Congratulations SIDS: 2014 is the UN International Year for Small Island Developing States - SIDS !
- Read all about it at http://www.sids2014.org
- Remember: 2008–2017 Second United Nations Decade for the Eradication of Poverty
- Remember: 2005-2014 Second International Decade of the World's Indigenous People (2005-2014)
- Remember: The 2012 theme: "Indigenous Media, Empowering Indigenous Voices", a topic to which OLPC aligns closely.
- The priority areas, chosen by the SIDS
... and thanks for visiting the "OLPC" related Wiki-Pages, for the One Laptop Per Child Universal Primary Education project for Barbados. This website is a collaborative website in which you can create a login and then edit and add the pages. This tool is made available by the One Laptop Per Child not for profit. This is an "Open Community" project, similar to the Wikipedia, wikibooks and Open Source Community projects, like Linux, OpenOffice, etc. and it is working along Agenda 21 and Millennium Development Goal nr.2: Bringing Universal Primary Education. To edit text on this page or add pages, log in and and "edit page / save page" button will appear.
- 2' video - OLPC Intro part 1
- 2' video - OLPC Intro part 2
- 7' video: Impact on teachers, parents, kids, society.
The aim of this educational project, is on one hand to bring Universal Primary Education by 2015 as - anno year 2000 initiated - United Nations Millennium Development Goal nr.2. On the other hand, OLPC's mission is to manage the open hard and software project, to bring forward the best possible laptop combination for education: the XO-XServer combination. For this and above approach, - and also a lot of lobbying by the right persons on the right places and time - the United Nations is a Partner in this Open Community project! It is the largest educational project undertaken by Humanity ever, and deemed by many as one of the most inspiring projects out there. 2008, saw the first countries with a 100% roll out to all of their kids aged 5 till 15: Peru, Uruguay. Several Island States have a 100% deployment too; Rwanda, Australia, Cameroon are following at fast pace too. Every XO can load over 100 ebooks on its memory and has a choice of over 86.000 eBooks available, as well as many (educational) games, all education disciplines covered, etc. etc.. things are moving fast indeed.
Barbados is a very multi-cultural society with a very diverse diaspora. We hope that this diaspora will work their way to these pages and that society in Belgium will benefit from these citizens with one leg in Belgium and another still in their countries of origin to develop leadership for OLPC, Agenda 21, the MDG's and accelerate bringing the level that our planet can be a nice place for all humans to new and inspiring heights for generations to come.
Please feel free to create sub-categories or list or start collaborating, teaming up and expanding our and your projects, existing and new ones in one of these sub-categories:
- Barbados ORDER LIST CANDIDATE BUYERS OF AN XO LAPTOP
- FAQ Barbados
- Who's Who Barbados
- Barbados Meetings
- OLPC Competing projects in Barbados
- What every government should ask itself when considering an ebook deployment
- Barbados and paying the olpc deployment with CO2e certificates: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Barbados