List of countries with actively participating grassroot organizations
Local press and media representatives are encouraged to contact the country contacts.
|Country||Local grassroot||Country contact|
|Austria||OLPC Austria||ChristophD||christoph [AT] olpcnews [DOT] com|
|Canada||OLPC Support Gang, Free Geek Vancouver||Holt||holt [AT] laptop [DOT] org|
|France||OLPC France||Lionel Laské||lionel [AT] olpc-france [DOT] org|
|Germany||OLPC Deutschland e.V.||Bert Freudenberg||bert [AT] olpc-deutschland [DOT] de|
|Greece||OLPC Greece||Theodoros karounos||karounos [AT] netmode.ntua [DOT] gr|
|Netherlands||OLPC Netherlands||Frits Hoff||f.hoff [AT] openwijs [DOT] nl|
|Switzerland||OLPC Switzerland||Michele Notari||michele [DOT] notari [At] gmail [DOT] com|
Details -- LAST UPDATED 2009-01-05
The Give One Get One campaign ended December 31, 2008. The rest here is just for archive purpose.
Give One Get One has officially launched in Europe! To Give an XO to a child in a developing nation and Get One for yourself or your child, head over to http://laptop.org/global
The cost to Give One and Get One is £275 (approximately €322). The shipping price is £50 (approximately €59).
Contrary to reports from various news sites, the £275 is the cost of TWO laptops -- it is the cost to Give One and Get One. Some sites incorrectly reported that £268 is the cost of one laptop, and that consumers would be required to pay £536 to Give One and Get One -- this is false.
One Laptop per Child and Amazon are still working on the details of how orders to Europe can be fulfilled. For this reason, orders are currently soft - while you are required to leave payment details, payment will not be taken until the XO is shipped to you.
Unfortunately, we do not have any information on when the laptop will become available, or when delivery will happen.
Here's what we do know for sure:
- Your credit card will NOT be charged the £275 + £50 until your "Get" laptop is shipped to your delivery address.
- Your credit card will NOT be charged if it later becomes apparent that your address is in a country that we cannot ship to.
- If we are able to ship to your country, which will hopefully be true for a large number of countries, then your credit card will be billed in Pound Sterling (GBP) from Amazon UK. If you live outside the UK, you will have to contact your bank to determine the exact cost in your local currency. Your bank may also include a small surcharge for a foreign transaction.
Amazon & One Laptop per Child will be working hard to convert the soft orders into real ones in the next few days and weeks. Thank you for your support and patience.
Which European countries will be included?
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom
Note: as fulfilment details for Europe are not yet finalized, the above list of countries may not be 100% accurate. However, the list does demonstrate OLPC's commitment to spreading G1G1 to as many shores as possible. If you are interested in participating in the promotion, you should head over to http://laptop.org/global regardless of whether your country is listed above or not.
What about other regions?
For elsewhere than the USA and Europe, see XO Giving/Global.
Will we get customized keyboards?
No, there will only be English/International keyboards.
Which power-plugs will be available?
European and UK. (subject to final confirmation, please bear with us)
How will I be able to order or donate?
- Visit http://laptop.org/global if you are outside the US.
- Or visit Amazon's US store at http://laptop.org/xo and the "If shipping outside of the US, please click here" link redirects you to a page on amazon.co.uk/xo
- Or, use amazon.co.uk to search for "OLPC XO"
- To donate only, visit http://laptop.org/xo