This page lists conferences hosted by OLPC or at which OLPC presented, and links to slides and video of the talks where possible.
- For presenting XOs at conferences or events, or a calendar of upcoming events, see XO roadshows.
- For historical presentations about the XO, see below or bug sj or cscott who may have other materials.
- For banners, posters, and other printable handouts, see posters.
These are workshops and conferences organized by OLPC or Sugar Labs. For ideas about how to work workshops into deployments, see Deployment Guide/Teacher Preparation Student Facilitation.
- April 2008 Technical Mini-conference
- This was the first technical "state of the OLPC" meeting. OLPC employees gave technical talks on topics spanning the current software stack, presenting both current and future work.
- May 2008 Country Workshop
- OLPC announced its second-generation laptop design. Countries presented the state of their deployment and pilot projects. OLPC employees presented talks on learning, technical issues, and community building.
- June 2008 Tech Team Seminars
- We took advantage of a window of opportunity when many of OLPC's far-flung employees were in Cambridge to have a series of seminars outlining the state of many of our projects.
- August 2008 Networking Talk
- Ricardo Carrano presented, "Recent Investigations and Future Developments in the Wireless Front"
- November 2008 Sugarcamp
- Sugar Labs organized a conference in November 2008.
Please see: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Learning_Workshops
- early October : Ethiopia
Here are a couple of introductory presentations that you may find useful. Note that you can give presentations effectively in Etoys, including an olpc-style toolbar; and that you can use remote display to present directly from your XO. In Etoys, you can import a standard powerpoint or open office slidestack into Etoys. You can also create a presentation from scratch in Etoys, including both static text and images (as with other presentation software), scripts and moving objects, and other (programmable) Etoys components.
Videos of presentations
- This videosite has most videos published online of major OLPC presentations
Slides and other Presentations
- This site has many OLPC slidesets.
- Rajan Vaish at IC3 for his award winning OLPC's Atlas America project
- OLPC India.This presentation was delivered at IIT Roorkee, Chandigarh Science Congress & Panjab University by OLPC India Student Chapter
- OLPC France. CC-licensed
- OLPC_Austria's slides. Very neat graphics and layout. Includes all key points. Great presentation. CC-licensed
- OLPC_Austria - Aaron Kaplan's slides from the Vienna Linuxwochen
- OLPC Nepal OLPC Nepal uses this presentation to promote OLPC. It is geared towards a Ministry of Education. Please note that it comes with a talking script.
- Slides from Caryl's presentation for the CUE (Computer Using Educators) Conference in Palm Springs California, March 5, 2009.
- The OLPC Battleground - Mitchell Seaton's slides from SLUG August meeting @ Google Sydney, August 28th 2009.
- Christoph Derndorfer presents "After the Hype" in Berlin Dec 28 2009. Do enjoy his trenchant retro/spective: Slides (3.3 MB) and MP4 Video (676 MB) !
- French TV program Telematin Jan 28, 2010, on 100 XO Deployment in Nosy Kompba, Madagascar: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc1dzv_le-projet-nosy-komba-sur-telematin_tech
- Caryl's "Get Involved" presentation for Moorpark College on December 5, 2009 as part of their "Year of the Volunteer" speaker series.
- Sean Daly in early Feb 2010, Paris: http://www.slideshare.net/bzg/sugar-labs-prsentation-sean-daly-latelier-bnp-paribas
- Nancie Severs' Feb 7, 2010 Vietnam presentation (21 pages) and associated PDF writeup (6 pages) by Sean Laurence.
- Caroline Meeks, Feb 8, 2010, New England: http://prezi.com/kuuhqwmkxxtm/
- AJ Markowski's Feb 19, 2010, Ontario: <TO BE POSTED>
- Nicaragua Deaf School Microdeployment Feb 21, 2010. Presentation at OLPC in Cambridge, MA by Tiffany Au, Steve Anastos & Melissa Oppenheim from http://DigiLiteracy.org: File:Nicaragua-Presentation-at-OLPC--21feb2001.pdf
- Caryl Bigenho's SCALE presentaion about OLPC, Sugar On A Stick (SoaS), and Sugar software. Feb 19, 2010. The latter part of this presentation (not included in the slides) was a live demonstration of SoaS v.1, Strawberry running on a MacBook via Virtual Box.
