The vast majority of XOs in Haiti originate from a 2008 pilot program co-financed by the Give One Get One program and the Inter-American Development Bank. Since the the 2010 Haiti Earthquake, dozens of smaller pilots and grassroots efforts have continued the implementation of XOs in Haiti. The OLPC map currently lists over 30 deployments in six of the ten geographical departments of Haiti. Major challenges in the deployment of XOs in Haiti include lack of widely available internet and electricity, school damage due to earthquakes, and localization of software and course material to Haitian Creole.
|Number of Laptops||13700|
|Keyboard Layout||OLPC French Keyboard|
|Build||7.1.2 (656), 8.1.0 (703)|
|Date(s) Arrived in Country|
|Deployment Status|| Target of 13.7K XOs, release 8.1.0 or later.
Actual amount deployed unknown.
Deployments and Trials
|Inter-American Development Bank||2008||InterAmerican Development Bank (IDB) is planning a wide trial of 13,200 laptops. IDB is contributing $3,000,000, OLPC is contributing $2,000,000 (presumably in laptops from G1G1), and SES Global is donating bandwidth.|
|Waveplace||February 20, 2008||Port-au-Prince||700|
|Waveplace||June 2009||Petite Rivière Des Nippes||23|
|Waveplace||Spring 2010||Île de la Gonâve, Archaie, Léogâne, Petite-Rivière-de-Nippes||170||
|Port-au-Prince||At College Mixte de l'Experience, young school north of Port-au-Prince's airport experimenting with XOs.|
|Haitian-American Caucus||Croix-des-Bouquets||At the Ecole Shalom.|
|Child in Hand||March 2012||Port-au-Prince, Grand-Goave||Child in Hand sponsored deployments at Mission of Hope Intl. in Grand-Goave (map) and the ORAEDH orphanage in PAP (map).|
- Education in Haiti: OLPC Haiti/Background
- Donating used laptops to Haiti: OLPC_for_Haiti
- Haitian Creole
- Haitian Creole Resources
- Haitian Creole Translation for Education
- OLPC Haiti News: http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/haiti/
- Video from Haitian government: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaaayr_le-projet-xo-olpc-haiti_tech
- Feedback from the Haitian XO Deployment, a presentation from Bastien Guerry & Wanda Eugene, members of the OLPC Learning Team who spent a summer in Haiti.