Keeping it Real: Deployment Challenges and Outcomes
- SF's Global Community Summit 2012 Oct 19-21 and implementers' San Francisco Sugarcamp++ Oct 22-24 -- all are invited to both events!
- EduJAM! 2012 Montevideo, Uruguay, May 11-12 for Spanish-speakers / Latin Americans especially
- OLPC/Sugar Doc Sprint (Apr 6-10, 2012) freshening up our core http://laptop.org/manual and Sugar's Help Activity. Bonus: Video Tutorial workshop for those who arrive early with learning strategies - eg. a "curricular arc" showcasing the learning power of their favorite Sugar Activity!
- OLPC San Francisco Bay Area hosted another major/global community summit Oct 21-23, 2011 immediately following the Oct 16-20 Open Source Doc Sprint Summit held at Google's Googleplex Headquarters in Mountain View, CA. Followed by San Francisco's great-looking Nov 1-2 conference New Game, for HTML5 game developers, recommended by the TinyGames educational games community.
- OLPC France hosted a Europe-wide Sugar Camp Sept 9-11, 2011 in Paris (blog)
- The Uruguay Summit of May 5-7, 2011 brought together free educational software developers from around South America! It was preceded by an amazing volunteer-organized "Conozco Urugay" Exploratory Tour -- examining the world's most famous OLPC deployment firsthand.
- Global olpcMAP SPRINT - Dec 27-31 in Boston, Massachusetts, brought together volunteer curators from OLPC deployments of all size -- to finally place our years of accomplishments, our growing geosocial fabric -- and life-changing volunteer placement opportunities -- On The Map!
- OLPC SF/Sugar/Realness Summit Oct 21/22 - 24 2010 was the place introducing OLPC deployment community doers from Birmingham, Afghanistan and beyond!
- "What Works? Strategies for Scaling Quality Universal Basic Education Among Marginalized Children": Content & Training discussion in Kigali, Rwanda (Oct 11-15, 2010). Organized by the Open Learning Exchange (OLE).
- "OLPC Realness Summit: Facing the Reality for Volunteers & Professionals Worldwide": Mentor Workshop (May 24-June 2, 2010) and Realness Summit (May 28-30, 2010) at Maho Bay Camps, St.John, US Virgin Islands. Organized by the Waveplace Foundation
Glimpses of OLPC Deployments
Plan for the Worst; Prepare for the Best
Preparation for Deployment (anecdoted by real-life experiences)
- OLPC Deployment Guide 2011 NEW!
- Country specific deployment guides and Sugar Installation
- Deployment resources (to be merged into main stream)
- PlugNPray PAIWASTOON-AF-PlugNPray-Guide.odt PAIWASTOON/Mike Dawson's guide from experience in Afghanistan to getting started / assessing needs / achieving impact using OLPC. NEW!
- Class-Act tips from an experienced volunteer -Sean Laurence discusses his personal experience and useful tips for OLPC volunteers who are about to go on a deployment.
- OLPC Startup in 5 Easy Pieces - Bryan Berry's Nepal experiences. Learn what can go wrong, as you build your deployment team
- Getting Started for Impatient People by Christine Murakami, who led Ohio high school girls to help with 3 schools in the US Virgin Islands.
- OLPC Orientation Workbook for Education Officials, by David Leeming (developed for Tuvalu, review)
- Deployment Guide from Michael Hutak, based on Walter Bender's Deployment Guide
- OLPC Oceania / Michael Hutak's great learning/deployment resource listing
- Improving the Deployment Toolkit NEW!
- OLPC France's Amazing Media Archive (in French)
- Billy Grissom's Gorgeous 4p Intro Sheets (UC Berkeley, Uganda, not yet published)
- UNESCO funded Uruguay/Ceibal book  and impact/implications booklet(hilarious cartoons!)(in Spanish)
- Frequently Asked Questions: our classic Support FAQ, the new Spanish P+F FAQ, and an incomplete Deployment FAQ
- OLPCorps 100 XO Deployment: What Should We Take?
- Ideas for Improving a Deployment Toolkit
- The ALEARN Network - Active Learning, Excited And Responsive Network - Enthusiastic Education!
Sugar and XO: Technical Preparation
- OLPCorps Technical Manual, includes Sugar installation and troubleshooting
- Technical issues and solutions (to be merged with Technical Manual)
- School Server (XS), Unsung Hero Tool! 39-page presentation by Sameer Verma, March 2010.
- Presenting Sugar
- Sugar Learning Photo Gallery
- Sugar Labs' Lesson Plan resources and Martin Dengler's Lesson Plan template
- NANDblaster Use it to flash a software image onto multiple XO's at once (to be moved)
Cost estimation for deployments
Train the Trainer: How teachers/educators make change
- Guide for Educators
- 10 Things You Should Know About Teacher Training by Christoph Derndorfer
- How To Treat Your Teachers As The True Professionals They Are by Caryl Bigenho
- Steal great classroom ideas from the many independent projects arising from OLPC's Contributors Program
- Illustrated elementary curriculum site Refer for curriculum set up and school organizing ideas
- Moodle: Using Open Source to Support Education by Martin Dougiamas
- OLPC AF Downloads : Teacher training content, monitoring and evaluation materials
- Australia's very impressively colorful 20-page OLPC Teacher Guide (1.5 MB) by *Jonathan Nalder, Caboolture.
