- 8.2.0 OS; new firmware
- The second major release of 2008.
- Date proposed
- Lead customer(s)
- G1G1, Haiti, Rwanda, perhaps others
- Michael Stone
- Root Cause
- Fedora 7's support lifetime ended in May, 2007 and the Sugar team wanted to redesign the UI.
- Effect from the user perspective
- Myriad; see Release_notes/8.2.0.
- Proposed Fix
- Rebase new OLPC software onto Fedora-9.
- Release team
- Testing: Exploratory testing and Systematic testing conducted by many Friends in Testing.
- Special testing required
- the best regression and language test we can muster.
- ECO 8.2.0 checklist
- G1G1, Haiti, Rwanda; perhaps others.
 Relevant Trac items
http://dev.laptop.org/report/22 -- warning; accuracy unknown
 Subsystem-level Changes
Major releases should come with technical documentation of the changes that went into them. This documentation should refer to
- aggregated changelogs,
- reports of fixed and unresolved bugs,
- new and deprecated test cases
- development notes and new best practices useful for conducting further development
Transclusion, links, or (if we can determine a schema) semantic properties can be used to provide this documentation.
There are no hard deadlines for providing this documentation for 8.2.0; however, future releases may set such deadlines.
 Firmware Changes
- Geode VGA support - fixed chopped-up text in graphics-mode12.
- OLPC trac 7880 - fixed glitches in NAND partition support.
- OLPC trac 7867 - fix
- OLPC - extended the high-address v=p page directory area to include the frame buffer and other devices.
- svn 888 / trac #8089 - turn on AES unit when starting the OS
- svn 887 / trac #1339 - enable SD card insert/remove interrupts
- svn 886 / trac #8052 - enable AC97 audio unit when starting the OS
- svn 838,872,883,884 - fixed a configuration variable problem
- svn 876 - fixed a "zero-page" problem that caused problems with Linux 2.6.26
- svn 873,874 / trac #7880 - fixed partition numbering glitches in NAND partioning
- svn 867 - Include the frame buffer in the high-address map area to make "sysrq to OFW" work
- svn 865 / trac #7774 - support some USB mass storage devices that used to fail
- svn 864 / trac #7725 - fixed SD command/data timeouts
- svn 861 / trac #7702 - fixed random hang with SD cards > 4 GB
- svn 854,855,856,857 - Added ls-r and to-file commands for recursive directory listing - useful for NAND-full analysis
- svn 853 / trac #7572 - security files can be in a separate partition
- svn 852 / trac #6967 - don't fail to boot if external device contains developer key for a different machine
- svn 875 - fixed chopped-up text in graphics mode 12 for Windows
- svn 862,863 - ACPI fixes for Windows
- svn 851 - Windows XP suspend/resume support
- trac 8216 - Override persistent devkey when game-button-X is pressed, so you can run customization keys on a system with the dk tag.
- New 15x30 font created by Albert Cahalan
- Fix ext3 write support
- Add 2 column formatted display for .mfg-data
- Trac #8379 - fixed pretty boot (broken in q2e15 and q2e16)
- Speed up the EC command processing code.
- Fix the watchdog timeouts that happen when dumping a large amount of data via ec commands
- Update the battery abnormal error codes and disambiguate code 0x06
- Reduce battery full taper current from 200mA to 100mA per BYD
- Clean up the SCI delivery states so we don't issue them spuriously
- Added 0xE? NiMH battery debugging codes back in so OFW can watch them
- Fix the AUTOWAK command to correctly set that it takes a single data value
- Fix a race that made the Auto Power up on reset quick working when some debug code was removed.
- Fix trac #7964. Typo in the board ID routine that screwed up the C3 id.
- Make the existing zero state IBF from an ill placed port 0x68 write not only print every 240 loops rather than constantly. This should help fix the slowness when the infinite IBF happens on LPC bus float.
- More (the Real) spedup command processing and PS/2 data propagation
- Fix touch pad regressions from q2e13 with older 7xx builds
- Fix trac 8143 where suspend detection was broken after an auto power up reboot (ie a firmware reflash)
- Fix typo in reading MAIN_ON pin.