(the page was not recently edited, and many events are described here that have long since past. --Quozl 06:41, 21 August 2013 (UTC))
Keeping it Real: Deployment Challenges and Outcomes
- SF's Global Community Summit 2012 Oct 19-21 and implementers' San Francisco Sugarcamp++ Oct 22-24 -- all are invited to both events!
- EduJAM! 2012 Montevideo, Uruguay, May 11-12 for Spanish-speakers / Latin Americans especially
- OLPC/Sugar Doc Sprint (Apr 6-10, 2012) freshening up our core http://laptop.org/manual and Sugar's Help Activity. Bonus: Video Tutorial workshop for those who arrive early with learning strategies - eg. a "curricular arc" showcasing the learning power of their favorite Sugar Activity!
- OLPC San Francisco Bay Area hosted another major/global community summit Oct 21-23, 2011 immediately following the Oct 16-20 Open Source Doc Sprint Summit held at Google's Googleplex Headquarters in Mountain View, CA. Followed by San Francisco's great-looking Nov 1-2 conference New Game, for HTML5 game developers, recommended by the TinyGames educational games community.
- OLPC France hosted a Europe-wide Sugar Camp Sept 9-11, 2011 in Paris (blog)
- The Uruguay Summit of May 5-7, 2011 brought together free educational software developers from around South America! It was preceded by an amazing volunteer-organized "Conozco Urugay" Exploratory Tour -- examining the world's most famous OLPC deployment firsthand.
- Global olpcMAP SPRINT - Dec 27-31 in Boston, Massachusetts, brought together volunteer curators from OLPC deployments of all size -- to finally place our years of accomplishments, our growing geosocial fabric -- and life-changing volunteer placement opportunities -- On The Map!
- OLPC SF/Sugar/Realness Summit Oct 21/22 - 24 2010 was the place introducing OLPC deployment community doers from Birmingham, Afghanistan and beyond!
- "What Works? Strategies for Scaling Quality Universal Basic Education Among Marginalized Children": Content & Training discussion in Kigali, Rwanda (Oct 11-15, 2010). Organized by the Open Learning Exchange (OLE).
- "OLPC Realness Summit: Facing the Reality for Volunteers & Professionals Worldwide": Mentor Workshop (May 24-June 2, 2010) and Realness Summit (May 28-30, 2010) at Maho Bay Camps, St.John, US Virgin Islands. Organized by the Waveplace Foundation
Glimpses of OLPC Deployments
Where every smile is special...
Where every child counts...
Where borders are meaningless...
Check more at OLPC Flickr and sorted by Country/Deployment
Check more at OLPCorps Flickr and sorted by Country/Deployment
Take a moment to think about Why you might want to help, and some of the Core Principles we favor in making things happen...
Plan for the Worst; Prepare for the Best
Preparation for Deployment (anecdoted by real-life experiences)
- OLPC Deployment Guide 2011 NEW!
- Country specific deployment guides and Sugar Installation
- Deployment resources (to be merged into main stream)
- PlugNPray PAIWASTOON-AF-PlugNPray-Guide.odt PAIWASTOON/Mike Dawson's guide from experience in Afghanistan to getting started / assessing needs / achieving impact using OLPC. NEW!
- Class-Act tips from an experienced volunteer -Sean Laurence discusses his personal experience and useful tips for OLPC volunteers who are about to go on a deployment.
- OLPC Startup in 5 Easy Pieces - Bryan Berry's Nepal experiences. Learn what can go wrong, as you build your deployment team
- Getting Started for Impatient People by Christine Murakami, who led Ohio high school girls to help with 3 schools in the US Virgin Islands.
- OLPC Orientation Workbook for Education Officials, by David Leeming (developed for Tuvalu, review)
- Deployment Guide from Michael Hutak, based on Walter Bender's Deployment Guide
- OLPC Oceania / Michael Hutak's great learning/deployment resource listing
- Improving the Deployment Toolkit NEW!
- OLPC France's Amazing Media Archive (in French)
- Billy Grissom's Gorgeous 4p Intro Sheets (UC Berkeley, Uganda, not yet published)
- UNESCO funded Uruguay/Ceibal book  and impact/implications booklet(hilarious cartoons!)(in Spanish)
- Frequently Asked Questions: our classic Support FAQ, the new Spanish P+F FAQ, and an incomplete Deployment FAQ
- OLPCorps 100 XO Deployment: What Should We Take?
- Ideas for Improving a Deployment Toolkit
- The ALEARN Network - Active Learning, Excited And Responsive Network - Enthusiastic Education!
