Pre-Activate an XO
Revision as of 10:45, 15 October 2008 by Skierpage
- NOTE: The 'Getting Activation/Developer Keys for one or many XOs' section of the page Activation and Developer Keys has a lot of useful information on this topic.
- Acquire a 'Collector Key'
- see Activation and developer keys on how to make a 'Collector Key'
- Remove any previous LAPTOPS.DAT files on the 'Collector Key'
- Insert the 'Collector Key' into the turned off laptop, and press the power button.
- The 'Collector Key' will grab the information off the laptop that it needs, put it in a file called LAPTOPS.DAT, and power-down the laptop.
- Login to activation.laptop.org
- Click on 'Create a new lease request'
- Select Developer Key, leave the duration blank, and upload the LAPTOPS.DAT file that you just got off the laptop.
- Click 'Request releases'
- The Activation Manager should then give you a develop.sig file to download. (if it happens to be called leases.sig, you just need to rename it after downloading it)
- Put the develop.sig file onto another usb key (not the 'Collector Key')
- Insert this key into the shutdown laptop, and press the power button.
- As the laptop boots up, you will be given the option to hit the esc button and get to the ok prompt. Do so.
- Change the manufacturing data, so that it includes the information needed for being pre-activated.
- See How to Change Manufacturing_data under Pre-Activating a laptop