- Gabon/FranXOphonie Pedagogic Guide, Google Translation to English, OLPC France's Wikified version (by Kaçandre Bourdelais, in French)
- XO-Measure-Manipulate-Reflect guide on how to build your own cheap sensors by Claudia
- Community-Mapping lesson plans from Claudia
- Alex Jones' Teacher's Tools (Game Design student @ Rochester Inst of Tech)
- An amazing new manual from Peru (The XO Laptop in the Classroom, great for teachers) added to our list of Manuals
- Lesson plans, tutorials & research studies from "Hello Laptop, Hello World" in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- A broad selection of Academic Papers and Constructionism insights may help you reflect on advancing your implementation support.
- The Librarian Chick free textbook catalog
- Mochilla Digital's "Tools" 19 Activity Guides plus extras. Some screen shots are from earlier versions of Sugar, but instructions are excellent. (in Spanish)
- Peru's Teacher Topic Guides(in Spanish)
- Currently unavailable: Mexico's Mochilla Digital workshops produced by TelMex / Carlos Slim's foundation : Extensive coverage of Constructionism, Collaborative Learning, and Project Based Learning (in Spanish). Hope to hava a new link soon.
- Educational content ideas
- Out of the Box mapmaking, sensor & content ideas from Nick Doiron's OLPC experiences in Uganda, Uruguay/Ceibal, Haiti and remotely helping Madagascar.
- Learning videos for almost 30 Sugar Activities from the Digital Literacy Project.
- See the Reading & Thinking section of the ALEARN Network (small deployment alliance) for our philosophies of learning, on Scratch Coding Clubs in Virginia (UK too?) etc!
Manuals, Handbooks and User Guides
- Organized listing of the Most-Known OLPC Manuals
- Extensive Spanish Resources sorted by Activity and Country (in Spanish!)
- One Laptop per Rwandese Child (NEW 16-page PDF guide)
- Documentation projects in progress (to be merged or linked)
- OLPCorps Technical Manual
- OLPCorps Learning Guide (10 page PDF) OLPC mission, stories, activity lists and FAQ
- Where There's No Doctor? Amazing 400+ page internationalist health guide
- Excellent "La Laptop XO En El Aula" by Sdenka Salas in Peru. See also *English translation
- New 31-page XO starter guide. (15MB)
- Uruguay's colorful 48-page starter guide: "Manual Basico XO" (2da edicion) (2.5MB)
Maps: Deployments & Community
- Nothing beats http://olpcMAP.net in showing the diversity of deployments worldwide!
- OLPC deployments and status
- Deployment teams and contact points in the world
(Sugar Labs listing)
- OLPC across the world
- XO concentration in 2007 & 2010 (heatmap)
- 30 OLPCorps Africa microdeployments from 2009 (map)
- Southern California Projects(map) - among hundreds of Contributors Program projects laying the seeds with OLPC research, Development, Community Organizing
- Connecting dots in India : If you are a volunteer or organization operational on OLPC mission, please mark your presence on the link pointing to the google map, to help us reach out to you and make the right connections for accelerating operations in India
- Global Community Groups in Major Cities especially
- OLPC blog and twitter
- Planet OLPC: Blogs from OLPC volunteers
- Planet Sugar: Blogs from Sugar Volunteers
- OLPC News: an independent news source; not affiliated with OLPC
OLPC Deployment Experiences
VERY ROUGH DRAFT, NEW: http://booki.flossmanuals.net/class-acts/_v/1.0/introduction/ OLD: http://en.flossmanuals.net/ClassActs (HTML), http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/classacts-en-2010.11.29-23.54.00.pdf (92 pages, 12.85MB). Formerly at: http://en.flossmanuals.net/ClassActs/ClassActs.pdf (~100 pages / 100+ MB)
BROADER COLLECTION OF: Diverse Public Presentations
Kenya Arid zone Primary School deployment mission starting early 2010:
OLPC Workshop for Education Officers in Tuvalu January 21-22, 2010 (87p, 1.21MB)
ClassActs story about Maroantsetra, Madagascar by Sameer Verma, prepared as part of an assignment by students at San Francisco State University
Columbus School for Girls Service Learning Project Blog Columbus School for Girls distribution to three schools in St. John, May 2010.
"Proyecto Flor de Ceibo" (Uruguay's March 2009 report) (in Spanish)
Very up-to-date OLPC Nauru reportage and May 2009 29-page DRAFT REPORT File:Leeming-Nauru-OLPC-Apr-May-2009-Report (draft 1).pdf fostered by David Leeming. (video)
DRAFT LAYOUT PROPOSAL #3 (JGay): File:Book-draft-layout-by-jgay.pdf
DRAFT LAYOUT PROPOSAL #4: 1000-XO Deployment Story in File:Dujiangyan-Sichuan-China.pdf by OLPC Asia / Hong Kong (18-page PDF, June 2009)
Uruguay's Plan Ceibal: The world's most ambitious roll-out of educational technologies? Includes video. Summary by Michael Trucano, World Bank's Senior ICT and Education Policy Specialist. Discussing Miguel Brechner's 19-page slide presentation "One Laptop per Child and per Teacher" here: File:2162969-uruguay-plan-ceibal.pdf
Heroic Waveplace/OLPC deployment stories in Nicaragua: Excellent summary of their approach, whose structure is likely evolving for their post-earthquake work in Haiti.
30 small African deployments(map) by OLPCorps: a new student-based, grassroots OLPC initiative with 100 XOs, Hardware, $10K stipend, 10-day training in Kigali, Rwanda, and an entire summer in an African country of your choice.
Final Report Evaluation of OLPC in Solomon Islands (PDF)
Please add other resources, with links if possible, to the above list. Please feel free to add comments about any of these resources if you wish. Additionally, if you feel the resource has potential material to include in a future instructional DVD for new XO users, please mark the resource "+DVD."