Urdu is a south-east Asian language written in Arabic script. It is an official language of Pakistan and is official in India, and widely used among the Muslim population in India. Spoken Urdu is very similar to the Hindi language of India which since 1948 is written in Devanagari script and imports a lot of words from ancient Sanskrit.
- The Free and Open Source Software Foundation of Pakistan is developing a Linux distribution in Urdu.
- Ubuntu Linux has been localized into Urdu.
- Urdu internationalization utilities. Three utilities: Inpage converter, typing tutor and collating/search will be made available initially.
- Urdu Font Project, a step towards Opensource development of True Type Unicode Standard based Urdu Fonts specially "Nastaleeq", "Nastaleeq" Like and "Naskh" fonts.
- Urdu Indic Initiative is the F/LOSS-based localization (l10n) Initiative for Urdu as spoken in the Indian sub-continent. We are working towards a localized GNOME/KDE, Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice.org for ur_IN based on the Unicode Standard and associated technologies.
- Urdu Bulletin Board is a Mozilla-Firefox Plugin which enables Urdu Typing/Rendering for HTML Pages.
- RabtPad is a configurable unicode and Java based text editor for arabic based scripts including Urdu and Farsi with virtual keyboard for non-Latin scripts on Latin-based systems, export to pdf, rtf, html and plain text (later xml).
- PyUrduEdit is a simple text editor for the Urdu language.
- Urdu phpBB is an Urdu adaptation of the phpBB forum software complete with langauge translation and an online Urdu editor.
- Urdu OCR SDK is in progress. It is an SDK for offline Urdu character recognition.
- Urdu Localization Project
- Klavaro is a Urdu typing tutor, which helps you become an accomplished touch typist.
- Ubuntu Linux related Urdu links