(Redirected from WINE)
|This command is run from the GNOME menu or the Terminal Activity. Using the 'wine' interface to run Microsoft Windows applications. The GUI will probably not integrate comfortably with the Sugar environment, but should work okay with GNOME. Your user experience may vary considerably depending on the established environment and the other programs running on the laptop, and may need re-installation after an OS Update. See the Microsoft Windows software category for similar commands.|
Wine Is Not an Emulator (WiNE) is a software environment for running Microsoft Windows based software. Not all software will run correctly. Most written for Windows 2000 or earlier will work. Few written especially for Windows XP or later will work. Running under wine is not activity or sugar compatible. This information is for reference, in case a specific Windows application is needed for the XO Laptop. Check category:windows software for software which has been tested under wine and the Sugar environment.
http://wiki.winehq.org/SugaredWine is a project that created a WiNE.xo activity specific to the XO.
- Now uploaded locally as file:wine.xo
You may be able to install and run WiNE from the command line, like other Linux software:
yum install wine
- Not all software will run well under 'wine' mode.
- Definitely not Sugar compatible.
- Picasa ships with an optimised 'wine', in /opt/picasa/wine/bin/wine, you can run it directly from there.
- Using WINE under GNOME on an XO should work just as well as it would on a larger computer.
- See Category:Windows software for complete collection of known wine tested, windows based software.
- See http://winehq.org for more information about wine.
- http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/ for various wine related tools.
- CrossOver Commercial highly customized version with installer. Easy to use GUI tools to configure to work with supported applications.