Contributors program/July 31, 2009

From OLPC

< Contributors program
Revision as of 20:58, 31 July 2009 by Holt (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
[ AGENDA ]

   * New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects#XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

   * Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring?!
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
     http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

   * Fast Review of the 2 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
     join us advocating for and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

     #1 Ceibal Jam - Uruguay
     #2 XO Laptops for Mayan children in Guatemala - Coordinated in West Florida/FL, USA


[ INTROS ]

<CanoeBerry> Apologies the Contributors Program meeting will start 10min late today!  See you in 10 min, right here!
* sandrat  has joined #olpc-meeting
<sandrat> here
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: hi!
<CanoeBerry> Sorry we're running 10min later -- great to see you and plz help gather folks round if poss :)
<sandrat> Hi. thanks for the work on the kenya curriculum. I'll work them on wiki restructure
* sandrat  Quit 
* sandrat  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> Finally read to go :)
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: let me recruit a bit on other channels so we have a quorum..
<sandrat> ok
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: did you receive the agenda showing both project proposals emailed out a few min ago?
<sandrat> I'll check email ... wait a sec
* befana  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> befana: welcome
* kjcole  has joined #olpc-meeting
<befana> CanoeBerry: hi, thanks
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: welcome too, hope you might help us review these 2 projects today :)
<CanoeBerry> One from Uruguay and one from Guatemala/Florida.
<sandrat> no I didn't get it yet
<CanoeBerry> Sadly email is currently delayed, some have received it, some have not..
<CanoeBerry> Let me get you a direct link..
<kjcole> CanoeBerry, probably not much help, as I don't participate nearly as much as I'd like.
<CanoeBerry> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-July/007458.html
* bemasc  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> Agenda here:
<CanoeBerry> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-July/007458.html
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: welcome
<CanoeBerry> Shall we begin?  Or shall we wait a few more min for the many ppl who have not yet received the invite sadly :(
<bemasc> "yo"
<CanoeBerry> Due to MailMan delays at lists.laptop.org :(
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: yo to those hiding in NH :)
<CanoeBerry> Or pretending to based on their domains..
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: shall we begin a wait a bit longer til a few more ppl receive the invte?
<bemasc> CanoeBerry: huh. that's weird.
<CanoeBerry> Let's begin!
<CanoeBerry> Most ppl should now have received the invite, after 10min of delay..
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: sandrat: Project #1 let's look into now if you can help..


[ PROJECT #1 : Ceibal Jam - Uruguay ]

