XO Motherboard Repair
(Redirected from XO Motherboard Repair/)
This page is monitored by the OLPC team.
This is the motherboard of a production XO-1 laptop, annotated for repair:
Common motherboard problems
When a motherboard goes bad it's usually because...
- One of the screen / back light connectors came off due to a botched repair.
- A trace or chip on the motherboard was physically damaged for one or another reason. Usually these are physically observable.
- I have seen one example of an XO 'dead' because of power problems - it appeared fine but had apparently been left plugged in... somewhere during some electrical catastrophe. It would not turn on.
Past that, the motherboards are pretty solid. Other oddballs:
- I've seen the wires that connect the motherboard to the battery go bad once.
- I have seen a battery randomly(read non-reproducibly) kill the EC, mandating a power system reboot.