To contribute a story or news idea, see the OLPC newsroom.
This page historically hosted announcements and news about OLPC, along with the Sugar Labs current events page.
- Learning Chat piece: 278 words, ready now. File:Learning Chat.docx
- Making Learning Visible: Claudia's (& Walter) original is 25 pages. Submitted to a journal. w/o OLPC Background it is down to 12-15 pages w/ screenshots.
- This can become a 4-part series.
- Homo docens: 500+ words, Antonio approved my edits. File:Homo docens JLedits.docx
- Further work: we can definitely ask him to contribute on a quarterly basis but I've found that I have to be very specific as to what I am asking to do and he has to be comfortable that it is consistent with his academic work.
- Ask for a new piece on the epidemiology of learning
- Ometepe - A beautiful piece with wonderful images. RAH posted a personal and lengthy version (1500+ words) that he shared with his private distribution list. I made an edited version (1200 words) that could be shared publicly. Must check with RAH on this. File:Ometepe articulo por Rodrigo Arboleda.pdf File:Ometepe by Rodrigo Arboleda (3).pdf
- I had hoped that we could do a video series with Rodrigo but the budget hasn't been approved. Giulia - can we get an answer on this?
- Rwanda case studies
- Ceri Whatley - summary of importance of headmasters - confirm subset to reuse
- Social mapping project - 1- or 2-part piece - check w/ Julia
- Grandmother project - 2- or 3-part piece - check w/ Julia (and is there more to that awesome series?)
- Other Africa
- So. Africa case studies
- Peru and Uruguay
- Oscar B's piece on the IADB study?
- You said that Uruguay and Peru produce a ton of content on a continuous basis. I'm struggling a bit with how we can easily get the content and translate it into English. Giulia - could Olga help? I don't want to burden her with more work. Maybe we do this every 2-3 months.
- Other LatAm
- Colombia: Sandra's quarterly? newsletter and website could feed into this. Plus english translations.
- Nicaragua: Regular update, beyond Ometepe?
- Paraguay: Contact ParaguayEduca
- Mexico: Ask Mariana @ OLPCMexico
- OLPC Australia
- Great text and videos.
- OLPC Europe
- Quarterly update from them?
- OLPC Oceania
- Quarterly updates from Mike Hutak
- OLPC Jamaica
- Quarterly update from Sameer, good videos.
- North America
- Miami - David! and a story from Chester
- Canada - Jennifer Martino, Q
Weekly OLPC News postings to the community-news mailing list give updates on recent work. Weekly summaries were also posted on-wiki during 2008. Weekly postings to the list were put on hold at the start of 2009, and started again in 2010.
Sporadic translations of news archives from 2008 and earlier can be found here:
Walter continues to post summaries of Sugar development on his blog.
For an archive of OLPC media coverage, see the 2005-2008 press archives.
Developed through 2011 by the Racepoint Group, OLPC's pro bono PR firm.
- 2008-08-06 : One Laptop per Child expands its presence in Asia with project leads in India and China
- 2008-05-20 : One Laptop per Child frames the next generation of the revolutionary XO laptop, with a lighter dual-touchscreen design.
- 2008-05-15 : Microsoft Windows XP is now available on the XO laptop
- 2008-05-03 : One Laptop per Child appoints Charles Kane as President and Chief Operating Officer
- 2008-01-07 : One Laptop per Child Giving Campaign Raises $35 Million in 2007
- 2007-12-12 : The Kite Runner Inspires Gift Through One Laptop
- 2007-12-05 : Peru launches OLPC with 40,000 laptops, starting with one-classroom schools across the country.
- 2007-12-04 : Birmingham, Alabama commits to One Laptop per Child, with a pilot of 15,000 laptops across the city.
- 2007-11-24 : The Holiday Season Starts with Giving One Laptop
- 2007-10-29 : OLPC wins a bid to provide 100,000 laptops to children in Uruguay, to be overseen by the Uruguayan CEIBAL project
- 2007-10-22 : One Laptop per Child creates the world's "greenest" laptop computer
- 2007-06-11 : Mass Production of XO's begins! at Quanta's Chinese facilities.
- 2007-01-03 : OLPC Announces First-of-Its-Kind User Interface for XO Laptop Computer