... and thanks for visiting the "OLPC" related Wiki-Pages, for the One Laptop Per Child Universal Primary Education project regarding Europe. This website is a collaborative website in which you can create a login and then edit and add the pages. This tool is made available by the One Laptop Per Child not for profit. This is an "Open Community" project, similar to the Wikipedia, wikibooks and Open Source Community projects, like Linux, OpenOffice, etc. and it is working along Agenda 21 and Millennium Development Goal nr.2: Bringing Universal Primary Education. To edit text on this page or add pages, log in and and "edit page / save page" button will appear.
- 2' video - OLPC Intro part 1
- 2' video - OLPC Intro part 2
- 7' video: Impact on teachers, parents, kids, society.
OLPC has opened a legal OLPC entity in Europe; Belgium host the European Headquarters of OLPC in the magnificent surroundings at the befriended SWIFT company near Brussels.
Europe is a very multi-cultural society with a very diverse diaspora from and to just about all countries in the world. We hope that this diaspora will work their way to these pages and that societies will benefit from these citizens with one leg in Europe and another in their diaspora countries (of origin) to develop leadership for OLPC, Agenda 21, the MDG's and accelerate bringing the level that our planet can be a nice place for all humans to new and inspiring heights for generations to come.
Please feel free to create sub-categories or list or start collaborating, teaming up and expanding our and your projects, existing and new ones in one of these sub-categories:
The "Une Ecole Par Enfant/One Laptop Per Child - Initiative" has so many doors of entrance, one for just about every player in society:
- the ICT landscape obviously. You were an ICT student and you didn't contribute in Humanities'largest Educational Endeavour ever? That awkward feeling when your kid asks you a question and you realize you missed a boat or at least you're on the wrong ship?
- the Education landscape, pedagogy university departments obviously, but also cabinets of education interested to link up their educational landscape with the open source and open hardware community to give some resistance against the Microsoft's, Acer's, Toshiba's, Apple's, eBoard manufacturers, telecom operators obviously all eager to make money and hook up our students, parents and kids as nice compliant consumers ;) OLPC and the OLPC Community, the XO-XS laptop tablet: Welcome linking up in the largest educational effort ever undertaken
- Really, stop drafting these courses in your own little corner, join other teams in your discipline making the best ever eBook on your discipline ... imagine you get hired to personalise the version for a specific language/region or explain how to make such books and how they become interactive books in the OLPC XO-XS laptop/tablets ! When was the last time you checked if your Ministry of Education or the EU Directorate of Education has funds and calls for proposals to pay you for doing all this ?
- but also the industry interested in generating CO2e certificates via OLPC deployments, or for their CSR programs = Corporate Social Responsibility
- the health sector will be very interested in the OLPC link Health-teams with wonderful projects s.a. telemedicine, usb plug in eStetoscopes, eMicroscopes, eEchography for pregnant women
- economy students: econometry, by how much the gdp or wealth and happiness rises by implementing an OLPC deployment in a region
- Statistics: Dear statisticians, how does the OLPC deployments help in collecting data. Relevant, real time data that is comparable whatever the country.
- marketing: do you love the OLPC advertisements as much as we do ? Check out youtube or the OLPC logo creation team
- volunteers / retired but still loads to share: join bed-time story reading grandma's, enlist yourself so kids/OLPC community members can contact you when they are in need of help. The OLPC kids and families can television's you real time over their internet, using their OLPC XO-XS laptop-tabled that is equipped with wifi video cam + speakers and a microphone - what's not going as planned and you can what's going on, how to repair, how it will work, ...
In short, the spirit of OLPC includes one core thing: the community. This includes everyone, from the children and their families to their teachers and everyone who is collaborating towards the success of the project. Make sure you'll be able to tell your kids, grand-kids you were part of this great initiative. The largest, most comprehensive educational effort ever undertaken by Humanity, and you were part of it! Congratulations! Create a login, start writing who you are, what you can do, what you want to do, what you don't want to do anymore, how much time you have available, etc. Soon others will link up to you and start interacting. You'll be coached, trained as you are doing. Hey and since the OLPC community is worldwide, the OLPC help and help channels are there 24h/24h - 365 days a year !
- How to get in touch
- * #olpc-europe (and #olpc-groups) on freenode.net
- * #olpc on freenode.net (as there is so little english speaking olpc community in Europe -collapsed- and even world wide, it's better to link here) --SvenAERTS 22:59, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- * Grassroots mailing list.
