PAPPI stands for Parents And Profesionals for Positive Interventions
This page tracks the work of the PAPPI group to reduce the use of restraint and seclusion in schools and increase the use of positive behavioral supports.
We work via e-mail and hold a conference call once a month. Leave a note on the discussion page if you want to participate or e-mail gregsmithpm at gmail.com.
- Faciliate the ability of parents to tell their story and be heard without retaliation.
- Improve transparency about what is happening in schools and analyze data to demonstrate the use of restraint and seclusion.
- Develop tools and information for school systems to help reduce the use of restraint and seclusion through positive behavioral support.
- Increase the size of our group. Ensure that we have actionable tasks for new parents as they express a desire to be involved.
- Improve the laws and regulations on restraint and seclusion.
Ways to volunteer
Whether this affects your child directly or not, you can help reduce the use of restraint and seclusion!
We have small things you can do (less than 30 minutes from a computer) and other ways you can be involved. Feel free to contact us any time
Here are ways to get started:
- Join our e-mail list (contact gregsmithpm at gmail.com)
- Particpate in monthly planning conference calls
- Participate in a campaign (see below)
- Come up with a new idea for a campaign PAPPI New Campaign Ideas
Petition the White House to Support The Keeping All Students Safe Act
This campaign aims to collect 25,000 signatures for on a We The People Petition to get the White House to supoprt the Keeping All Students Safe Act.
Sign the petition found here: http://www.bit.ly/kidspetition
Please spread the word and get more people to sign via Facebook, e-mail, Twitter, etc.
Campaign to Protect Rule 33 in Maine
The goal is to generate 30 e-mails to Maine State Legislators to protect the new regulations on restraint known as Rule 33.
Maine residents, please contact your state legislator and ask them to keep Rule 33.Find your Maine legislator here http://www.maine.gov/legis/house/townlist.htm
Sample e-mail to use when contacting your legislator: Sample Maine e-mail
Additional details on the campaign and ways you can help are here: Click here for details and updates on the campaign
From R-S to PBIS, One District at a Time
From Restraint and Seclusion to Positive Behavioral Supports, One District at a Time
The goal to look closely at one school system and make a difference there. We start by gathering data. Then we reach out to people in the community. Then we offer resources and support to help them improve practices in their schools.
This campaign is still under development. See the latest thinking on it here: PAPPI From R-S to PBIS
Next conference call, Thursday February 7th, 8PM contact gregsmithpm at gmail.com for details and dial in info.
News, Links and other resources
Pages collected under SPED namespace