<CanoeBerry> Ceibal Jam - Uruguay
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=44651
<CanoeBerry>    http://drupal.ceibaljam.org/?q=contributorsProgram
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 20 XO's over 12 months
<CanoeBerry> Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    This project aims to expand our Developers Program and increase
<CanoeBerry>    the number of contributors. We plan to promote a paid internship
<CanoeBerry>    program funded with donations and grants that will become available
<CanoeBerry>    thanks to our new NGO status. This program is inspired by the Google
<CanoeBerry>    Summer of Code program.
<CanoeBerry>    The volunteer nature of the work makes our progress slow and
<CanoeBerry>    despite our efforts we don't have the amount of contributors and
<CanoeBerry>    finished activities we desire. We hope to get more things done with a
<CanoeBerry>    paid internship program that could attract students. In Uruguay there
<CanoeBerry>    is zero unemployment in the ICT sector and most university students
<CanoeBerry>    can get a good job after their first year at school, then they get
<CanoeBerry>    very busy with work and studies and are unable to contribute as we
<CanoeBerry>    wish. This new batch of XOs would help us boost the internship program
<CanoeBerry>    and hopefully increase the number of finished activities.
<CanoeBerry>    Our measurable objectives are:
<CanoeBerry>    - increase by ten the number of active projects by the end of
<CanoeBerry>      the year (current number = 16)
<CanoeBerry>    - increase by five the number of finished projects by April
<CanoeBerry>      2010 (current number = 6)
<CanoeBerry>    - complete at least five paid internships by April 2010
...very short network problem...
<CanoeBerry> Still there?
<dirakx> CanoeBerry: yes.
<sandrat> this is veyr well put together. Clear goals. Need is clear.
<CanoeBerry> Proposal posted in full here: http://drupal.ceibaljam.org/?q=node/325
<CanoeBerry> For those that do not have RT.laptop.org access yet.
<dirakx> i'll vote yes for Ceibal..
<CanoeBerry> great.
<CanoeBerry> Others votes?
<sandrat> reading.  It makes sense, as long as they can really get some interns to fulfill the role
<dirakx> they are having a great growth in organization and contributions.
<sandrat> looks very good to me. let me look at the full version
<bemasc> Makes sense to me.  A little weird to be giving 20 laptops to a (loose volunteer affiliate of) an organization that's bought hundreds of thousands.
<CanoeBerry> Their leader (Pablo Flores) is traveling around the world, but still in 
communication so that's great.
<kjcole> My sense after a quick read is that it is (a) honest about some of the shortfalls, and (b) planned.  Sounds like a recipe for success. +1
<bemasc> But hey, that's not my problem.  Maybe it's genius.
* mafe  has joined #OLPC-meeting
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: they will get the wrong keyboard (US/Intl) instead of the pure Spanish that Uruguay orders.
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: but as long as they are happy with that..
<sandrat> The number of interns projected is good, as the group dynamics will support higher productivity
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: charger issues too I should clarify before shipping, assuming we go ahead as it appears.
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: of course ppl have no options with the Contributors Program (US/Canada/Mexico chargers and US/Intl english keyboards are all we offer :)
<bemasc> CanoeBerry: true.  IMHO, supplying volunteers of this sort should really be Ceibal's job.
<befana> befana: +1 they usually give us feedback about their projects on olpc-sur list
<CanoeBerry> Let's bring Project #1 to a wrap...
<CanoeBerry> Any objections?
<bemasc> but this is the nature of bureaucracy; you work with the organization that can get things done.
<sandrat> no
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: indeed they've claimed as many as 1300 volunteers, Ceibal Jam being "the largest volunteer organization in all of Uruguayan history" I'm told
<dirakx> bemasc: i understand what you are saying but think on them as a volunteer effort not related to the big bugs of goverment.
<CanoeBerry> Not sure if that includes Catholic Church etc however ;)
<CanoeBerry> Final comments on 20 XO's to Uruguay's volunteer organization?
<bemasc> dirakx: I'm mostly complaining that the government should have a volunteer developer program, but we can't fix that, and we can give them XOs.
<dirakx> bemasc: right!
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: globalization (of volunteerism in this case) isn't all bad :)
<CanoeBerry> With Sur as you mention..
<CanoeBerry> OK: Approved


[ PROJECT #2 - XO Laptops for Mayan children in Guatemala - Coordinated in West Florida/FL, USA ]