- How to get involved
- There are various forms of participation, including:
I proposed people to have a look at the update Europe page and invited them for a Skype svenaerts call. The result: the next day not a single person has contacted me, nor on my Skype profile, nor here in the discussion pages. --SvenAERTS 19:19, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
- Yes, I expected that. There are very few users of this Wiki now, as judged by server logs and RecentChanges. Most active users are technical. Some of the Wiki accounts may not have e-mail addresses. All you have done is made a lot of edits, and perhaps I was the only person to notice. It goes to show that you should use alternate methods to reestablish community, and if the Wiki does not win this competition, so be it. --Quozl 06:27, 24 January 2014 (UTC)
Welcome to this lists of grassroots organisations, which feel somewhat part of OLPC Europe.
Please add yours :-)
There's one special one and that is that on the European territory, OLPC has an official legal entity near Brussels: the European Headquarters of OLPC.
- OLPC Austria
- OLPC Belgium
- OLPC Bulgaria
- OLPC Croatia
- OLPC Denmark
- OLPC France
- OLPC Germany
- OLPC Greece
- OLPC Italy
- OLPC Netherlands
- OLPC Poland
- OLPC Russia
- OLPC Switzerland
- OLPC Slovenia
- OLPC Turkey
- OLPC UK
The lemma Europe on en.Wikipedia.org.
|Name and link where we develop this||Their Link||Date||Place||Contact User||Status||Infos|
|OLPC in Euronews; interview during the EU Africa Business||Their Link: http://www.euronews.com/2014/04/02/europe-and-africa-working-together-to-build-investment-opportunities/ (fastforward to 2:05)||Date: 2014/04/02/||Place: Brussels||Contact User: --SvenAERTS 13:30, 3 April 2014 (UTC)||Status: not relevant||Infos: olpc community member Sven AERTS was filmed with an XO and interviewed for over 15'|
|More: olpc at the Eu Africa Business Forum 2014 Brussels||Their Link: http://www.euafrica-businessforum.eu/||Date: 20140331 & 20140401||Place: Brussels||Contact User: --SvenAERTS 09:51, 2 April 2014 (UTC)||Status||Infos: Major event with many presidents of state, kings, ministers and leaders s.a. Ms. MANDELA and business decision makers that followed them or thought this worth participating in the forum. The olpc-community was invited to participate in the session on eSchools and to formulate recommendations to the European Commission. More: olpc at the Eu Africa Business Forum 2014 Brussels|
|IDAY English and French Newsletter addressed to governmental and non-governmental leaders dealing with development issues.||Their Link: http://issuu.com/iday-international/docs/newsletter_spring_2014||Date: March Newsletter||Place: English and French Newsletter addressed to governmental and non-governmental leaders dealing with development issues.||Contact User: --SvenAERTS 10:01, 2 April 2014 (UTC)||Status||Infos:|
|OLPC and The BETT show||||22. to 25. January 14 (every second half of january in every year)||London||--SvenAERTS 11:55, 16 January 2014 (UTC)||Status: Mentioned it to Giulia D'AMICO = Mgr OLPC Tablet||Infos: The learning technology event - The BETT show is the global meeting place for the education technology community, bringing together 35,000 educators and learning professionals every January. Attending the event is the best way to see the latest technology and innovative solutions that inspire, in order to shape and improve the way people learn from the classroom to the boardroom. olpc Community member Irini POUTAKIDOU confirmed that OLPC Uruguay gave a key-note presentation. --SvenAERTS 10:01, 2 April 2014 (UTC)|
|Solutions Linux||||29. to 31. January 08||Paris||florian||Fixed|
|FOSDEM||||23. to 24. February 08 (every year)||Brussels||h0lger||Fixed||OLPC: Saturday, 23. February, 15:00 to 17:00|
|Chemnitzer Linuxtage||||1. to 2. March 08||Chemnitz||daja77||Fixed||OLPC: Saturday, 1. March, 10:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.|
|next >||CeBIT||||4. to 9. March 08||Hannover||daja77||Fixed||OLPC: Saturday, 8. March, 11:15 a.m. @ LinuxForum|
|next >||OpenExpo 2008||||12. and 13. March 08||Bern, Switzerland||vorburger, Michele||Planned|
|ApacheCon 08||||7. to 11. April 08||Amsterdam||Marten||Talks|
|LinuxTag Berlin||||28. to 31. May 08||Berlin||holger, joko||Fixed|
|OpenCommunityCamp||||10-17th August 2008||Oegstgeest,The Netherlands||Marten||Fixed|