Flash is a popular format for interactive online content, including animation, video, and games. The Browse activity on the XO can display Flash content embedded in web pages, provided that an appropriate Flash plugin is installed.
Official Adobe Flash
Adobe makes a Flash plugin, but OLPC cannot ship it on the XOs because it is legally restricted and doesn't meet the OLPC's standards for open software. Instead, the XO ships with Gnash, an open source Flash plugin that can play some (but not all) Flash media. As shipped on the XO, it cannot play YouTube videos, because YouTube has not worked to make this happen.
As an individual, you can download and install the plugin. For details, see Adobe Flash.
- Game Development with Flash on the XO-1
- gstreamer (which may include OpenQuicktime), see: Software components#Libraries and Plugins
- helix (which can play Flash, among other formats),
- Ask OLPC a Question about Software#Include Flash Player?
- Ask OLPC a Question#RealPlayer in OPLC and applications download
- Web Browser#Flash in the default web browser