XO-1 and XO-1.5
On an XO-1 or XO-1.5 with OLPC OS 10.1.3:
- switch to GNOME,
- connect to the Internet,
- using Firefox, go to the Skype Web site and download the Linux Static version (here's a direct link),
- locate the file using the File Browser — it is most likely in the "Download" folder in your home directory, with a file name like "skype_static-188.8.131.52.tar.bz2",
- right-click on the file and choose "Extract Here",
- wait for the archive to extract to a new folder — it should look like "skype_static-184.108.40.206",
- open the new folder, you should see a file called "skype" — double-click it.
Not yet available, check with Skype for latest news or devel list discussion.
Options - Sound Devices
Audio does not work immediately. Adjust the options to make the microphone work:
- click the tiny Skype button in the bottom-left of the main Skype window, choose "Options", and in the list of categories on the left, click on "Sound Devices",
- on the right, click the drop-down box next to "Microphone" and select "HDA VIA VT82xx, CONEXANT Analog (hw:0,0)" for XO-1.5, and "CS5535 Audio (hw:Audio,0)" for XO-1,
- click "Apply" at the bottom,
- test the setting with the "Make a test call" option.
Options - Video Devices
On an XO-1.5, video should work immediately. To test, go to "Video Devices" and click the "Test" button in the black box.