The Active Antenna is not available for deployments at this time. It is still in development.
- 802.11s wireless access point powered via USB
- Use 1-3 Active Antennas with a school server to create mesh channels for XO laptops
- Can be used to extend the range of an XO laptop
- Includes 5 meter cable with USB connector
- Cost estimate: $20 (not confirmed)
See Product News for availability.
Location and Intended Users
Users of XOs, inside and outside of school.
Requirement: 5-10 million laptops to be distributed in 2008 with 1 server per 100 laptops and 3 active antennas per server.
- Active Antennas are critical for the project and are required for the school server.
- Every school server requires 3 Active Antennas.
- Better connectivity will generate more use for the XO outside of school
- This particular antenna extends the range of the mesh, thus extending wireless connectivity for everyone in range, not just for the XO plugged into it.
- The mesh networks seem to have limited signal within about 100m between two laptops
- Extends wireless connectivity for multiply users
- Is a self contained unit which can operate without a laptop, all it needs is a USB power supply which could be solar driven for example.
- 5 meter USB cable
- 83 and 88 wireless standard (Not currently available in USB dongles)