- Bernie Innocenti's Mch 2, 2010, university presentation at Facultad Politecnica de la Universidad Nacional de Asuncion, in Paraguay. Further detail here under "Empoderar a los estudiantes con el software libre".
- Caroline Meek's FOSS Vermont Talk from early April 2010
- Sameer Verma' July 17, 2010 slides from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_SanFranciscoBayArea OLPC-SF on Pathagar Book Server. http://wiki.laptop.org/images/1/1c/Pathagar-bookserver.zip
- Christoph Derndorfer's Aug 30, 2010 World Bank talk (incl 30 slides & 2hr video) on his OLPC reporting from South America (Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru)
- Rumi Chunara's Sept 13, 2010 Health Mapping talk at OLPC - New Methods for Public Health Surveillance: File:OLPCHealthMapChunara.pdf
- "One Laptop per Child in Latin America and what we can learn from it" presented by Christoph Derndorfer in Switzerland, early February 2011 (54m 42s video/slide recordings, in German, translation notes possible later)
- Jeffery Shin's 1-page OLPC Infographic / Handout, from Feb 8, 2011: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:OLPC_final_edited.pdf
- Caryl Bigenho's 27-page presentation at SCaLE (Feb 25-27, 2011)
- Philippines/eKindling accomplishments & mapmaking jam! (March 6, 2011, 5-page PDF slide presentation, Trivia Contest Responses)
- OLPC France accomplishments & mapmaking jam! (March 12, 2011, 10-page PDF slide presentation, 1-page long-distance wifi summary)
- Several Uruguay presentations from May 2011's EduJAM event in Montevideo: http://www.slideshare.net/eduJam2011
- Bernie Innocenti's May 29, 2012 presentation to E-Learning Jamaica: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:Jamaica-bernie-28slides--EmpoweringStudents_d2.pdf
- Mark Battley's June 1, 2012 presentation to Jamaica's Early Childhood Commission: http://vimeo.com/43271869 (27min, request password from http://ntugigroup.org)
- Caryl Bigenho's June 1, 2012 TamTam (learning music) presentation to Jamaica's Early Childhood Commission: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:JAMTAMbest2.pdf
- OLPC Colombia Presentation in Spanish
- File:Xopresentation.ppt: OLPC Guatemala presentation using a "day in the life" narrative to show off the XO and argue the need for deployment planning.
- Python User's Group Developer Relations Presentation to large Python user's group in Toronto, Canada. English, 46 slides, approximately 30 minutes speaking time.
- University of Toronto Systems Group slightly more refined version of the previous presentation including images from OLPC Nepal and OLPC Colombia presentations. English, 60 slides, approximately 40 minutes speaking time.
- Tirana University Computer Engineering presentation at the state University of Albania. More background/general introduction than the previous set. English, 49 slides, approximately 1.5 hours speaking time.
- University of Toronto TechKnowFile (closing plenary) presentation at an internal conference of IT professionals and educators at the University of Toronto. Focus is on making the case for academics to join the project in order to increase the relevance of their work. English, 63 slides, approximately 1 hour speaking time.
- Ignite Presentation at DemoCamp Toronto #14, 5 minutes, 20 slides, also used for a 10 minute presentation at another event. Basic project introduction and request for volunteers.
- Stanford University Mark Foster's excellent talk given at Standford University. Somewhat technical presentation.
- Ian Bicking's slides from the UniForum talk, April 24 2007. General OLPC introduction for a technical audience. 26 slides. I talked for an hour, but it entirely depends on how chatty you are.
- OLPC Mesh Javier Cardona's presentation at FISL 2007 in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Details about mesh networking and useful information for developing applications that use the mesh on the OLPC.
- Antoine's Slides Source From a presentation to the Cape Linux Users Group in South Africa on XO application development. Technical audience. Talked for two hours. Has a Hello World for Sugar.
- LeTourneau University - TommyGober's brief overview of OLPC for local ACM chapter - mainly talking points, laptop needed at end for demonstration purposes.
- Portable Culture Machines - Jonah Bossewitch's presentation of OLPC at Teachers College's Popular Culture in the Classroom Conference (3/07)
- Journal, reloaded contains slides and video from a talk User:CScott gave on next-generation journal designs.
- USMP-FIA "Software challenges" talk. Given by User:CScott on 2008-10-25 (en español)
- Additional presentations at http://download.laptop.org/content/conf