Broadway is a remake of the classic computer game "Hollywood" by Theatrix, and can be considered a spiritual successor to the Story Builder software. Users create a story by choosing a backdrop, creating actors, and then writing a script. Using animation and the native Text-to-Speech software, the story comes alive.
The Activity can be downloaded here.
There are three main User Interface components in Broadway:
- Stage: This is where the Actors and Backdrop appear. Any animation and action takes place here.
- Tabs: This contains buttons that switch the currently active Panel.
- Panels: This is where the 5 different Panels appear. A Panel is a collection of controls.
Broadway was created using Pygame. Spyral is used to simplify the handling of Sprites in the Theater. A modified version of PGU is used to handle the user interface. Finally, Scripts are currently stored using JSON, requiring the Simplejson library.
- More translations
- Export to Youtube
- More of the existing content: actors, backdrops, twists, emotions, voices, etc.
- Download content button (from central repository)
- More example stories
- Better text editing features (copy/paste, etc.)
- Props that actors can interact with
- Sound Effects and Musical Stings
Austin Cory Bart, for his undergraduate thesis work at the University of Delaware with Dr. Lori Pollock.
This project has a github.