This is a stub. Also read User:Mchua/Braindumps/Support_gang for a more detailed outline proposal that's very much related - this is beyond support-gang, though.
A "community membership" structure - some sort of recognition that regular contributors can apply to, a status symbol with benefits. Only active contributors would have this distinction and the privs therein.
These are the reasons why I hesitate to write this proposal in the first place.
- A community program is inherently centralizing, and people may be disinclined to create and contribute to local communities if there's shininess on this end... how can we make it not a bottleneck?
- a community.laptop.org email forwarding address (email@example.com)
- userpage badge
- a vote on certain matters (what matters? I don't know)
- if they're really incredibly good, have an 'academy awards' type nomination each year, with tshirts sent to the winners
- Biz cards that say "member" see this similar idea
- IRC hostmasks like "olpc/member/foo"
 Why we should
- attract and retain devoted contributors
- have a known pool of good people to ping on projects, opportunities, etc - this is a useful group to delineate!
- a useful mental construct for newcomers to aim towards, and for people to help them attain - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Admin_coaching