Board test plan
First, note that there are various different combinations of components (SKUs). Items such as the system RAM, the DCON SDRAM, the NAND flash, the BIOS SPI flash, etc. have multiple sources.
Ensure that each combination, or at least one of each major component with multiple sources, is tested. Bugs do slip through the cracks if you omit even one manufacturer's part from the testing.
Things in italics are things that should be scriptable and in the tinderbox
See fbtest.c for a DCON register-poking tool.
Hints on how to achieve the below tests can be found in the [http://www.laptop.org/teamwiki/index.php/Image:DCON_Specification%2C_V0.8.doc DCON Specification] or for the disinclined at http://david.woodhou.se/dcontest.txt
- Check DCON <-> VGA mode transitions. They should be glitchless and an IRQ should arrive promptly. Test with various intervals between the DCON and the VGA changes, to allow for different amounts of clock drift.
- Check sleep mode and auto-sleep mode.
- Check ECPWRRQST transition from sleep mode.
- Check blanking.
- Check dot-clock divider setting to request DCON mode refresh frequency
- Check colour, anti-aliasing, monochrome modes. Watch for setup/hold time problems on the display.
- Set backlight to each level 0-15. Check for noise and fluctuations.
- Check correctness of colours in colour mode
- Verify SDRAM self-refresh: Enter DCON mode, enter sleep mode, wait. Enter DCON mode again.inter
- Benchmark read/write access on each type of NAND part ("modprobe mtdchar; dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=/dev/null bs=64k count=100")
- Introduce 1-4 symbol errors in page and verify correct correction. (someday)
- Linux root filesystem on NAND
- Test insertion/detection, hotplug removal.
- Test high-speed mode
- Benchmark read/write speed on low-speed and high-speed devices
- Test MMC and SD devices
- Test headphone output and speakers, verify unclipped output at volume on each.
- Test internal and external microphone input; check for good input levels without noise.
- Analogue input test
- Verify correct image in both overlay and capture modes
- Once we have test program, that contrast, chroma, flip all work.
You can use "xev" for this testing.
- Verify scancodes from main keyboard keys (and that all keys are reported)
- Verify scancodes of additional keys on unit -- joypad, game buttons, mode
- Verify power button input functional
- Verify multiple-key-press functional with no 'ghost' keys
- Verify capacitive<->resistive mode switching
- Verify noiseless operation in capacitive mode, especially on first touch
- Verify operation in resistive mode across whole area of pad
- Check (rough) calibration by edge of screen matching marks on the touch pad.
- Verify EC functionality after battery overdrain (low voltage). It should reset and battery should charge correctly.
- Verify full Battery Management System operation with full, low and absent batteries. Check especially for overcharge and undercharge behavior
- Correct operation of battery LED
- Battery status reporting to Linux
- Check that the battery shows charging or charged
- Unplug the machine
- Check that the battery shows present and
- Check that the machine does not show it is plugged in
- Plug in the machine
- Check that the battery shows charging
- Unplug the battery
- See that the battery shows not present
- Reinsert the battery
- Check that the battery shows present and charging again
- Verify correct poweroff and soft-reboot behaviour, including subsequent power-on.
- Verify full power domain switching -- each circuit which should be individually controlled should be able to be turned off and on by power management code without functionality problems. Lilian is working on code for
- Verify correct operation temperature sensors, lid switch.
- Observe correct operation of power LED.
- Check manufacturing data in BIOS flash
- OpenFirmware self-update
- Set system date. Remove all power (battery and AC). Reapply power and check date is still set
- Test system suspend-to-ram and resume.
- Test keyboard light
- Verify ability to upgrade/downgrade Boot2 code
- Verify association in standard 802.11 mode
- Verify WEP/WPA encryption
- Verify connection in mesh mode
- Obtain Legacy IP address by DHCP, verify connectivity.
- IPv6 connectivity with link-local addresses (no setup required)
- Obtain IPv6 address with RA, verify connectivity.
- Antenna switch
- Verify correct power-up with high USB power draw
- Verify Open_Firmware and Linux correct operation with various hub/storage/ethernet/hid/other devices
- Make sure all three ports are functional!
- Verify correct operation with USB over-current situation. The USB should shut down; the system should not.
- Open_Firmware boot from USB
- Open_Firmware boot from Ethernet
- Open_Firmware boot from SD (when supported)
- Open_Firmware boot from NAND
- Open_Firmware tests.
- Reflash OFW