The One Laptop per Child non-profit develops a low-cost laptop—the "XO Laptop"—to revolutionize how we educate the world's children. Our mission is to provide educational opportunities for the world's most isolated and poorest children by giving each child a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop; and software tools and content designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning.
As of March 2011, we have produced XO laptops for roughly 2 million children around the world, the majority of them in Uruguay, Peru, Rwanda, Haiti, Mongolia and the United States. These laptops all run Sugar and Fedora Linux, and have customized software and content builds developed by their national deployment teams in collaboration with OLPC staff. We maintain a regular update of deployment information.
Quote of the Day
"This is not just a matter of giving a laptop to each child, as if bestowing on them some magical charm. The magic lies within -- within each child, within each scientist, scholar, or just plain citizen in the making. This initiative is meant to bring it forth into the light of day."
Contributors program: We are currently offering free XO-1.75's to developers and content creators who are working on projects that will benefit deployments worldwide. To apply for this program, submit a description of the work you are planning along with your contact information.
Read more about our deployments, the latest sugar release and the new XO 1.75 laptop, or other projects. Follow our news and submit new stories. To suggest your own project, or get free XO hardware to work with, submit a project proposal directly.
This wiki contains project pages describing work and ideas related to OLPC. Be bold - create new pages for your own projects, or learn how to get involved with those already in progress. You can also ask other community members about ways to contribute.
See our latest community news and accomplishments, including our overhauled Contributors Program, offering free XO Laptop loans and community mentoring to volunteers worldwide who pay it forward.
There are overview pages dedicated to hardware, software, education and content.
The XO's iconic software interface, Sugar, has its own human interface guidelines, here and on the Sugar Labs wiki. There are also discussion pages on issues of deployment and country-specific discussions.
OLPC is designed around five core principles—Child Ownership, Low Ages, Saturation, Connection, and Free and Open Source tools, and each of these have their own portal sections as well.
Start of mass production at Quanta
News and updates
- 2012 brings our global community summit Oct 19-21 and follow-on implementers' San Francisco Sugarcamp++ Oct 22-24 -- all are invited to both events!
- Our latest OLPC Software Releases are emerging for the XO-1, XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and upcoming XO-4. See USB instructions for easy visuals on how to upgrade. Please join our Testing Community if you want to help kids worldwide, enhancing our upcoming Release 12.1.0 and beyond!
- The XO-1.75 laptop entered production in February, 2012.
- Uruguay became the first country in the world to achieve one laptop per child, when its President Tabaré Vázquez handed out the last of its 400,000 XOs on October 13.
- For general news, see some of the OLPC news aggregators, including planet.laptop.org, the OLPC blog, and the independent OLPCNews blog.
launches at Kagugu Primary School in Kigali
Thai, one of 18 localized OLPC keyboards
The 12 most recent new pages on this wiki:
- 16:27, 20 November 2014 Zamora Teran/Imagen XO 4 (hist) [14 bytes] Germanrs (Talk | contribs)
- 23:14, 19 November 2014 OLPC Firmware q7b41 (hist) [2,654 bytes] Quozl (Talk | contribs)
- 23:47, 18 November 2014 Release notes/13.2.2/Installation/XO-4 (hist) [143 bytes] Quozl (Talk | contribs)
- 23:46, 18 November 2014 Release notes/13.2.2 (hist) [1,547 bytes] Quozl (Talk | contribs)
- 23:10, 18 November 2014 13.2.2 (hist) [794 bytes] Quozl (Talk | contribs)
- 23:47, 4 November 2014 Android/Lollipop(5.0) (hist) [826 bytes] YouxinSu (Talk | contribs)
- 19:04, 1 November 2014 Activities/Ejercitar (hist) [3,474 bytes] Samurey (Talk | contribs)
- 02:04, 30 October 2014 Android/Status (hist) [2,065 bytes] YouxinSu (Talk | contribs)
- 10:10, 10 October 2014 SupersedeDefermentsDodderedShrew (hist) [422 bytes] Quozl (Talk | contribs)
- 10:59, 2 October 2014 Kosovo (hist) [0 bytes] SvenAERTS (Talk | contribs)
- 06:19, 2 October 2014 GStreamer/Developers (hist) [12,480 bytes] Quozl (Talk | contribs)
- 02:55, 27 September 2014 Release notes/14.1.0 (hist) [323 bytes] Quozl (Talk | contribs)