OLPC 8.2.0 Features
| NOTE: The contents of this page are not set in stone, and are subject to change!|
This page is a draft in active flux ...
The purpose of providing software for connected laptops is to make affordances for desirable human behaviors like
- reading, writing, computing, sharing
- reflecting, creating images and sounds,
- speaking, broadcasting, publishing
- searching, listing, following,
- configuring, modifying, and debugging
Some affordances provided by the OLPC 8.1.1 operating system and most collections of activities include:
- associate with 802.11 b/g access points with or without WEP and WPA1 encryption.
- associate with other XO or Active-Antenna 802.11s meshes.
- keymaps are correct or are very close to correct for US/International, Amharic, Spanish, Portuguese, and Kreyól keyboards.
- translations of system strings need help!
Recording Audio and Video
- Pippy, Record, and TamTam will be able to play and record sounds.
- Pippy and Record will be able to take photographs.
- Record will be able to record short videos.
- Measure will be able to measure signals with or without DC voltage bias.
- volume keys on the keyboard will adjust the speaker volume while Sugar is running.
- control audio volume with the volume keys in sugar
- pictures can be composed with text in a system editor such as Write. (We actually expect Write to do a lot of other things.)
- fancier multimedia like video, audio, and programs can be manipulated in an environment like Etoys.
- copy-and-paste media clips between activities
- download media clips into the Journal
Interpreters for Standard Data Formats
- be able to display and edit DOC, ODT, JPEG, PNG, GIF, WAV, OGG, HTML, JS, some SWF, and several other less-well known formats.
- We expect NOT to be able to display restricted formats including MP3, MPEG, most AVI, RM, FLV, etc.
Extensibility and Malleability of Software
- w/ internet or preparation: install new activities and library content on a raw OS via the internet or via USB keys.
- w/ internet: install new software via 'yum install' or 'rpm -U' on a raw OS via the internet. Data in /home should be PRESERVED.
- w/ internet: olpc-update to new versions of the operating system via the internet. Data in /home should be PRESERVED.
- w/ preparation: olpc-update to new versions of the operating system via USB. Data in /home should be PRESERVED.
- w/ preparation: reflash appropriately signed builds via USB. NO DATA should be preserved.
- access the root account via the virtual terminals or via the Terminal activity (if present.)
- Some downstream partners such as Uruguay intend to disable user access to the root account as part of their theft-deterrence plan.
- access to the firmware "ok" prompt w/ developer key, requestable through Browse and installable through the Terminal.
Real-time Synchronous (RS) Collaboration
- Reliability of current RS collaboration is conditioned in complicated ways on available network bandwidth, packet loss rates, connectivity scenario, and exact software protocol/implementation. See the Collaboration network testbed for details.
- Installing or removing activities should never change the ability of the system to run.
- In practice, bad things may happen if you run out of disk space or if you remove/modify the Journal or Terminal.
- Alternately, malicious code could circumvent the isolation framework separating activities from system software and user data.
Power Control & Conservation
- when the lid is closed or when the power button is pressed while Sugar is running, suspend in order to conserve power.
- resume from suspend in response to lid opening or power-button presses
- cut power by holding the power button for several seconds
- power off or reset the machine via the Central XO-person's Palette
- control screen brightness and suspend state from the root command-line
- control screen brightness with the brightness keys in Sugar
- reliably store user data to and retrieve user data from FAT16/VFAT formatted USB Mass Storage devices.
- reliably store user data to and retrieve user data from FAT16/VFAT formatted SD/SDHC devices.
- USB ethernet adapters, keyboards, and mice should function similarly to their normal function on other operating systems.
- login via serial consoles.
- We do not have strong expectations about the behavior of other peripherals.
- interact with one activity or "location" at a time
- switch between the current activity and other locations with the view keys or the frame
- switch between activities with Alt-Tab or the activity ring
- start new activities and stop running ones with the frame, ring, or activity toolbar.
- list, search, and filter records of actions on the system by time
- filter records of actions by title
- laptops should travel through the delivery chain unactivated.
- laptops should not boot until they are activated.
- can be activated wirelessly (with a school server) (not recently tested)
- can be activated via USB.
- developer keys should grant access to OFW.
- should be able to flash any build from OFW.
- should be able to rewrite manufacturing data (e.g. language, write-protect tags) from OFW
- should respond to gamepad Cheat codes