Revision as of 19:13, 4 March 2011 by Patrol
School Service Learning Program
- This is to create awareness to Universities, Colleges and Community Colleges about the many areas that they can participate in OLPC/Sugar community.
- Introduce and foster volunteerism within the school environment.
- Bring together OLPC's existing school programs.
- A good venue to increase the OLPC/Sugar volunteer pool.
- Can be an official school program/activity or just a one time presentation to students. ( will depend on how school adopt this kind of program)
- Explore OLPC/Sugar activities with school Computer Science dept, education for sugar development and course development. As these future teachers will be the 21st century teachers.:)
- Here are some of the activities worth exploring with schools:
- Our contributors program
- Sugar and etoys activity development
- RT volunteers (if they been contributing for a certain period of time)
- XO or OLPC campus crusade ( dont know if you have concern on this)
- related to #4 students teaching the kids how to use XO & sugar activities ...school can choose one school it can be their own child care center or community outreach.
- A ClassAct event after ....to combine experiences of students...etc
- OLPC school activity event: meet up (can be organize by most active school org) or campus visits...open for suggestion.
 Open for discussion
- How to make this as global collaboration where school in Asia, Africa, US and Europe collaborate. (but we can start small ...local school group collaboration first and create some activity/program that works) existing program can be a pattern.
- Activity like sharing of ideas/skills/ org experiences (e.g Harvard school visits one community college and vice versa.)
- to come up with a program for this activity
- Scope of the program
- How will be the mentoring program ...
- How to bring all existing University program together ...
Note: Plz feel free to edit this or add your ideas. I'm very much willing to explore this.
 Current activity update/s
- exploring this program with a community college here in New Jersey.
- initially introducing OLPC/sugar with them ( I might use some existing presentation materials like of Caryl's presentation)
- Present to them how they can participate/opportunity to volunteer.