- still covers the 2007 and 2008 fund raising and involvement creation campaign, needs update to remove these items,
- still mentions amazon customer support as part of that campaign, and phone numbers,
- still mentions the now closed forum,
- please remove the outdated line and these lines once fixed.
--Quozl 08:54, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
For the general public
New test page prototyping recent updates / cleaner layout -- feedback welcome!
Thank You North America
The generous G1G1 donors of North America have given of tens of thousands of XO laptops to children in developing countries, including these new XOers in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (Photo by Carla Gomez Monroy, Learning Consultant, OLPC, 17 Jan 2008) 08-3
Getting Started, FAQ, Troubleshooting Resources
Manuals and Guides
- Check our Manuals and Support FAQ, for a growing "Knowledge Base" of Frequently Asked Questions.
- Check out our DRAFT "Class Acts" guide for community deployment resources.
Things to try with your new XO Laptop!
Tech Support & Troubleshooting
- Join our many community forums below for more direct tech assistance and responses.
- If you're completely stuck, email our volunteers at "help AT laptop.org", including a detailed description of your problem. We apologize all emails are not answered right away! If you want to provide help to others, contact "holt AT laptop.org" to join our friendly team of Community Support Volunteers, either online or in person in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Just send us a quick note detailing your talents, motivations and a phone number, Thanks!
- If your XO's screen does not turn on when you press the power button, but the power LED lights up, you might have a d6 failure. See a volunteer repair center for help.
XO laptop owners are passionate about helping each other, in keeping with OLPC's constructionist learning mission within developing countries. You too can learn about the XO and its activities, collaborating on the issues that matter to you most, by exploring OLPC's many great community forums:
- NEW: Support Forum - If you can't find your questions on the wiki, ask them on the newly relaunched community forum website.
- XO roadshows - See the XO in action
- Read/Comment on OLPC contributors' blogged newsbits:
- Educators and others may get involved at many different levels:
Each location worldwide is encouraged to establish a tech support center for local hardware repairs and replacement. We encourage the students to be involved in the repair as much as possible. Some ideas on this have been written up in the Laptop Service Program Ideas.
We strongly encourage you to get involved by initiating/joining a local users group, many of which are listed above.
See Disassembly for instructions on taking apart your XO. Do NOT remove the watch battery on the mother board if you disassemble your machine; prior to the Q2D07 version of firmware, this can result in the computer becoming unusable.
See also the other pages in Category:Repair
Further documentation underway
- Please contribute in any way — as a Tech Writer in a professional capacity — or as a part-time volunteer. Dive right in, using our Wikipedia-style "edit" or "create account" buttons at the top of every page, or please send your phone number to: holt AT laptop.org (Thanks!)
How do I report a bug?
If you have a problem using your XO, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org (staffed by volunteers, not OLPC).
We are also interested in your suggestions for enhancements to our system.
Community input and collaboration is vital to the success of OLPC. Thank you for your participation.
(For engineering and technical developers, see reporting bugs and our tracking system.)
Older Support Page & Demo Notes
Our Older Tech-Oriented Support Page
is increasingly dated, but may offer archival context to the technically savvy.