OLPC UK/Lending Library and Repair Centre/Status 20090925
< OLPC UK | Lending Library and Repair Centre
Revision as of 09:25, 25 September 2009 by MartinDengler
 OLPC UK Library Update 20090925
The OLPC UK Local Laptop Lending Library (LLLL) has 100% of its laptops loaned out.
Here is an updated status and the next steps; but first, please recall that the purpose of the combined Library / Repair Centre is to:
- support the OLPC mission and community via lending out laptops to UK volunteers / contributors; and
- facilitate with space, materiel, and expertise XO repairs by volunteers; and
- encourage, enable, and support Contributor Program applicants from the UK.
- Repair Centre's latest (and earliest) unsolicited XO-1 repair was done in a day and a complete success. A generous & cute thank-you from the beneficiary was received:
- Repair Centre hardware has been triaged and 3 laptops have been fully repaired. Many others have hardware that can be consolidated: e.g., three laptops have mangled keyboards and two laptops have bad screens and one has a bad touchpad, so swapping motherboards and keyboards around should get at least three more working laptops for the library.
- Two laptops were lent to the OLPC UK pilot and now have been replaced by two from the UK laptop allocation - so the pilot was able to move forward before its laptops arrived from the US and now the Library is back to its original allocation.
- UK XO-1 survey is over and results have to be collated (won't take long).
- 10 functional laptops and working batteries are in the UK.
- All laptops have:
- developer keys
- security disabled
- markings with a OLPCUK-NN (NN from 1 to 10) code, my mobile phone number, and the email@example.com mailing list address
- been flashed to latest firmware (Q2E41)
- have the latest Sugar-on-a-Stick build (Rawhide/Fedora 11 + OLPC kernel) installed.
- 0 pairs of laptops are available for borrowing
- More help is always needed with outreach, hardware wrangling, mentoring, etc. Please get in touch directly or via firstname.lastname@example.org. Better yet, Just Do It - whatever you you're trying to help with - and I/people will try to keep up (Forgiveness vs. Permission).
 Next steps
- Review plans at OLPC UK meeting: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#Month_2
- Flesh out "How do I get a laptop" instructions: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#How_do_I_get_a_Laptop.3F
- Update Library inventory system with (gcstar, probably)
- Write up lessons learned so far; share with appropriate audiences