Description and goals
The activity has three modes.
- Mode 1: "Disclaimer." Upon its first run, it shows only a message explaining that a child should read through this with parents
- Mode 2: "Comic book." This saves a state file indicating the message has been read, which enables the comic book reader functionality. When the comic book has been read all the way through, the saved state is updated, and the "License chooser" is enabled.
- Mode 3: "License chooser." You can see a graphical license choosing widget. This is intended as a mockup for a sugar control panel applet to choose a default license for journal items.
 Development status
I, Asheesh Laroia at Creative Commons, originally wrote the activity, but CC doesn't have a lot of time to maintain it right now. I'm happy to answer questions.
 What works
The activity is already useful as a way to deliver a comic explaining what CC is.
 What could use help
- I have no Trac component for these bugs yet.
- I emailed sysadmin at laptop.org to request one called license-activity. RT #23118.
- The license chooser at the end should be hooked up to the Sugar Control Panel and treated as a default license chooser.
- I should talk to Eben about this.
- The activity can be launched more than once; is this an issue?
- Raised on devel@.
- answer seems to be that I should let this happen.
- activity.info should have license metadata (gack)
- Store activity state so that "My favorite license" can be restored from Journal
- "Smaller images, there are almost 4Mb of png files eating into the precious XO storage space, I'm sure jpg would be more than good enough."
- "A leaner activity, there is a 3.5Mb 'built' directory in the bundle and digging down most of the is taken up by built/share/liblicense/licenses, could the license data be kept compressed and just unzipped when finally displayed, text compresses really well, and python has modules for working with compressed files."
 Activity info box
|Icon:||warning.png"" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.|
|Short description:||An interactive licensing module that allows laptop users to decide upon a license for the content they create. Using iconic, comic book style documentation (see Sharing Creative Works below), the activity is designed to educate children and parents about Creative Commons' licensing options.|
|Description:|| After viewing the comics, there is an option of selecting a license. This is intended to be the default license for the creative works one creates on the XO.
The license chooser is clear and easy-to-use, allowing the license permissions to be explored by all users of an XO.
|Available languages (codes):||en|
|URL from which to download the latest .xo bundle||http://labs.creativecommons.org/~paulproteus/olpc/License-4.xo|
|Last tested version number:||4|
|The releases with which this version of the activity has been tested.||8.2.0 (767)|
|Development status:||4. Beta|
|Ready for testing (development has progressed to the point where testers should try it out):|
|smoke tested :|
|test plan available :|
|test plan executed :|
|developer response to testing :|
|Activity bundle||http://labs.creativecommons.org/~paulproteus/olpc/License-4.xo +|
|Activity genre||Other +|
|Activity version||4 +|
|Contact person||Paulproteus +|
|Description||After viewing the comics, there is an opti … After viewing the comics, there is an option of selecting a license. This is intended to be the default license for the creative works one creates on the XO. The license chooser is clear and easy-to-use, allowing the license permissions to be explored by all users of an XO. ions to be explored by all users of an XO.|
|Devel status||4. Beta +|
|Language code||en +|
|Short description||An interactive licensing module that allow … An interactive licensing module that allows laptop users to decide upon a license for the content they create. Using iconic, comic book style documentation (see Sharing Creative Works below), the activity is designed to educate children and parents about Creative Commons' licensing options. about Creative Commons' licensing options.|
|Software release||8.2.0 (767) +|
|Source code||http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/cclicensing;a=summary +|
|Sugar icon||warning.png"" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.|