|2007 status: green|
Welcome to the home of the OLPC Philippines group. We are a grassroots coalition of Filipinos living in the Philippines and abroad who are working to bring the OLPC project to Filipino children. Please join us and share your ideas! Feel free to edit this page and any other pages in the wiki if you have something you would like to share, or if you think you can make an improvement to the website.
New OLPC Philippines site http://www.olpcph.co.cc
Use the talk page / Discussion page for your updates especially blogged sites within the Philippines or relevant sites that discussed about OLPC Philippines. Thank you.
To join us, subscribe to the olpc-philippines mailing list and introduce yourself. We often send announcements and have discussions on this list. You can also post a comment to this page's discussion page. If you are new to wikis, you may want to read the Wikieducator tutorial (in English) or ask the mailing list for help.
- Flash as a Gaming/Edu-Gaming Platform for the XO-1
- OLPC Philippines Grassroots Developer Program
- OLPC Philippines Unang Liwanag
- OLPC Philippines Sugar OS functionality test
- OLPC Philippines meeting at G2VC Techbar. Watch the replay at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1109274
- Carlos Nazareno Brought one of the XO-1 units to the Philweavers christmas party, adding awareness about OLPC to the Philippine Web Designer/Developer community.
- Software Freedom Day 2008, National Computer Center, Quezon City - Sept. 20, 2008
- Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008, UP Diliman, Quezon City - Aug. 23, 2008
New OLPC Philippines site http://www.olpcph.co.cc
|14Jun 2008||http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Interested_schools New link and OLPC Philippines will join this one.|
|07Apr 2008||XO-1 was reported And Shown on National Evening News Here In The Philippines IRT our demo to DepEd last Friday Things are looking better here :) --Chief Mike 10:30, 8 April 2008 (EDT)|
|04Apr 2008||Philippino Children receive the very first XO-1 to arrive in Aklan today!|
|.||OLPC-PH Project Manager/Systems Engineer Wenmi01 dropped by at DepED. Cheers Chief Mike!!! See you there, I'm excited to sit there in the Board Room, don't forget to remind them about our efforts. By the way, I'll bring my tools there. We'll be discussing our steps soon. Now we have 3 XOs that can run up to date software, thanks to "helosardig" for bringing an XO1 down to Aklan. User:Wenmi01|
|11Feb 2008||We have approached the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) with Charles Chen. discussion]] ~User:Chief_Mike|
|07Dec 2007||We are currently going to give you some things to do. Please create educational content in HTML, .png and some pdf format. We could have those emailed to Tim or host it somewhere. Right now we're moving next to things that needs attention. We haven't heard anything from DepEd yet. So those who have a greater access please do so. a But do not forget to report to the Mailing List. ~User:Wenmi01|
|14Nov 2007||IRC Channel #olpc-philippines successfully registered @ irc.oftc.net |
please register your nick(name) meet-up times TBD.
|05Nov 2007||Taking the initiative to the next level. Created an informal group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8363657036) to provide a platform for open discussion and collaboration.|
|19Oct 2007||OLPCPH is the headgroup for the small springing groups in the Philippines, pls work with OLPCPH team to centralize efforts and please report. We're looking for you. (Comment from sgc: Where and how can they work with OLPCPH?)|
|15Oct 2007||It's Official! OLPC Uruguay is buying 100,000 XO laptops. Through the Ceibal Project, the Uruguayan government is planning to give one laptop to every school child in the country.|
|23Sep 2007||Sent an introduction email to Sen. Ramon "Bong" Revilla of the Senate of the Philippines.|
|29Aug 2007||OLPCPH was registered as the official name of OLPC Philippines.|
December 8, 2007
There is an urgent need for community help! Friends there is a Project grant competition named Panibagong Paraan 2008 – (http://www.panibagongparaan.com). We need a better writer to write the proposal letter for our entry. We really need your help. If you are a good writer for formal/proposal letter please download the concept paper format (http://www.panibagongparaan.com/ConceptPaperFormat.doc) then after making your draft email it to us (timhack007 *at* gmail.com). If you need more information for making the proposal letter, just email me and we will provide the information. We need to finish the proposal letter before December 22, 2007. After having the first draft I will make it available to everyone so everyone can read and correct it before we send it as our entry. Thanks.
