Grassroots meetings/November 29, 2008
Revision as of 01:22, 4 December 2008 by 18.104.22.168
- "selling something now is signficant" (WdB)
- goal: talk to press in countries as much as possible => consistency of media message
- da truth: "we are trying to make this happen and we're doing our very best, but admittedly there are some big challenges"
- focus on the "give" part
- coordinated "give" message on grassroots Web sites and also olpceu.org
- European Give Many details (to-be-finalized)
- WdB will concentrate on Give Many this week
- 100+ XOs @ ~€20,000 includes invitation for 2 people to come to quarterly workshops at 1CC
- 1000+ XOs @ similar unit cost includes extras, such as invitation to country where units are deployed
- Give Many outreach: directly contact CSR people at companies (OLPC EU will do that)
(WdB in particular thinking about Mali, Liberia, Cuba)
- list of tax-exempt countries, if it's done properly: Begium, US, France, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, Netherlands
- still waiting for: UK, Poland
- missing Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria
- need charity in each country
- shipping and repair shouldn't be handled by the same company
- Amazon.fr and Amazon.de should be engaged
- limited quantity this winter
- G1G1 Europe details:
- G1G1 2008 in the US used as the standard for a broad G1G1EU
- start with an initial set of XOs for early delivery
- sent to Brussels office where power-adapters, translated 4-page flyer and grassroots printout to be added by Adam et al. (details need to be finalized)
- focus on "Give" - being able to contribute to this awesome project (see media message above)
- G1G1 as one way to do it
- list of projects and groups to contribute to
- fun idea: give every 1000 group a "red" one ;-)
- send people to the OLPC France Repair Center for repairs and spare parts
- to work out in the mid- to long-term -- Amazon store languages, paying via local bank accounts, details on tax exemption, power-adapters, keyboards, warranties.
- future meetings: directly before or after FOSDEM 2009 in Brussels (Feb. 7/8) was discussed.
- meeting at 25C3 already in the works; tmplab and some olpc-at folks, and sj / mako / mika / dogi will be there.
- see ongoing thread on IAEP mailing-list for related information
- we need to have a localized web front page for France and Germany with a link to Amazon UK and to simply Give (prototype including)
- this page could be hosted by Amazon.com or by OLPC Europe
- Lionel - working on this web page should be done very quickly. Thanks to Walter, we had a first contact with Fondation de France to mount the "Give One" link.
About the repair process:
- One another European Repair Center exist: http://martenvijn.nl/trac/wiki/olpc-nl . Depending of the place where the XO come from, it could be interesting to use it. More: Marten repairs all sort of thing as a full time job, not OLPC France :-)
- What about the delivery cost from the customer to the repair center and from the repair center to the customer ? It should be clear this the customer should pay for both and for the spare part price...