Literacy and environmental action project for Kettleman City, California.
About Kettleman City:
- Isolated town of 1500 people, economy based on farming and highway rest stop restaurants
- Compendium of severe environmental hazards and rural poverty: http://motherjones.com/environment/2010/07/kettleman-city-toxic
- 55.1% of residents speak English "not well" or "not at all"
- 36.3% under the age of 18
- Their library branch is open only 1PM-6PM, Tuesday-Thursday http://www.kingscountylibrary.org/lib/ktc.htm
We need to motivate them to have the library open more often, especially on weekends!
Kettleman Crowdmap - will be connected to SMS, EPA data, live sensors http://kettleman.crowdmap.com