We are no longer asking for books for inclusion in the XO laptop. Thank you all for your contributions! --Quozl 01:07, 26 June 2014 (UTC)
- According to Wikipedia page Book - "A book is a set of written, printed, illustrated, or blank sheets, made of ink, paper, parchment, or other materials, usually fastened together to hinge at one side. A single sheet within a book is called a leaf, and each side of a leaf is called a page. A set of text-filled or illustrated pages produced in electronic format is known as an electronic book, or e-book."
- According to Wikipedia page E-book - "An electronic book (variously: e-book, eBook, e-Book, ebook, digital book, or even e-edition) is a book-length publication in digital form, consisting of text, images, or both, readable on computers or other electronic devices."
There are several ways to put books on an XO laptop:
- adding books to the Library as Collections using OSBuilder, then deploying to laptops en-mass, suitable for large deployments,
- adding books after install but before use with the Customization stick, or Tiny Core Linux, suitable for small deployments,
- using the built-in Software update feature,
- by portable media such as a USB drive,
- by download from a School server, appliance, or internet.
During the early years of the project, before e-books were popular, we asked for a list of books, and the community responded. See our list of books.
An e-book reader is software that displays the book for reading. The XO laptop includes readers, and other readers are available. See the early page on readers.
E-books come in different formats, for which a compatible reader is required. See the early page on formats.