Panibagong Paraan 2008's deadline was extended but, we were still unable get the proposal written and submitted anyway (All of the teachers and the Governor's office were very busy here in Aklan with Xmas and then Kalibo's 796th Ati-Atihan festival), the Provincial Governor's office is willing to provide some funding amount to be determined for Kalibo Elementary School II, Also I have also started setting of the school server and have started some discussion with a Local ISP/cable TV for donating internet access (for their own publicity purposes).
And there are other matching grant avenues available here in the Philippines provided that we have a clear and well documented plan!
- --Chief Mike 10:32, 27 January 2008 (EST)
OLPCPH Core Group and Unang Liwanag
To all volunteers of OLPCPH, I'm Tim and we will now organize the whole group and all the resources we have. We will now plan for Unang Liwanag and create a new jam soon. Please e-mail me so we I can update everyone and we will set a date for online meeting/comference in IRC or any live chat -like yahoo messenger. Thanks
http://www.scotthackett.com/slick_edit/cricket.wav - cricket sound
http://joviko-olpc.blogspot.com/ - Jovi's OLPC XO Notes
PDF Files recommended by User:Wenmi01
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/XODisassemblyLowLevel_Server - XO Disassembly Project
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Skype:_Video - Skype on XO
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OpenSim - Systems Dynamics
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal:_Support_Training - OLE NEPAL ole.org
Please contact Tim and Rowen for more information.
If you'd like to contribute to the OLPC Philippines effort, here are some projects that are looking for help. If you have a project that needs volunteers, please post it here.
The categories are listed and are required to report to OLPCPH:
- Developers - joining the OLPCPH team requires you have the knowledge in IT and Linux
- Educators - wants to create content, add educational technology, help in education, list your name here: Educators
- Stakeholder Engagement - people who want to assist in engaging the various stakeholders (DepED, Local government units, business groups, individual donors, user beneficiaries)
Please contact Tim and Rowen of OLPC Philippines if you want to join us here in OLPCPH
Volunteers needed (posted August 2007)
The Malaya OLPC Philippines group is looking for volunteers in the Philippines to assist with technical development. They need:
- Computer scientists
- IT workers
- Volunteers with Linux administration experience
- Sponsors to donate materials and funding to the projects
- Organizers to contact potential sponsors and manage projects and tasks
- Educators to needed to design implementation of XO Machines
For immediate response contact
- Rowen: +63 927 702 0503 iral (*at)* wenmi01 *(DoT*) tk
- Tim: +63 926 392 9632
- Yahoo Messenger: (Rowen) daegins
- Yahoo Messenger: (Tim) timhack007
Project: Unang Liwanag (First Light) (Pilot) 2008
This project is the "Pilot Launch" project for OLPC Philippines.
This project will be the start of the Pilot Distribution, orders will start from 250 XO machines upto a 100,000 order and then to 250,000.
This project will take orders of school upon approval of OLPC and recognition of government to OLPCPH. As noted the price of XO machine will be almost the same. OLPCPH will be the single point of contact and should be the one to have developer key and activation will be done in OLPCPH office. We won't tolerate any black market to occur.
Estimated deployment time is 6 months to years, starting from approval of government and deployment of OLPC team.
OLPCPH is under negotiation with the Philippine government and work is in progress.
- 4 developer XO machines for Localization development
- 20 XO machines for pilot school
- 1 Pilot School - kindergarten / elementary
- In cooperation with
- Grassroots for Australia OLPC Australia / http://www.ole.org/ / contact: http://lukego.livejournal.com/tag/forth
Lukego's some project working on now: http://fresh.homeunix.net/~luke/misc/etoys/
- Grassroots for Japan: OLPC Japan
- Grassroots for Nepal: OLPC Nepal
- OLPC Nepal OLPC Nepal
- OLPC Uruguay
- Earth Treasury http://www.earthtreasury.org
- Lauren User:Lauren
We are helping OLPC Japan, OLPC Nepal too.
