Please add main page comments by clicking on the '+' link next to the word 'edit' above.
LiveCD in Latest releases out of date
Hello. In the "Latest Releases" box, the link to the LiveCD must be updated. It still refer to Build 385, while a recent version is available (ftp://rohrmoser-engineerinit is probably the most useful link over there, and at first this was going to be a gripe about it going away entirely, but then I realized someone had just mis-categorized it (IMHO). You can lose the Random Page link for all I care (as SJ has observed , it's more or less a ticket to an XO Korea page anyway. Cjl 15:07, 24 April 2008 (EDT)
- I'm torn about where to put it. It is both about the project -- a way to see its current activity -- and of course about the wiki. It was moved because it was 'below the fold' on most monitors. I'm open to other suggeestions. And I still find randompages useful; olpc korea is only ~15% of the site :) --Sj talk 13:37, 4 May 2008 (EDT)
Add Machine Translation
I would like to add the GoogleTrans-en template to the Main page. In spite of the worthy efforts of many translators in many languages, the number of edits to this page are more than any handful of humans can keep up with. By adding this template it will allow users the option of accessing a translation of this pageGoogleTranslation in one of 22 languages, they will have access to "good enough" translation of more current content. Furthermore, the Google translation frame will allow them to navigate the rest of the wiki from this entry point with translation turned on, if they so choose. See for example my User:page User:Cjl, select any language and then navigate off the page by any of the links while the Google translation frame is active. It is also simple to dismiss the translation frame and switch back to the original verison of the page.
The argument against relying solely on human translations. I reviewed the other lang-xx versions of this page (certainly one of the most translated and updated pages) and recorded the most recent version number from the translation template. Clearly many of these are cases of the version number not being kept up to date (a challenge in itself), but on the other hand, history shows many of these pages have not had substantial revisions for months and months. No matter how much you might prefer a human translation, you must admit that at present, the community of lang-xx translators cannot keep pace with the larger community of lang-en editors. We should not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good. Cjl 22:41, 19 May 2008 (EDT)
Version lang 130711 en 33113 ar 76798 bg 33477 de 75214 es 37382 fr 54129 it 99961 ko 68032 no 81739 pt 33477 ro 102681 ru 60725 zh 60725 zh-TW
- please remind me why this is better than the translation links in the skin... placement? --Sj talk 06:37, 5 September 2008 (UTC)
Moved comment from 22.214.171.124
Looks horrible on IE6 * Please fix *
"How to update" links to old page!
"How to update" link on Main page (in box) links to a page saying there is a newer version of this page available (?!) 126.96.36.199 02:11, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
New main page design
We need a total redesign of the page. Mel and Seth and others have been saying the same thing for a while... so let's actually design a new model and implement it. I'd like to see something like the catalan wp main page : with small colorful in-page tabs, a highly summarized and limited set of information in short paragraphs and bullet points, each linking to details elsewhere on the wiki, and a set of alternative page views including a static html view, for usability.
Each of the sections of the main page is another target for maintenance -- people interested in one area of news or another, in feeds or images or media, can keep that part of the main apge up to date without worrying about the currency of the rest of it; and without interlacing the overall page history with the section history. Now we only need to get the Design gang involved...188.8.131.52 06:15, 16 October 2008 (UTC)
- But the new main page design is barren and still static. It needs love! I still like the wikitravel and wikieducator homepages best... along with the catalan Wikipedia. --Sj talk 21:15, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
The menu on the left should include a link to the Participate page. It could perhaps replace several of the more specific topics there.--Mokurai 19:37, 23 November 2008 (UTC)
How about, let us easily install ubuntu?
- I just wrote a howto for Ubuntu Lucid (10.04). It is a slightly involved, but fairly straightforward process. :] It would be nice if someone figured out what changes the stock Ubuntu kernel needs in order to work. --Maxxflow 19:57, 11 April 2010 (UTC)
Concise mission improvement
- How about, improving concise mission? As a member of the indigenous Australian community I am very offended with the amount of racism that is going on here.
- People may be blind to their own racism. Feel free to edit in non-racist language. --FGrose 01:30, 2 November 2011 (UTC)
New discussions moved to the Cafe
Helping with this wiki
I would like to help out maintaining this wiki, however a lot of pages are locked from editing for me. Is there some solution for this? e.g. can somebody give me admin status? It is mostly wikilinks fixing what I want to do, but this wiki suffers from bad linking quite a lot.--Kozuch 21:03, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
Sounds great. You've made one edit already. Keep going. For things you can't edit, mention them to those who can. Once the trust develops, and the load increases, we will probably increase your access. --Quozl 22:11, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
what about upgrading MediaWiki in order to have watchlists accessible via RSS/ATOM feeds as for instance Wikipedia or OSM Wiki have? It would help me a lot in watching this site.--Kozuch 08:57, 10 January 2011 (UTC)
- Any news here?--Kozuch 12:50, 24 September 2011 (UTC)
Regarding the concern expressed by some colleagues that 3,000 laptops is less than a rain drop in an ocean, I would humbly opine that once we successfully deploy the initial 3,000 we can can then shoot for a million laptops, for then the sky will be the limit. Don't you reckon? -- Larry.
- Which colleagues? Where is the concern expressed? I can't see the context of your anonymous response. --Quozl 01:03, 19 January 2011 (UTC)