XO Troubleshooting Guide
Still very much a work in progress!! Feel free to add
If you are having problems getting the XO to power on, see Troubleshooting Power On.
If you are having problems with the display on an XO laptop, see the Display diagnosis section.
See the Power and Battery diagnosis section if you are having problems such as:
- the battery is not charging
- the battery is suddenly loosing charge
- the laptop won't run from a power adapter
If you are having problems with the keyboard or touchpad on an XO laptop, see the Keyboard diagnosis section.
If you are having problems with the USB interfaces on an XO laptop, see the USB diagnosis section.
The following are common debugging and test procedures:
- Rebooting the Embedded Controller - This completely resets a laptop
- A Hardware Self-Test is included in the XO laptop.
- Boot options - Different boot options are available through pressing buttons around the screen during the initial boot process (immediately after pressing the power button). A sampling (more at Cheat codes):
- '✓' (check) game pad key: forces a more detailed display while booting. See Troubleshooting Power-On for more details. This is useful for debugging activation problems.
- 'O' game pad key: alternate between the current boot image and a previous one. In laptops which have never been upgraded, there is no previous boot image to use.
- Rocker left: invoke hardware self-test.
The following are common repair procedures:
- Disassembly Guide
- Motherboard Guides: intro, or repair
- Getting a developer key for a laptop
- Fixing an RTC problem - Fix laptops which can't boot due to reset RTC time.
- Replacing the EC Flash - Replacing the Embedded Controller Flash
- Turning an XO into a serial terminal
- Fixing LiFePO4 batteries that stop charging
- A detailed description of the laptop power circuitry