This year's G1G1 giving program is incredibly important to the community and to OLPC itself. Last year we received over 80,000 donations which have helped seed deployments in Mongolia, Haiti, and Rwanda. This year we can do better, and you can help bring laptops to even more kids.
getting involved : please add your name below and join our grassroots list to discuss how to gather and tag media related to OLPC so that others can find it.
- Mchua wants to get involved; how can I help?
- sean wants to work on getting the museum/science center/aquaria/zoo world involved with OLPC
How? The simple answer is to tell people about OLPC, and about our giving program! In person, in mass or on the internet. Together we can reach a lot of people who still don't know about our efforts at all; and can help some of them realize their own dreams.
There are a variety of resources for those who want to create or recreate their own media for the upcoming event. Many communities including flickr and OLPC SF have created amazing media that is available under a free license.
- Pull together available resources for OLPC media in one place and let people create more awesomeness from it.
- Set up a link collection to resource pools, seed a torrent for a media pack of sources with attribution/license details
- Torrent seeding : There are 8gb of freely-licensed Sound samples available for use with XOs and other tools. There are tons of great sounds contained therein, but the existing seeders are usually offline; this needs reseeding to spread the message to other sound enthusiasts.
- There is an OLPC flickr account that is accessible by many people at OLPC and in the community already: http://flickr.com/photos/olpc . The entire contents of that site can be made available under a CC -by License. There is also a flickr group that has a lot of CC images, both from around the world.
- Photos from Ethiopia
- olpc olpc 2 and parents day
- photos in a CC -by license (permissions in seth's email)
- CAA video
- (xo.caa.com for now) CAA created a video last fall for fundrasing last year for olpc ans has given us the rights to this material. Currently on DVD in the Boston office, needs to be digitized in several formats.
- http://olpc.tv -- videos of olpc presentations around the world
- There are several of these now, along with their sourcefiles.
- for slides, see slideshare.net
- OLPC currently has laptop.org laptopgiving.org and laptopfoundation.org. Also quieter internal sites : wiki.laptop.org, learning.laptop.org, dev.laptop.org. Each of these has its audience. There are also sites with OLPC graphic design in:
- The text 'one laptop per child' (note case) is set in "Century Gothic Standard Bold"
- The text 'give a laptop. get a laptop. change the world.' is set in VAG Rounded
list of people who should be pinged to contribute
- Anna (Birmingham)
- Country reps : Carla, Bastien, Juliano, Julian
- The OLPC office!
This push, telling people about the laptop giving program, should really have a presence at the following sites. Note that many of these sites weren't targeted last year and often don't have updates about our efforts. If you make stuff, please post it to and try to get it highlighted/seen at the following places. If you create a group or category at any of these places please post it here.
- This wiki!
- Flickr http://flickr.com/groups/olpc
- YouTube the usernames OneLaptoPerChild and OLPC are taken?
- LJ ?
- Facebook following up with their non-profit group, don't wait on me! ~SEth
- Facebook Causes app
Mailing lists & blogs
Add new lists or blogs here. These can be regional, about Education, Fedora/Linux/FOSS, International/sustainable dev, Green power/solar, Tech gadgets & DIY, or other related topics.
There's going to be a lot of really exciting work in community advertising, media creation and community building in the next 6 weeks. We're going to have days when the local community can come work with us in the office and collaborate. If you're going to be working on related projects in your area, consider holding an open working session too!
And send a line to firstname.lastname@example.org if there are specific things you want to help out with.
- To join us in Cambridge, MA : leave a msg for sj or seth.
- To join people in Brussels :
- To join people in DC :
- To join people in NY : the Manhattan Neighborhood Network has offered the use of their space again...
Museums/Zoos & Aquariums/Science Centers
These institutions could be valuable partners in spreading the word about the XO, expanding the community of contributors.
New England Museum Association http://www.nemanet.org American Association of Museums http://www.aam-us.org Association of Science and Technology Centers http://www.astc.org American Aquarium and Zoological Association http://www.aza.org