XS Community Edition/5.0
| NOTE: The contents of this page are not set in stone, and are subject to change!|
This page is a draft in active flux ...
Building off the success of XSCE 0.4, we hope with v0.5, the glass will officially become half-full :}
As of Jan 14th 2014, there was active discussion to rename XSCE 0.5 up to XSCE 5.0, to avoid imminent confusion with XS 0.6 (Oct 2009) and XS 0.7 (Jan 2012). Renumbering to 5.0 confirmed during our voice call Jan 16th 2014.
Early docs are evolving here:
Spec was refined Oct 21-23 in San Francisco.
Rolling list of proposals / open-community planning:
Summarized & contextualized by Tony Anderson here:
XSCE 0.5 Evolution Since Sept 2013
Look through its spec and community efforts, as well as XSCE's General FAQ. How we evolved:
- /Project_Specifications was quite naturally evolving in late Sept / early Oct 2013, eg. inviting suggestions and strategic/tactical directions. We pulled these together during...
- San Francisco Design/Hacking "Crystallization Sprint" was Oct 21-23 2013, with contributions from many in person and from afar!
- /Road Map was tuned during San Francisco's and after Sprint, becoming even more precise during Malaysia's "Culmination Sprint" Nov 18-20, 2013.
Thanks for thinking: how all can refine this Autumn 2013 baseline for future versions!
Conversion of Install Mechanism to Ansible
A major goal of the 0.5 release is converting the xs-config rpm based install to an ansible playbook.
Progress in this conversion is tracked here.
Placeholder links (for later)
School Server Recap
A community school server provides communication, networking, content, and maintenance to a school and/or classroom. In everyday usage the school server provides services extending capabilities of the connected laptops, enhancing teacher-child-parent relationships. In general, these services include:
- Classroom connectivity – Similar to what you would find in an advanced home router.
- Internet gateway – If available, an internet connection is made available to laptops.
- Content - Tools for deployments and teachers to make instructional media available to their schools and classrooms.
- Maintenance - Tools to keep laptops updated and running smoothly.