OLPC Oceania/Community participation guidelines
Community Participation Guidelines for deploying the XO laptop in communities
- Developed at OLPC Asia Learning Workshop, Bangkok, August 2008.
- adapted for the Pacific context by OLPC and SPC
- The XO laptop should be deployed through a process of community consultation; deployment should only proceed with assent of the community, taking account of their needs and concerns; and should be fully integrated into existing systems andtools.
- Without compromising child ownership or education, access to the XO Laptop should be available not just for the child, but the family and the community.
- Communities should develop their own principles and guidance for coordinating communal use of the XO.
- Where appropriate, children should be included and encouraged to activelyparticipate in using the technology for whole-of-community actions and projects.
- The technology should be available to contribute to community efforts and solve community problems and not be leveraged for private personal profit or commercialgain.
- Knowledge and data generated with the laptop is in the public domain, and needs tobe freely available and shared.
- Without discouraging community-level market activity which supports sustainability – such as microfinance, technical services, spare parts repairs and maintenance – communities should put in place disincentives to the emergence of a secondarycommercial market for the XO.
- Communities should share local knowledge, best practices and lessons learned with like communities and within their sub-regional, national and regional contexts.
- Deployment should, wherever possible, proceed in alignment and harmony with existing regional and national efforts on education for sustainable development, andshould be designed to strengthen and enhance those efforts.
- An "end of life" program should be put in place to recover derelict laptops to avoid environmental damage and hazard.
- An Internet Safety program should be established wherever the XO is deployed.