OLPC:Volunteer Infrastructure Group/2008-08-26
<hhardy> hello all! <hhardy> adric emailed me that he is running a bit late <kimquirk> hi <hhardy> Welcome to the OLPC Volunteer INfrastructure Group meeting <isforinsects> Hi-hi all <isforinsects> paulproteus, ping
<hhardy> Here's the agenda + the addition of ACTION ITEMS <hhardy> gregdek will chastise me if that isn't in here <hhardy> triage and migration of sysadmin docs from internalwiki <hhardy> rt <hhardy> pootle <hhardy> wiki <hhardy> drupal <hhardy> big sister <hhardy> content server <hhardy> mailing list <hhardy> installation/configuration of crank and pedal mirrors at 1cc <hhardy> recruitment <hhardy> update roles/responsibilities on wiki <hhardy> ACTION ITEMS <hhardy> general discussion <hhardy> any additions to the agenda? <paulproteus> isforinsects, pong <kimquirk> build server?
<hhardy> Anyone who is new please briefly intriduce yourselves <hhardy> ok will add that <paulproteus> I'm Asheesh Laroia. I'm the web team leader for Students for Free Culture, and spending time on IRC instead of doing my day job as a software engineer at Creative Commons. * hhardy has changed the topic to: introductions <hhardy> hello Asheesh <hhardy> anyone else new?
 Sysadmin docs
* hhardy has changed the topic to: triage and migration of sysadmin docs from internalwiki <hhardy> there is some discussion of this topic on the discussion page at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Infrastructure_gang <isforinsects> one suggestion was to store the docs (what needs to be shared) in git? <hhardy> yes and I like that idea <hhardy> we need one or a few people to do this <hhardy> any takers? <hhardy> ok we will defer this or I will do it <isforinsects> I think you need to do it <hhardy> I think adric is not here so we will defer rt for now <isforinsects> or at least provide the sanitized docs. <hhardy> ok ACTION ITEM: HH to migrate docs <hhardy> yes
* hhardy has changed the topic to: pootle <hhardy> pootle is a tool to facilitate translation which we host <isforinsects> What about it? <hhardy> it would be great if we could host this in the community <hhardy> unmanindu: has suggested we recruit some community maintainers for the system <hhardy> anyone interested? <hhardy> we will defer that then
* hhardy has changed the topic to: wiki <hhardy> isforinsects: want to say something about wiki-gang? <isforinsects> Yes, I've finalized the documentation/recruitment page on the wiki [[wiki gang]] <isforinsects> as well as created a nav-header and organized a half dozen or so open tasks. <hhardy> link? <isforinsects> http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=Wiki_gang <isforinsects> Henry also set me up with a mailing list yesterday <isforinsects> firstname.lastname@example.org <hhardy> I am coming to appreciate the wiki more and more <hhardy> http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/wiki-gang <hhardy> Henry==hhardy <isforinsects> I have the semantic wiki expert s.page on board, as well as some of our other wiki-regulars and I will be sending out a specific recruiting message this evening after the OLPC Boston meeting at Cosi's <hhardy> and I will recruit for the i-g there tonight <isforinsects> And I pinged Frances to recruit for the Support-gang. <isforinsects> Other than that, I think that everyone saw the wiki-stats that were in weekend and community news? <isforinsects> That's all I have to say
- hhardy has changed the topic to: Drupal
- adric_road (~email@example.com) has joined #olpc-admin
<hhardy> Our learning team has a drupal at http://learning.laptop.org which could use some community assistance and content <hhardy> hellp adric <hhardy> hello even <hhardy> help also :)
<hhardy> Adric: is it ok if I transfer the rt tickets about rt itself to you? <isforinsects> I think that it's pretty awesome and should be supported as much as we can. <isforinsects> Let's come back to RT we skipped over it in favor of drupal <isforinsects> :P
<hhardy> ok sorry anything further on Drupal? <isforinsects> Yes. Who has the latest from Julianio? <hhardy> Haven't heard recetnyl who will ping him? <isforinsects> I pinged him about a vulnerability the other day and he said that he would fix it. <isforinsects> I don't now if he's interested in community involvement? <isforinsects> Do we have anyone who knows drupal? <hhardy> we should offer our services and see if we can help <isforinsects> I know a bit, but not much. <isforinsects> Alright, I'll offer the support of the sysadmin team if no one minds. <hhardy> ACTION ITEM: isforinsects to ping Juliano RE: learning.l.o
* hhardy has changed the topic to: RT <hhardy> Adric: is it ok if I transfer the rt tickets about rt itself to you? <adric_road> sure <hhardy> Adric I hope you are not texting while driving! :) <hhardy> ACTION ITEM: hhardy to transfer tickets RE: rt to Adric <adric_road> tetxt? this ssh and ircii :/ <hhardy> oh cause you are adric_road I wondered <kimquirk> hhardy: I can do that (since I own the RT tickets)... <hhardy> ACTION ITEM: kimquirk to transfer her rt tickets to Adric <hhardy> there are a few more I own also <isforinsects> Next action item? <hhardy> Adric: anything further RE: rt?
