|This command is run in the standard Linux environment via the Terminal Activity. The GUI will probably not integrate comfortably with the XO Laptop's Sugar environment. Your user experience may vary considerably depending on the established environment and the other programs running on the laptop, may need re-installation after an OS Update. See the Linux software category for other commands.|
Flash is a popular format for interactive online content, including animation, video, and games. The Browse activity on the XO can display Flash content embedded in web pages, provided that an appropriate Flash plugin is installed.
Official Adobe Flash
Adobe makes the official Flash plugin, but OLPC cannot ship it on the XOs because it is legally restricted and doesn't meet the OLPC's standards for open software. Instead, the XO ships with Gnash, an open source Flash plugin that can play some (but not all) Flash content. As shipped on the XO, it cannot play YouTube videos. Skilled users can rebuild it to include that functionality.
- gstreamer (which may include OpenQuicktime), see: Software components#Libraries and Plugins
- helix (which can play Flash, among other formats),
- see: Software components#Applications (and ports) under development for B2
- Ask OLPC a Question about Software#Include Flash Player?
- Ask OLPC a Question#RealPlayer in OPLC and applications download
- Web Browser#Flash in the default web browser