Thank You North America
The generous G1G1 donors of North America have given of tens of thousands of XO laptops to children in developing countries, including these new XOers in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (Photo by Carla Gomez Monroy, Learning Consultant, OLPC, 17 Jan 2008) 05-0
Getting Started, FAQ, Troubleshooting Resources
Manuals and Guides for the XO
- Volunteers have created a great new 240-page manual downloadable here (4.7MB), or purchasable in book form for $17.54, focusing on our new 8.2.0 Release.
- If however you are running our older 2007/2008 software, learn about your XO laptop and what it can do, or download the older Getting Started Guide pdf (17.5MB). Even better, consider the latest stable release! (450MB)
- Our Community User Guide has more detailed information about the XO.
Things to try with your new XO!
- Your child can read an online book.
- Use the Record activity to take a picture, make a video or record audio.
- Make some music with TamTamJam
- Add more activities. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/All
Troubleshooting and Repairs
- Check our Support FAQ, which is our new and quickly growing "Knowledge Base" of users' Frequently Asked Questions.
Check the Give1Get1 FAQ for "customer service" (really Donor Services) questions.
Check the longer Ask OLPC a Question for a wider range of answers, as well as the more general Official OLPC FAQ.
- Join our community forums—below—for more direct assistance and responses.
- If your XO laptop is defective—and you received it through the Give1Get1 program—please contact us within 30 days of receiving it.
- If you are stuck:
a) and you ordered on Amazon in 2008, see https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html. If that does not work, call Amazon at 866-216-1072 or 206-266-2992.
b) and you ordered in 2007, please email the volunteers at "help AT laptop.org"; make sure to include a detailed description of your problem and your customer number!
- Contact "holt AT laptop.org" if you want to join our Community Support Volunteers, either online or in person in Cambridge, Massachusetts. To join, send us a note detailing your talents, motivations and a phone number we can use to reach you. Thanks!
XO laptop owners are passionate about helping each other, in keeping with OLPC's constructionist learning mission within developing countries. You too can learn about the XO and its activities, collaborating on the issues that matter to you most, by exploring OLPC's many great community forums:
- NEW: Support Forum - If you can't find your questions on the wiki, ask them on the newly relaunched community forum website.
- XO Roadshows - See the XO in action
- Initiate/join a local users group. Online forums are emerging everywhere. Almost 100 regional US/Canadian /user groups have recently been announced. Here's a great worldwide summary of Emerging OLPC Communities. Finally independent Tech Support groups are also blossoming, such as this new Tech Support Community.
- Please join our Live Chat on the web! Advanced users can download IRC software and explore many OLPC chat channels.
You can also access IRC on your XO laptop using the XoIRC activity.
- Join a mailing list: find most at http://lists.laptop.org, for example
- Read/Comment on OLPC developers' blogged newsbits:
- Educators and others may get involved at many different levels:
Further documentation underway
- Many great Documentation Projects are emerging in the US and around the world.
- Please contribute in any way -- as a Tech Writer in a professional capacity -- or as a part-time volunteer. Dive right in, using our Wikipedia-style "edit" or "create account" buttons at the top of every page, or please send your phone number to: holt AT laptop.org (Thanks!)
Maintenance/Repair and Community-Building
Each location worldwide is encouraged to establish a tech support center for local hardware repairs and replacement. We encourage the students to be involved in the repair as much as possible. Some ideas on this have been written up in the Laptop Service Program Ideas.
See Disassembly for instructions on taking apart your XO. Do NOT remove the watch battery on the mother board if you disassemble your machine; prior to the Q2D07 version of firmware, this can result in the computer becoming unusable. See also the other pages in Category:Repair
RMS Logistics may offer Post-Warranty Repair Support at their North American repair facility, after your 30-day Warranty expires.
How do I report a bug?
We are very interested in bug reports. Instructions are available at reporting bugs. Summary: Please report bugs by sending email to "help AT laptop.org". (Developers, please continue to file bugs in our tracking system.)
We are also interested in your suggestions for enhancements to our system.
Community input and collaboration is vital to the success of OLPC. Thank you for your participation.
Older Support Page & Demo Notes
Our Older Tech-Oriented Support Page is increasingly dated, but may offer archival context to the technically savvy.