User:DancesWithCars/XO-1 Bites the Dust
Ok, so I've been having XO problems since I got it:
- keyboard is kid sized, ok, mail order, didn't think of that, use an external USB keyboard
- touchpad, but adding a USB mouse workaround fixes that.
- Then the camera not working, ok, I don't show record, the crowd pleaser,
- use Speak and the microphone app measure? instead...
- But then the screen stops working
- (weird behavior, was blank restarting/ hard booting fixed TEMPORARILY,
- now dark rolling lines/ bars and looks like shorting out, maybe a smell too?),
- then it's toast...
And the G1G1 program is not running RECOMMEND: (should be year round, imo, and reduces the holiday rush, enables kids/ parents to purchase for school year terms, and planning for use, plus contributing to the OLPC project financially and possibly development, plus new not ebay take your chances...),
I'm probably a little light on the tech for doing a development alpha XO-1.5
- (though I do want it, could potentially use it the following ways
- run school server software (XO-1.5 as a teacher's machine, serving for students/ clubs/ afterschool activities, development,etc..),
- and show to LUG members, across users groups like Perl Mongers, mini demos, run builds, etc...
- and more production ready beta boards of Fat XO-1.5 are a ways away...
- (even if shipping worked locally)
- SO IT SEVERELY LIMITS WHAT ONE CAN DO WHEN YOU CAN'T GET THE HARDWARE, LIKE ANY OTHER MACHINE...
- And wastes my years of experience with the project
(albeit mostly user, and OLPCLearningClub.org user group,
- but I've made as much as $100/hour doing short term computer work)...
- if it were really a $100 machine as the intended goal,
- then buying one would not be as much of a problem...
- But at $426 with shipping, and unknown delivery wait times.
- it's a little beyond this disabled and hence poor person...
My current options seem to be:
- Not sure if I'm going to be able to get them from lending / pool... OK So Far but for 3-5+ months?
- Ebay sounds risky as used, mail order, buying old tech, etc...
- Bakeoff ( OLPCLearningClub.org comparing netbooks) makes me wonder which one,
- though not a good comparison as XO-1 started the netbook category, price, features, and not a systematic comparison, apples to oranges, in lots of ways...
- wait for a daylight Mary Lou screen available on other netbook hardware, but not kid focused nor as kid rugged?
- wait for XO1.5? WHEN? HOW? HOW MUCH?
- really want a touchscreen (saw it on the Intel Classmate, and bugging OLPC to allow as an option/ or on a development platform) for the DynoHubSolarPowerCombo project