- Sample Pilot in Haiti
Resources and links
- Malaya OLPC PH Demo Page beta v1.1 (Aug 11, 2007) - http://www.myjavaserver.com/~wenmi01/xoph/OLPC/
- OLPC / XO Philippines Photo Gallery - http://olpcph.multiply.com/
- The Philippine National Information Technology Standards - http://www.philnits.org
- William Yu's blog on OLPC - http://hip2b2.yutivo.org/2007/01/31/one-laptop-per-child-olpc-in-manila/
- OLPC in the Philippines blog at http://onelaptop.blogspot.com
- One Laptop Per Child (OPLC): New Pedagogy? from It's Hip2b2 - http://hip2b2.yutivo.org/2007/05/15/one-laptop-per-child-oplc-the-new-pedagogy/)
- Blog > Law Norms Code.ph - Combating Reverse Digital Imperialism: $100 Laptop As a Tool for Development
- A closer look at what '$100 laptop' will be - http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0129/p13s01-stct.html?s=hns
- One Laptop Per Child: Closing the North-South Digital Gap - http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2006/02/24/TECH2006022456940.html
- Low-cost laptop computer should be ready by summer - http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0111/p17s01-stct.html?s=hns
- Poor rural Thai students to get $100 laptops - http://services.inquirer.net/express/06/12/24/html_output/xmlhtml/20061224-40007-xml.html
- Reality Bites - Rich Man, Poor Man Qanta to Build $100 Laptop by Jerry Liao http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2005/12/21/TECH2005122152101.html
Education Discipline System Technology Progress
This page is intended for technical audience and the development team. OLPC_Philippines:Report
Department of Education
This would be the section for Sandeep and Charles in working with the government on DepEd status about OLPC project.
At this point, we have a three-pronged strategy to get DepED sign-off:
1) Pilot projects being sponsored by various groups such as the Unang Liwanag project. Demonstrating the success of the laptop in the target environment is key in getting further traction. We need to show people that this works in the Philippines! Otherwise, we'll continue to be in a conceptual state.
We need people who are interested to be involved in starting an Unang Liwanag project.
2) Coordinating with DepEd to ensure that the project's objectives are aligned with their objectives. For example, if the DepEd wants one computer for one classroom, this contradicts with the OLPC's principle of ownership. There needs to be some re-alignment for both to be in sync.
OLPCPH can help in the deployment of DepEd sponsored pilot and eventual roll-out plan. I think this is where you can provide ground coverage while I (and probably Mel) can provide Boston-based support.
We need people who are interested to be involved in engaging DepED in our activities.
3) Work with local governments units for project deployment within their respective areas. The minimum order quantity has gone down dramatically so deployment in one town is now feasible.
We need people who are interested to be involved in engaging local governments units to start a deployment program in their areas.
For anyone interested to contribute and be involved please feel free to contact Charles Chen using the OLPC mail list email address. You will have to join as a member volunteer (as all of us) to be able to do this.
Add yourself to this list if you are interested in OLPC Philippines.
Please provide a way to contact you e.g. email, mobile, website. Email is good or have a user page link that we can follow if you're registered in this wiki. If you've registered and validated your email account in the wiki, in the user page there's a "E-mail this user" link in the "Toolbox", which can be used.
A reporting Link is available here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Philippines:Report
- Sandeep Chandiramani (sgc). Boston-based global person. Red Hat employee from 1998-2006. Volunteered at OLPC (MIT) in Oct'06. Brought the first prototype to the Philippines in Jan'07. Trying to take the initiative to the next level.
