Thanks for the interest. Why don't you post some questions here on the wiki, and I'll see if Nicholas can answer them. This is a crazy month... if he is busy and you are under deadline, Walter or I may be able to answer them as well. Sj talk 07:11, 2 November 2007 (EDT)
- Thanks! --Brianmc 07:13, 2 November 2007 (EDT)
- No serious deadline on this, for an interview like this the field trials are a backdrop to the Q&A. I'll likely have to wait some time to get people to flesh out a good set of questions. --Brianmc 08:35, 2 November 2007 (EDT)
Nicholas Negroponte - Questions about OLPC
- A lot of news sites have made a big deal about OLPC's "$100 laptop" actually being closer to $200 in price [All from one Reuters report]. From reading the trial project runs that have details posted it appears still worthwhile.
- Firstly, are there any extra features that spending more has brought to the laptop?
- Have economies of scale played against you in keeping the laptop cheap?
- How much of an influence has the value of the dollar played?
- What are your opinions on the rumours that Microsoft is trying to get a version of Windows running on the OLPC?
- Have any other parties expressed an interest in running something other than Linux on XO machines?
- I assume Microsoft got some machines to try this out, has anyone else got a sneak preview?
- I understand your brother has helped out somewhat - with well placed words.
- What influence has he had on getting decision-makers onboard?
- Who else would you name as outspoken supporters that are influential?
- Do you see the Great Firewall of China as an obstacle to the OLPC project's goals?
- Do you expect rollout in China, or the Chinese to do their own similar project?
- You've been at MIT for how long now? You're on sabbatical at the moment, for OLPC?
- When did you first actually come up with the idea of putting a computer in the hands of children in 3rd world countries?
- Based on the Moore's law influence and such, to produce the XO when you came up with the idea how much would it have cost?
- On that basis, when do you expect those influences to bring the laptop down to that magic $100 pricetag? Does it depend on selling a specific number of machines?
--Brianmc 09:18, 2 November 2007 (EDT)
- Please refer to the OLPC myths page of the wiki for answers to most of your questions. Regarding your questions about Nicholas—as opposed to the project—you'd best to ask him your self. --Walter 10:17, 2 November 2007 (EDT)
- Walter, I've looked briefly at the myths, point is not to get a boilerplate but a human answer. --Brianmc 11:32, 2 November 2007 (EDT)
- A Polish contributor has taken Carla's chronicle of the trial in India and started trying to turn it into an article on Wikinews. See here, and remember "anyone can edit". ;-) --Brianmc 04:37, 5 November 2007 (EST)
Lead article on Wikinews
Hi there; laptop shipping