PAPPI Protect Rule 33
Back to PAPPI Home http://wiki.laptop.org/go/PAPPI
Campaign to Protect Rule 33
Hearing Scheduled for February 20
PUBLIC HEARING: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 1:00 PM, Cross Building, Room 202
Emergency Legislation Proposed by the Legislature
Groups to contact
- Put names of groups we should contact in this Google Docs Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuuznGZd5DK3dFhURVhiV2pLR1pmdUVnWmdYdzFCdHc
Ideas on other sources of groups:
- Possible source of additional groups to contact : http://www.mainecgc.org/partners.html
- Find a contact for these listservs: Maine Children’s Trust, Maine Roads to Quality, and Head Start. They are used by early childhood educators so some may be in favor and others not.
- Contact all the people listed here:
- Conflict resolution organizations: http://www.changingmaine.org/cgi/cm/categories.html?id=kFe2uQZM&mv_arg=108
Message to use when contacting people in Maine
- Write a short, focused explanation of why the new rule is important
Possible sources to make the argument: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-ellen-stevens/trauma-sensitive-schools_b_1625924.html and http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-ellen-stevens/traumasensitive-schools-part-two_b_1632126.html
- Write an e-mail which can be shared to ask people to contact their legislator including a sample letter. Make sure to ask people to tell us if they did it for tracking purposes. Consider one version for residents of Maine and another for people outside Maine.
See also Maine Parent Federation letter on this: http://www.startingpointsforme.org/content/maines-recently-enacted-rules-restraint-and-seclusion-chapter-33
- Collect links describing Rule 33. Start here: http://www.maine.gov/education/rulechanges/chapter33/index.html and here http://www.maine.gov/doe/school-safety/restraints/index.html
- Choose an online petition or other tool to generate interest
- Write a press release describing the impact of restraint on children in Maine and promoting the campaign to protect rule 33. Break this in to sub-tasks as needed (e.g. research impact, create protect rule 33 web page, etc).
- Write a position paper or which describes how similar regulations in other states have been successful