Funding Sources for ILXO
Revision as of 21:54, 2 July 2008 by 18.104.22.168
Possible Funding Sources
- 826 Valencia: Children's education program in Chicago, http://www.826valencia.org/
- Community Outreach programs in Chicago area
- Education grants and programs at local universities and colleges
- Google.org (http://www.google.org/inform.html - I think we fit pretty well into their inform & empower goal, but the application process may be a little long)
- General Grants (Chris will look more into this)
- Ben & Jerry's Foundation- request for small grants $1000 or less (http://www.benjerry.com/foundation/guidelines.html)
- Community foundations in Chicago
- City/Local government-special projects funding
- Support for local businesses
- Rotary International
- Educate the Children Foundation ---> I don't know that they actually have money, but they'd probably be interested in OLPC, and easy to talk to since they're based in Barrington.
- We're requesting funding fairly last minute, so having an organization who would be able to write off a few thousand dollars to us as a part of some existing program that they're doing would be ideal. To do this we should consider the following:
- Focusing on groups that work on children's education, general community outreach, appropriate technologies & sustainable development, one's that fund and support non-profits or new initiatives or something along those lines so that the organizations values fit more closely with ILXO's.
- Sticking to organizations in the Chicago area and offering our office space for them to use as their own hacking space
- Offering organizations to "sponsor" some our workshops and/or classes and get some of our funding that way
- What's the perceived value of funding us, what are we offering?