- Rowen Remis R. Iral(Rowen), PhilNITS Society, Fundamental Information Technology Engineer(FE), OLPCPH Project Manager / Education Strategist
- Timothy Paul B. Martinez(Tim), Founder: Malaya Linux User Group, Python programmer, and educator in heart and spirit.
- Ian D. Wate, Member
- William Yu, Ateneo de Manila University
- Romelsa Romero, Master of Science in Information Technology, Instructor at Asian College of Science and Technology
- James Shields, Software Developer; Tacloban, Leyte
- Graham Prosser and Yolanda Prosser
- Mel Chua, OLPC intern (based in Boston, USA) - my parents immigrated to the US from the Philippines ~25 years ago, and much of my extended family still lives near Manila.
- Divine Grace Cristobal - IT Student
- Aldwin B. Evangelista; Programmer, Computer Technician
- Bong Dizon, UP College of Law, 
- Liana Marie Pascual, IT student, web enthusiast, help in providing content 
- Team: Kalibo Elementary School II / Aklan Special Education Center:
- Kouklis, Mike(Chief Mike) |U.S. Navy,Retired Engineer @ Kalibo, Aklan Rural:Philippines
- Mary Joy Barredo-Suganob,Special EDucator very much concern for Children with Intellectual Deficiencies ( Autistic,Cp,ADHD et.al)(Special Education Center Kalibo Aklan DEp.ED Philippines)firstname.lastname@example.org
- several other teachers are interested also to be added to this list later see OLPC Philippines Unang Liwanag
- Boy Jalbuena, & Dalia M. Macalacad F & C Computer Center Kalibo, Aklan DepED contract for deployment/maint. of Linux desk top's to 69 Public High Schools in three provinces of Aklan, Antique, & Capiz (Northern Panay Island).
- Rosvel D. Inado Office of the Vice Governor Province of Aklan (organizing especially the youth in our province).
- User:Lgukalibo Local Government Unit, Municipality of Kalibo, Province of Aklan, Philippines
- Rev. Dennis Hope Sodusta Mission Director, Glad Tidings Ministries, Kalibo, Aklan. - hopelsodusta"at"yahoo"dot"com
- Charles Chen, Principal, Stimulus Capital Ideas, Sydney, Australia. Ex-banker specializing as a business sponsor for ideas or people with new business ventures with special focus on those that can be based in the Philippines. Currenty looking at web based enabling ventures.
- Chris Gonnella (Chris), Peace Corps Volunteer, Bauang, La Union
- Joel C. Yuvienco, Headway School for Giftedness, joel.yuvienco[at]gmail.com, Educator/Social Media Consultant, help in providing lesson content and online resources, managed services for LMS using edu20.org for pilot schools 
- Athene Chan, APAC Red Hat Customer Service, Brisbane, Australia, swythangel [sa] gmail.com
- Mark Gatela, project manager, web enthusiast, help in providing media attention in Manila, based in Silicon Valley, California, mgatela [sa] yahoo dot com
- Armando Alcantara - Computer enthusiast, help in hardware setup, Based in Makati, with spirit in teaching.
- Harv Viray, graduate student and IT developer/consultant based in Manila, help in educating kids, bcviray [->] gmail dot com
- Gabriel Narciso, Freelance Org Dev't Consultant/ Idea Generator onefilipino [->] gmail dot com
- Imelda Santos, programmer analyst, web enthusiast; based in Missouri, USA; proud owner and donor of an OLPC XO; nene1206 sa google mail
- Engel Cabacungan - MeshNet Philippines
- Robert DC. Reyes - Technology Officer at TurfSite PH.net robert dot reyes [->] gmail dot com
- John Dabon - MeshNet Philippines
- Chie Yu - Marketing Manager, MBA
- Seatac Systems Computer Technologies Systems Integrator, Computer Supplies Provider, Based in Kalibo and Boracay Island.