 Content server
- hhardy has changed the topic to: content server
<isforinsects> http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=19415 <isforinsects> I feel that there is a need for a content server in the OLPC community. <isforinsects> Like Dev for developers, we need a content dev server to develop some content. <hhardy> it would be nice if we can find someone in the community to host this <isforinsects> I have some tasks that need done and require more space and processing power than I currently have. <hhardy> would need respectable cpu, memory and bandwidth <hhardy> anyone have any possibilities? <isforinsects> For instance I have 60GiB or so images that need to be processed and reuploaded. And CJL has some scraping of public domain materials that needs to be doen. <isforinsects> I spoke to the freecontent people about this earlier. <paulproteus> I can lend some CPU, memory, and bandwidth to that. <hhardy> we should ping osuosl <paulproteus> I don't know all the requirements yet. <isforinsects> And paulproteus offered a few hundred GiB on his makeusad server <hhardy> ACTION ITEM: isforinsects and paulproteus to investigate a home for content server, ok? <isforinsects> We ought to develop some specs of what this machine would require and the proceedure for getting an account. <paulproteus> Yes, I defer the requirements capturing mostly to isforinsects. <isforinsects> I will capture req's <hhardy> also ping gregdek maybe fedora can host <isforinsects> What is the current procedure for getting an account on dev.l.o? <paulproteus> isforinsects, Did you say this may be something laptop.org might spend money on, as far as hardware? <hhardy> could include the sound library, pakistani sesame street, photo archives, etc <isforinsects> We would need to document a little more first of course. <hhardy> possibly if we come up with a good plan I can propose <hhardy> I have not my own budget <isforinsects> This very well may be something that a standard hosting company would be willing to do. I belive that todd kelsey talked to a lot of hosting companies and got some free accounts for OLPC <isforinsects> It would be nice if one were a dedicated server that we had root on. <isforinsects> I will pursue this and paulproteus and I should present at next weeks meeting? <isforinsects> Sound good?> <hhardy> ok isfor pls coordinate w/ paulproteus and report next week? <hhardy> lol <paulproteus> Great. <hhardy> I will be on vacation next week isforinsects will coordinate the meeting in case I cannot get online <hhardy> I plan to check in tho <isforinsects> Ok, next action item?
 Build server
* hhardy has changed the topic to: build server <isforinsects> I need to get to the OLPC_Boston meeting across the street at 6 :( <hhardy> we have a nice big fast box for a build server but since dgilmore left to go to redhat nobody is owning it <hhardy> this requires a pretty deep knowledge of the fedora build process <hhardy> we will look for volunteers from the community and see if fedoras infrastructure volunteers might pitch in * adric_road has quit (Remote host closed the connection) <dgilmore> hhardy: what are you talking about? <hhardy> oh hi what's the status of weka? <dgilmore> hhardy: im still working on it <hhardy> I haven't heard anything recently <dgilmore> its a compose box not a build box <kimquirk> dgilmore: what's a compose box? <hhardy> dgilmore: you want to comtinue owning weka then? <dgilmore> hhardy: thats fine. <kimquirk> (for someone who doesn't know the difference) <dgilmore> cscott was supposed to call me today to go over some of it <dgilmore> kimquirk: images are composed on it <dgilmore> kimquirk: as apposed to packages being built <kimquirk> dgilmore: does that mean they actually get built on a different server? <dgilmore> kimquirk: yes * adric (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined #olpc-admin <hhardy> dgilmore: have you or would you please levelset us on status and progress of weka pls? * adric is ok, just got lost... will bbl <dgilmore> hhardy: i could if i new what levelsetting is * adric has quit (Remote host closed the connection) <hhardy> ==document it <dgilmore> thanks for using english <kimquirk> dgilmore: how about what the next step is, how we can help get there, and when it will be in use (schedule kind of things) <dgilmore> kimquirk: im comfortable that mash is working as expected <dgilmore> so i need to extend the image composing scripts to build an image <dgilmore> then setup the process to push todownload.laptop.org <dgilmore> kimquirk: so in the next day or two with cscott's help it will eb ready to go <hhardy> great <kimquirk> sounds good. thanks!
 Mailing list
* hhardy has changed the topic to: mailing list <hhardy> we could use another admin/moderator for the olpc-sysadmin mailing list, it is pretty low volume so far <isforinsects> I'm heading out, I'll be back in an hour or so. <hhardy> it is a mailman list <hhardy> any takers? <hhardy> ok deferred
 Crank & Pedal mirrors
* hhardy has changed the topic to: installation/configuration of crank and pedal mirrors at 1cc <hhardy> I have two machines intended to be able to be used as hot spares for crank and pedal.l.o <hhardy> I am having some problems figuring out how to get them to be able to autoboot into the images so they can be a hot failover <hhardy> if someone with experience in this can assist me it would be much appreciated
* hhardy has changed the topic to: recruitment <hhardy> Let's get the word out to people we know and trust who might be ineterested in the infrastructure group <hhardy> in that regard will be heading over to the Boston OLPC meeting in a few min
 update roles/responsibilities on wiki
* hhardy has changed the topic to: update roles/responsibilities on wiki <hhardy> ACTION ITEM: hhardy and/or isforinsects to update roles/responsibilties for the i-g <hhardy> on wiki <paulproteus> hhardy, Maybe you can set up heartbeat for that? re: autoboot <paulproteus> I haven't set this up myself, though. <hhardy> paulproteus: I'd appreciate another mind on this I've gotten to a point of frustration where it is taking longer than it should <hhardy> can I consult with you? <paulproteus> Yes, but not right now. Maybe tomorrow this time? <hhardy> sure tomorrow this time this chan
* hhardy has changed the topic to: ACTION ITEMS <hhardy> any further action items other than noted above? * kimquirk (~email@example.com) has left #olpc-admin <hhardy> ok tabling further discussion, thanks for coming all! <hhardy> paulproteus email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact info pls <hhardy> thanks!