<CanoeBerry> Let's move onto Project #2 (final for the day)
<CanoeBerry> XO Laptops for Mayan children in Guatemala - Sponsor in West Florida/FL, USA
<CanoeBerry>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=44982
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 2 XO's
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    We believe that the combined efforts of individuals and organizations can
<CanoeBerry>    make great ideas a reality. The combined efforts of OLPC, Rotary,
<CanoeBerry>    Adopt-A-Village and Advanced Computer Systems can significantly change the
<CanoeBerry>    lives of the Mayan children of NW Guatemala. Our objective is to deploy the
<CanoeBerry>    XO laptops to one classroom at a time in selected Mayan villages of
<CanoeBerry>    Guatemala. The XO laptop will empower the young Mayan children to learn and
<CanoeBerry>    have a better future.
<CanoeBerry>    Additionally, our business and community contacts will allow us to excite
<CanoeBerry>    others about the OLPC concept. We anticipate obtaining additional donations
<CanoeBerry>    for OLPC.
<CanoeBerry>    We anticipate a first deployment of twenty XO's to be scheduled for a trip
<CanoeBerry>    to Guatemala in Feb. 2010. We request two XO's now for training and
<CanoeBerry>    familiarization.
<CanoeBerry> Note this applicant is new to OLPC but has already made a lot of strides working personally with me and Jameson Quinn in Guatemala/Chiapas.
<mafe> I'm fine with it...
<CanoeBerry> Applicant runs a large computer business in W. Florida.
<mafe> it's an outreach to get them started....
<sandrat> This is a pilot deployment project with no defined give back to OLPC/Sugar in the sense that I thought we were requesting
<bemasc> Their whole thing is to buy and deploy XOs "one classroom at a time", but "Give Many" is dead...
<CanoeBerry> Still, I'm thinking we should push the applicant to join Support Gang or other community work to demonstrate his commitment.
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: not exactly
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: OLPC does not turn down sales as you might imagine
<mafe> the advantage of this ....is expanding OLPC and sugar community ecosystem of users...
<sandrat> This is always my question about what we are doing; are being give many or is contributor more narrow in definition
<kjcole> Based on the request alone, it's hard to judge. But since only two machines are requested, and has a large computer business and has worked w/ people here, that considerably lessens my concern.
<CanoeBerry> Too bad Jameson isn't here...
<bemasc> CanoeBerry: I don't think this is appropriate for the Contributors program.  These people are not contributors, they are customers.
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: i disagree and we should discuss
<bemasc> OLPC may well choose to give them free "tasters" in the hope of "making a sale", but I don't see why I should have any say about it.
<sandrat> The positives are that the group has resources. : 1. technical 2. community  (I don't see the educational resource however?
<CanoeBerry> The applicant wants to join the community and give back, and has said so directly to me.
<CanoeBerry> He may fail, but we should give him a chance.
<dirakx> two laptops isn't too much for a chance ;)
<bemasc> it doesn't cost me anything.
<sandrat> I like this model and think it is a good grassroots way to get XOs out there - two is not so many
<CanoeBerry> My view is we should loan him the 2 XO's and make clear he needs to commit to our community.
<mafe> dirakx: +1
<CanoeBerry> Much as has always been the case for people joining Support Gang and helping folks out around the world.
<CanoeBerry> Support & QA are *huge* forms for contribution..
<mafe> CanoeBerry: i'm ok on he should commit hs updates after exploring the XO...
<sandrat> that is good
<dirakx> bemasc: i also feel your concerns..but as you say it OLPC is centralized we cannot do anything to change that fact.
* rodolfo  has joined #olpc-meeting
* cjb also confused.
<CanoeBerry> rodolfo: welcome we're wrapping up our meeting here discussing a Guatemala/Florida proposal for a small project.
<dirakx> bemasc: OLPC is the organization that can get things done. :).
<bemasc> CanoeBerry: I think you should probably give him the XOs.  I'm just surprised that this is the venue for that decision... but perhaps my perception of the venue is changing.
<sandrat> could I run a quick idea by this group, or is it better to send it to canoeberry first
<kjcole> How about asking for a more refined plan that includes the contributing back....  As stated by you it just feels a bit vague.  Unless the project needs these machines "yesterday" a second round on the proposal might do it some good.
<rodolfo> CanoeBerry: i'm really sorry to get here late.. i just saw the email
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: areed
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: agreed
<mafe> bemasc: why where else do we get the decision? :0
<sandrat> I think it is worth getting people out there using XOs and then working with them on the "contribution" part
<sandrat> agreed
<mafe> kjcole: +1
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: the way this usually works is we assign a mentor who makes the final decision with me over the ensuing week, as to whether the applicant is really likely to contribute or not
<rodolfo> How many laptops are going to be deployed?
<CanoeBerry> Applicant wants to deploy a classroom in Guatemala initially, perhaps 20 laptops.
<kjcole> sandrat, getting the XO's out then working with on contribution: agreed.  Still a bit more info up front would be helpful.
<CanoeBerry> Let's wrap up with mentoring of the Guatemala proposal, any takers to join me & Jameson?
<rodolfo> CanoeBerry: a single grade.. or a specific setup.. as a laboratory??
<CanoeBerry> Sounds like very young kids in Guatemala..
<kjcole> CanoeBerry: I guess I'm taking myself as an example (and probably hurting any request I might make in the future): Big dreams, no time or talent. ;-)
<sandrat> all: what do you think Have a group in Tanzania: wants to develop a nutrituion management app for XO for HIV positive youth.
<kjcole> "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony..."
...
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: are you saying the Florida applicant is overcommitting?
...
<kjcole> CanoeBerry: I'm saying that given what you quoted, I can't tell.  It sounds vague, but as I said, two XO's, a large computer company, and you vouching for having worked with, are all good.
...
<mafe> kjcole: if you're going to mentor it
<mafe> :)
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: agreed -- last call to join homunq & I mentoring the Florida/Guatemala project?
<CanoeBerry> OK, no takers.  We'll proceed asking Florida/Guatemala applicant to revise his proposal being more specific about his Community Contribution and then ship him the 2 XO's if he delivers :)
...
<mafe> CanoeBerry: Plz keep me on the loop with the Florida project
* hullaw  has joined #olpc-meeting
<rodolfo> CanoeBerry: Florida could be something to be looked at more carefully



[ CLOSING REMARKS ]