- Aboitiz Land
- Deparment of Education (Philippines)
- Mike Greenwood
- Edward Mokurai Cherlin, OLPC volunteer Volunteer Coordinator
- Elizabeth Raquel
- Alvin Marcelo
- JM Nepomuceno
- Jerome Gotangco
- Carlos Nazareno (Naz) - Adobe User Group Manager at Philippine Flash Actionscripters, OLPC Project: Game & Edu-Gaming Development with Flash on the XO-1
- Mj Mendoza IV (Creek23) - KAGE Developer / Game Programmer
- Jayar C.
|Aug. 2008||Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008 was held at UP (University of the Philippines) and XO-1 B4 machine and a B2-1 have been presented to the audience. Some information about OLPC Philippines was also discussed.|
|Jul. 2008||Meetup with people like Net 25's Account Manager Manolo "Mak" Lim. Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008 with Rowen Remis R. Iral as a guest to discuss about Ubuntu and OLPC XO-1 and OLPC Philippines|
|Jul. 2008||Educational Server is already up. www.olpcph.co.cc Needs content developers for educational content|
|Jun. 2008||OLPC Philippines has successfully met people like JM Nepomuceno online and have kept in touch with Ms. Elizabeth Raquel. Some interest came in too from the Health/Medical group like Mr. Alvin Marcelo. Recently a new server was acquired for the Education Server 1 for OLPC Philippines. http://olpcph.ismywebsite.com|
|May. 2008||OLPC Philippines is now working with some educational project. OLPC-PH is waiting for the deployment of XO machines. OLPC-PH website has been migrated to a new server by our hosting service.|
|Apr. 2008||We received an XO-1 in Kalibo Aklan from Dignan/helosardig Another XO-1 will come from Canada. Also a server will be up soon for educators/teachers in the Philippines. We had lobby DepEd and now we're also being contacted by Aboitiz. ~Project Manager Wenmi01 User:Wenmi01|
|Mar. 2008||Project Manager Wenmi01 has worked on testing Ubuntu Linux on both B2-1 and B4 machines, he found that if proper tweaking be done on the Ubuntu 7.10 version, it could run smoothly too on a B2-1 machine. B4 runs Ubuntu flawlessly.|
|Feb. 2008||Project Manager Wenmi01 is waiting for update on get together. With the help of Charles Chen, Wenmi01 was able to talk with PBSP Philippine Business for Social Progress on rolling up not just a pilot for this OLPC/Education Project. -Wenmi01|
|Jan. 2008|| A positive and productive Year begins.|
A Happy and Prosperous New Year To All! from Chief Mike 10:03, 27 January 2008 (EST) :)
|Dec. 2007||The most active month throughout the year. We'll be moving more quickly for next year. ~User:Wenmi01|
|Nov. 2007||Meeting with Graham Prosser and Mel Chua has been done. Plans and people are starting to collaborate.|
|Oct. 2007||OLPCPH's Rowen and Tim talked to Graham for the Unang Liwanag (First Light) project for deployment of initial machines for education. We have come up ideas on deploying machine on a school on US and in the Philippines. Developers will be needed too mostly for this important milestone.|
|Sept. 2007||We have a registered name OLPCPH. Educational content and XO1 - B2-1 & B4 content are being prepared. B2-1 challenges are being worked out by OLPCPH, improving the build for this ensures better system software for builds. OLPCPH choose B2-1 for lesser cost.|
|Aug. 2007||Rowen lent the XO B4 to Tim, Malaya lacks machine while Rowen continued development and rugged testing and usage for an A+ teacher. Tim received a B4 with yellow XO logo dated Aug 21, 2007.|
|Jul. 2007||Malaya needs XO, Rowen received a B4 from OLPC|
|Jun. 2007||Rowen received 3 B2-1s XO machine development & testing started|
|Apr. 2007||Guest attendance at the OLPC "Countries Meeting" in Cambridge, MA.|
|Feb. 2007||Demonstration to government (Department of Education, CICT, ASTI) officials and private-sector representatives at CICT.|
|Jan. 2007||B1-test machine arrives in the Philippines.|