OLPC UK/Lending Library and Repair Centre/Status 20090505
 OLPC UK Library Update 20090505
The OLPC UK Local Laptop Lending Library (LLLL) has received its laptop allocation courtesy of OLPC.
Here is an updated status and the next steps; but first, please recall that the purpose of the combined Library / Repair Centre is to:
- support the OLPC mission and community via lending out laptops to UK volunteers / contributors; and
- facilitate with space, materiel, and expertise XO repairs by volunteers; and
- encourage, enable, and support Contributor Program applicants from the UK.
- 10 laptops (9 fully functional, one with broken wireless) and 8 working batteries are in the UK.
- All laptops have:
- developer keys
- security disabled
- markings with a OLPCUK-NN (NN from 1 to 10) code, my mobile phone number, and the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list address
- been flashed to latest firmware (Q2E41)
- have the latest Sugar-on-a-Stick build (Rawhide/Fedora 11 + OLPC kernel) installed.
- 3 pairs of laptops are available for borrowing: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Olpcuk_llll_sixlaptopsmontage_dsc07664-small.jpg
- 2 pairs of laptops have been lent to developer Library beta-testers in central London (est return time: 1.5 months)
- More help is always needed with outreach, hardware wrangling, mentoring, etc. Please get in touch directly or via email@example.com. Better yet, Just Do It - whatever you you're trying to help with - and I/people will try to keep up (Forgiveness vs. Permission).
- Much untriaged Repair Centre hardware is in the UK.
 Next steps
- Review plans at OLPC UK meeting: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#Month_2
- Flesh out "How do I get a laptop" instructions: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#How_do_I_get_a_Laptop.3F
- Get people interested in borrowing laptops
- Start Repair Centre hardware triage
- Start Library inventory system with (gcstar, probably)
- Write up lessons learned so far; share with appropriate audiences