The Austin Laptop Lending Library
Want/need to borrow an XO laptop?
How do I apply?
- be the first to apply!
and help us figure out policies email AustinXOlibrary at gmail.com
big questions right now are
how do we assure many happy returns for loaners?
- FOAF policies is one way to go, but that obviously is limited.
- Lots of publicity so everyone in town (or TX) knows what the XO looks like and that it is supposed to be with the lending library. Show a marked machine in the pictures (TV coverage too) so that Contributor's and G1G1 donors won't get hassled.
- This has been remarked as bound to backfire, but then, it's Nicholas Mail Truck theory.
- Mark the outside of the case permanently and prominently with some type of very colorful indelible marker or paint.
- in Texas we brand with a hot iron. No joke, that would be a no-nonsense permanent mark, very visible, that I have been considering for Bolivia.
- Mark inconspicuously inside the battery compartment.
- Require that borrowers fill out a form citing responsibility for the machine while it is checked out to them and promising to replace it "in kind" if it is lost, stolen. or damaged due to negligence.
- It has to be simple, but good. Not to punish the honest, but keep safe from the other kind...
how do we avoid this taking more work/resources than we can afford?
- Some sort of a fee is an idea (we are not funded by taxes as public libraries are...)
- maybe long-term loans so the turnover would be slow. Ask borrowers to handle getting it to the next borrower?
Standard loans will be of a month each. One-week loans might be possible for groups.
A policy for possible renewals will be drafted later.
- kids will be able to explore and use the laptops. They are encouraged to report on their experience.
- grownups get an opportunity for an initial "get-acquainted" phase. You may then move on to deeper commitment with development projects as part of the Contributor program.
- The existence of the Library also will allow many other people to become more in tune with the OLPC possibilities, encouraging donors and advocates.
- Every user is encouraged to become connected with OLPC initiatives.
Initially Yamaplos (Yama Ploskonka) will run this initiative, but the more the merrier!