<sandrat> all: what do you think Have a group in Tanzania: wants to develop a nutrituion management app for XO for HIV positive youth.
...
<sandrat> sorry to interrupt conversation with this question
...
<bemasc> sandrat: sounds good to me.  Is there a plan?
<sandrat> we are working on it.. will go ahead if no one else is doing that
<mafe> sandrat: have you look into foodsource? :)
<sandrat> no... should i google it?
<bemasc> mafe: do you mean Food Force?
<mafe> sandrat: it's a cp project
<mafe> bemasc: right thanks
<mafe> hahah
<sandrat> what is "cp" ?
<CanoeBerry> Contributors Program
<rodolfo> are there specific needs that must be taken into account in both deployments?? or is it just "aproving" the laptops
<sandrat> ok... I'll take a look at it
<kjcole> CanoeBerry: I'm saying that given what you quoted, I can't tell.  It sounds vague, but as I said, two XO's, a large computer company, and you vouching for having worked with, are all good.
<mafe> sandrat: Food Force in Contributors Program
<CanoeBerry> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Food_Force_2
<sandrat> thx.. exactly what I needed to know
<mafe> kjcole: if you're going to mentor it
<mafe> :)
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: agreed -- last call to join homunq & I mentoring the Florida/Guatemala project?
<CanoeBerry> OK, no takers.  We'll proceed asking Florida/Guatemala applicant to revise his proposal being more specific about his Community Contribution and then ship him the 2 XO's if he delivers :)
<CanoeBerry> Thanks all -- main meeting now over!!
<CanoeBerry> (proceed w/ sandrat's question if nec)
<sandrat> thanks
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: we need a bit more action our of the 3 Kenya proposals, so let's be sure to talk about their status Monday, OK?
<kjcole> Back to the salt mines for me.  Ta-ta.
<CanoeBerry> kjcole & all: bye & THX
* kjcole  has left #olpc-meeting ("Konversation terminated!")
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: please get the Kenyan Orchestra moving in the next few days if you can..
<CanoeBerry> http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=43608
<CanoeBerry> http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=43610
<CanoeBerry> http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=43623
<mafe> CanoeBerry: Plz keep me on the loop with the Florida project
* hullaw  has joined #olpc-meeting
<rodolfo> CanoeBerry: Florida could be something to be looked at more carefully
<sandrat> ok.  I'll set up a call.  1. restructure wiki page 2. setup blog (??)  3. Communicate w s-g??
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: meaningful social contact
<sandrat> I'll go through the tickets and catch up with the latest requests
<mafe> sandrat: that would be great....bye all need to run...
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: in addition to what you outlines above, yes
* mafe  Quit
<rodolfo> CanoeBerry: CeibalJam allways comes up with very interesting things.. i don't know about long term.. but great ideas have dprung from ceibaljam
<rodolfo> CanoeBerry: *sprung
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: just a bit concerned that a lot of formalistic roles & responsibilties were laid out in their proposals/revisions, but that we more action/traction now.
<sandrat> "social contact"  by email and ticket responses you mean?
<CanoeBerry> sandrat: so anything you can do to get one member of each team to join an established OLPC/Sugar mailing list or irc or wiki or whatever
<CanoeBerry> ParticipACTION :)
<sandrat> sure I will ge them to join..
<sandrat> got it.
* jamaal21  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> jamaal21: sorry we missed ya
<CanoeBerry> jamaal21: meeting just completed ;)
* aa  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> aa: approved unanimously
<CanoeBerry> almost ;)
* rgs_  has joined #olpc-meeting
<hullaw> canoeberry:  Sorry I am MIA for months...someday will be back in full swing
<CanoeBerry> aa: while approved (Ceibal Jam) you do understand the Contrib Program only provides US/Intl keyboards and chargers, yes?
<CanoeBerry> hullaw: meet you for lunch!
<CanoeBerry> hullaw: great to hear from ya..
<hullaw> Canoeberry:  thanks!  Will do :0
<CanoeBerry> Sorry we just wrapped up, tentatively approving both proposals :)
<hullaw> No problem, knew I's only catch a bit
<hullaw> *I'd
<CanoeBerry> Smells like carpentry in here..
<CanoeBerry> Really.  What a coincidence..
<hullaw> Absolutely cranking that smell a ton lately!
<CanoeBerry> I wish :)
<hullaw> Well, back to the grind...bye til another day. :)
<aa> CanoeBerry: hello! Yes, I understand
<aa> I don't think that will be a problem for developers (I use alt-intl on a US keyboard myself)
<CanoeBerry> aa: thanks for confirming. hope to get you DHL# around Wedn/Thurs.
<aa> CanoeBerry: thank you!
<aa> will let you when I get any news
<aa> know*
<aa> :)
* Caryl  has joined #olpc-meeting
<Caryl> I missed it.  is anyone left?
<Caryl> oh well...I got a lot of work done on the house this morning
<Caryl> bye...going to eat lunch.
Personal tools
  • Log in
  • Login with OpenID
About OLPC
About the laptop
About the tablet
Projects
OLPC wiki
Toolbox