The viewpoints expressed hereunder do not necessarily reflect the opinion of OLPC.
This page was created by a member of the free volunteer community supporting OLPC.
- Before surprising everybody with your request to transfer on your account the modest sum to make sure all e.g. 1.000.000 kids get a € 162.60 XO = € 162.600.000 in your region and a similar amount to train teachers, make ebooks for every grade, a communication campaign, etc. maybe it demonstrates reason and competence to ask for a budget to set-up something that could be referred to as a "OLPC Regional Lab / Test roll out / HUB". With a staff of 3 ICT people, 3 rooms in a university, some 10 XO laptops, 2 XServers, etc. That might sum up to some 135.000 € - 155.000 €, including some trips to OLPC USA, OLPC Peru/Uruguay and inviting them over to your lab and support your local OLPC community capacity building, talking to your Minister of Education and representatives of the educational landscape.
- To get you launched, herewith a: OLPC Budget Regional Lab / Test roll out / HUB: Google spreadsheet you could base yourselves upon. To team up: --SvenAERTS 00:34, 15 May 2013 (UTC) who who wrote all this.
- Deployment Guide
Why hasn't OLPC been embraced by the European ICT teachers/educational sector ?
- IMHO because - though they like the project, but in poor countries. Because of the abundant pictures always showing the XO or OLPC with black-poor kids, there's this association that the XO-XServer combination is not the choice for white kids in a 1st world country. Which is wrong. The XO-XServer is what you want for your kids, it's the best laptop/ebook/tablet you can give to your kids. Therefore I've made:
- Picture album with only white kids on an OLPC/XO-XServer: https://plus.google.com/photos/105098093393637496060/albums/5875785147608305873 --SvenAERTS 00:40, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
- What every government should ask itself when considering an ebook deployment