> (this is a 5 digit number in the email auto-response)
* help is now known as Guest25409
<prchakal> where i see it?
<Katelyn> we're collaborating with SEETA to pilot SocialCalc and Newspaper
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: 5-digit number in the auto-response from contributors@laptop.org
<prchakal> 48150
<CanoeBerry> katelen: where are you going with http://seeta.in ?
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: your review will happen in 2 minutes exactly!
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: plz hang out and help us then.
<Katelyn> we are collecting notes from the field for SEETA
<Katelyn> the kids will be using SEETA's SocialCalc and Newspaper in the classroom
<CanoeBerry> Let us conclude.  Plz vote now.
<mafe> Katelyn: how about an existing curriculum?
<Katelyn> we have started to develop lesson plans (posted at http://www.hellolaptop.org/resources.html)
* Guest25409  Quit ("CGI:IRC")
<Katelyn> the lesson plans are based on existing curriculum at CFS
<CanoeBerry> +1
<mafe> ok great....+1 on this....
<CanoeBerry> Let us wrap up now.
<CanoeBerry> Plz all vote now.
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: plz help us conclude
<sandrat> +1
<CanoeBerry> Objections?
<CanoeBerry> Calling once..
<mafe> approved on my end...as well
<CanoeBerry> Calling twice..
<CanoeBerry> APPROVED.


[ PROJECT #6 : Evangel Project - Brasil ]

<CanoeBerry> Onto Project #6, our final for the day -- PLZ DISCUSS:
<Katelyn> thanks everyone! we'll make you happy you did this :)
<CanoeBerry> Evangel Project - Brasil
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48150
<CanoeBerry>    http://www.prsolucoes.com/blog/
<CanoeBerry>    (SPECIFIC PROJECT BLOG NEEDED?  WHAT TRANSLATIONS WILL BE OFFERED?)
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 2 XO's over 4 months
<CanoeBerry> Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    No more a chat only you only have to type a text like messenger,
<CanoeBerry>    but you can visit places, express emoticons, change your clothes, make
<CanoeBerry>    friends, create rooms. The project is more for children
<CanoeBerry>    and for people that is tired of the mass messenger applications , now we
<CanoeBerry>    have a new experience, but is not a game, only chat, talk, walk, make
<CanoeBerry>    friends, friend list, ...
<CanoeBerry>    The project will use a account created on the website
<CanoeBerry>    that i will do too, with this account you can login and your profile is
<CanoeBerry>    loaded with the friend list and places do visit and talk.
<CanoeBerry>    You can create private rooms for meetings between
<CanoeBerry>    friends or institutions and only allowed or invited people can enter 
<prchakal> +1 Evangel - 48150
<CanoeBerry>     on this room.
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: can you please introduce us to your work now?
<CanoeBerry> We'd love to hear how you will go about this.
<sandrat> this sounds interesting.. I like the idea
<CanoeBerry> How we can help you -- and who you will be helping!
<prchakal> Yes. I want create a chat for children and students, that dont need only type text
<Katelyn> i have to hop on a call, but we'll all be in touch!
<prchakal> but interact with other people and educative things
<CanoeBerry> Katelyn: keep in touch around Oct 17/18 :)
<sandrat> I don't quite understand it yet.  How does it use XO/Sugar?  what features ..
<prchakal> The chat Evangel is a virtual world and any user has a account and can talk and walk around the virtual world (2D)
<sandrat> why isn't this just a website?
<mafe> Katelyn: see you again ...
* Dilloff  has joined #olpc-meeting
<prchakal> My proposal is a light resourse consume from the pc, because this i will use 2d chat and not 3d
* Katelyn  Quit ("CGI:IRC")
<sandrat> What does it have to do with XO or Sugar?
<prchakal> Because flash chat like this consume more memory than a c++ with sdl
<sandrat> Will you build an application on XO/Sugar?
<prchakal> yes
<sandrat> Ok.. now we are getting to the point.  It is a great idea.  What is the request ?
<prchakal> We need a chat that dont only we have to talk, but interact
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: what's your XO/Sugar experience to date?
<prchakal> an interactive chat is more easy to learn
<sandrat> So are you asking for an XO to develop the application?
<mafe> prchakal: what other interaction
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: what is your team's related experience, if you can?
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: did we lose you?  i love this social software approach, but we need to hear more :)
<mafe> hey guys got to run...maybe put prchakal: polish his proposal...
<mafe> have a great weekend everyone!
* mafe  has left #OLPC-meeting
<CanoeBerry> prchakal: we need to conclude now :)
<CanoeBerry> So time's up all, let us revise this great-sounding Brazilian project's conclusion later, when the applicant returns!


[ CLOSING REMARKS ]

* Dilloff  has joined #olpc-meeting
* prchakal  has joined #olpc-meeting
* Lerc  has joined #olpc-meeting
* sandrat  has joined #olpc-meeting
* aa  has joined #olpc-meeting
* unmadindu  has joined #olpc-meeting
* alsroot  has joined #olpc-meeting
* eightdot  has joined #olpc-meeting
* sj_  has joined #olpc-meeting
* homunq  has joined #olpc-meeting
* scorche  has joined #olpc-meeting
* felipe`  has joined #olpc-meeting
* reubencaron  has joined #olpc-meeting
* dsaxena_away  has joined #olpc-meeting
* cjb  has joined #olpc-meeting
* tarbo  has joined #olpc-meeting
* scorche|sh  has joined #olpc-meeting
* SMParrish  has joined #olpc-meeting
* pgf  has joined #olpc-meeting
<prchakal> finish
<prchakal> ?
<prchakal> im here
<prchakal> i write all about the project
<prchakal> you read? because some people was disconnected
* Russet-Silver-79  has joined #olpc-meeting
* pgf`  has joined #olpc-meeting
<prchakal> ?
* prchakal  Quit ("CGI:IRC (EOF)")
<Dilloff> Have all projects been reviewed?
* pgf  Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
* sandrat  Quit ("CGI:IRC (EOF)")
* ohshima  Quit (Remote closed the connection)
<Dilloff> I am Matt Dillon of project proposal #2.  I couldn't attend the review of projects due to work but would love to follow up with anyone if interested: twitter/dilloff.  Thanks and have a great afternoon.
* Dilloff  Quit ("out")
* reubencaron  Quit
* sdziallas  has joined #olpc-meeting
* Torokun  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> Just FYI the meeting spontaneously revived itself on #olpc-help in the last half hour.
Personal tools
  • Log in
  • Login with OpenID
About OLPC
About the laptop
About the tablet
Projects
OLPC wiki
Toolbox