Slider Puzzle: Lesson 5
Current revision as of 13:27, 5 July 2007
Slider Puzzle Lesson 5: “Our Flag” (Group learning project example)
- Learn about your country’s flag, what it represents, and how it fits into your country’s history.
- Understand what symbols are and the function they serve.
- Learn how to brainstorm.
- Practice discussing thoughts and ideas.
- Find answers through discussion and research.
1) Examine the flag of your country. What does it mean to you? How does it make you feel? Discuss why a country has a flag. Record your ideas on your XO and if possible, post somewhere in the classroom.
2) Make a list of the symbols, pictures, colors and/or writing on your country’s flag. Discuss what the symbols stand for (for example, the 50 stars on the American Flag represent the 50 states that are in the United States). Add these ideas on your XO too.
3) In small groups, brainstorm (think together) about what these symbols mean. Why did the creators of the flag choose these symbols? What are some other symbols of your country? If you were designing the flag today, would symbols would you put on it?
4) As a class, share what each group discussed. Explain the history of your native country’s flag and what the symbols actually mean. Share your ideas about other symbols of your country.
5) Create a picture of your country’s flag using “Paint” and save it.
6) Open your Flag image in the Slider Puzzle.
7) Solve the FLAG Slider Puzzles that have been created.