(Redirected from Skype: Video
For the general public
In Build 13 (13.2.0) on XO-1.5 works fine:
sudo yum install http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-126.96.36.199-fedora.i586.rpmu
Skype Static and alternatives
In late 2012 Skype announced discontinuance of their static binary for Linux. Just as well to avoid the proprietary software and move to an open VoIP such as
SIP. Linphone can be installed with "yum install linphone" and works. Psip might also. If Skype is indispensable, Google might find an old installer on an independent server. The following is legacy documentation. Regards, ... Peasthope 19:18, 2 October 2013 (UTC)
The contents of this page are considered outdated and some of the information may be stale. Please use information here with caution, or update it.
XO-1 and XO-1.5
On an XO-1 or XO-1.5 with OLPC OS 10.1.3:
- switch to GNOME,
- connect to the Internet,
- using Firefox, go to the Skype Web site and download the Linux Static version (here's a direct link and more recent status),
- locate the file using the File Browser — it is most likely in the "Download" folder in your home directory, with a file name like "skype_static-188.8.131.52.tar.bz2",
- right-click on the file and choose "Extract Here",
- wait for the archive to extract to a new folder — it should look like "skype_static-184.108.40.206",
- open the new folder, you should see a file called "skype" — double-click it.
Not yet available, check with Skype for latest news or devel list discussion.
Options - Sound Devices
Audio does not work immediately. Adjust the options to make the microphone work:
- click the tiny Skype button in the bottom-left of the main Skype window, choose "Options", and in the list of categories on the left, click on "Sound Devices",
- on the right, click the drop-down box next to "Microphone" and select "HDA VIA VT82xx, CONEXANT Analog (hw:0,0)" for XO-1.5, and "CS5535 Audio (hw:Audio,0)" for XO-1,
- click "Apply" at the bottom,
- test the setting with the "Make a test call" option.
Options - Video Devices
On an XO-1.5, video should work immediately. To test, go to "Video Devices" and click the "Test" button in the black box.