Sugar and XO: Technical Preparation
Cost estimation for deployments
Train the Trainer: How teachers/educators make change
- Guide for Educators
- 10 Things You Should Know About Teacher Training by Christoph Derndorfer
- How To Treat Your Teachers As The True Professionals They Are by Caryl Bigenho
- Steal great classroom ideas from the many independent projects arising from OLPC's Contributors Program
- Illustrated elementary curriculum site Refer for curriculum set up and school organizing ideas
- Moodle: Using Open Source to Support Education by Martin Dougiamas
- OLPC AF Downloads : Teacher training content, monitoring and evaluation materials
- Australia's very impressively colorful 20-page OLPC Teacher Guide (1.5 MB) by *Jonathan Nalder, Caboolture.
- Gabon/FranXOphonie Pedagogic Guide, Google Translation to English, OLPC France's Wikified version (by Kaçandre Bourdelais, in French)
- XO-Measure-Manipulate-Reflect guide on how to build your own cheap sensors by Claudia
- Community-Mapping lesson plans from Claudia
- Alex Jones' Teacher's Tools (Game Design student @ Rochester Inst of Tech)
- An amazing new manual from Peru (The XO Laptop in the Classroom, great for teachers) added to our list of Manuals
- Lesson plans, tutorials & research studies from "Hello Laptop, Hello World" in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- A broad selection of Academic Papers and Constructionism insights may help you reflect on advancing your implementation support.
- The Librarian Chick free textbook catalog
- Mochilla Digital's "Tools" 19 Activity Guides plus extras. Some screen shots are from earlier versions of Sugar, but instructions are excellent. (in Spanish)
- Peru's Teacher Topic Guides(in Spanish)
- Currently unavailable: Mexico's Mochilla Digital workshops produced by TelMex / Carlos Slim's foundation : Extensive coverage of Constructionism, Collaborative Learning, and Project Based Learning (in Spanish). Hope to hava a new link soon.
- Educational content ideas
- Out of the Box mapmaking, sensor & content ideas from Nick Doiron's OLPC experiences in Uganda, Uruguay/Ceibal, Haiti and remotely helping Madagascar.
- Learning videos for almost 30 Sugar Activities from the Digital Literacy Project.
- See the Reading & Thinking section of the ALEARN Network (small deployment alliance) for our philosophies of learning, on Scratch Coding Clubs in Virginia (UK too?) etc!
Manuals, Handbooks and User Guides
OLPC Deployment Experiences
VERY ROUGH DRAFT, NEW: http://booki.flossmanuals.net/class-acts/_v/1.0/introduction/ OLD: http://en.flossmanuals.net/ClassActs (HTML), http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/classacts-en-2010.11.29-23.54.00.pdf (92 pages, 12.85MB). Formerly at: http://en.flossmanuals.net/ClassActs/ClassActs.pdf (~100 pages / 100+ MB)
BROADER COLLECTION OF: Diverse Public Presentations
Kenya Arid zone Primary School deployment mission starting early 2010:
OLPC Workshop for Education Officers in Tuvalu January 21-22, 2010 (87p, 1.21MB)
ClassActs story about Maroantsetra, Madagascar by Sameer Verma, prepared as part of an assignment by students at San Francisco State University
Columbus School for Girls Service Learning Project Blog Columbus School for Girls distribution to three schools in St. John, May 2010.
Cambridge_Friends_School 4 Summary Docs (at bottom of mailing list post, and here!)
"Proyecto Flor de Ceibo" (Uruguay's March 2009 report) (in Spanish)
Very up-to-date OLPC Nauru reportage and May 2009 29-page DRAFT REPORT File:Leeming-Nauru-OLPC-Apr-May-2009-Report (draft 1).pdf fostered by David Leeming. (video)
See also his (1) OLPC Solomon Islands work (2) Teacher tips/XS/Solar summary and (3) Community Radio idea!
DRAFT FLIER/CHAPTER File:XOsflyer3.pdf by Scott Carollo of Gallaudet Univ Art Dept, with help from Kevin Cole and Caryl Bigenho's original writeup on Pakistan.
DRAFT LAYOUT PROPOSAL #2 (using Scribus, SVerma): File:Story-layout-test-sverma.pdf with his graphics materials File:Booksprint-layout-stuff-by-sverma.zip
DRAFT LAYOUT PROPOSAL #3 (JGay): File:Book-draft-layout-by-jgay.pdf
DRAFT LAYOUT PROPOSAL #4: 1000-XO Deployment Story in File:Dujiangyan-Sichuan-China.pdf by OLPC Asia / Hong Kong (18-page PDF, June 2009)
XOs in El Salvador: A community deployment in Chalatenango (Presentation to http://OLPCLearningClub.org DC by Jeff Elkner, Sept 19th 2009). Also available in PDF: File:XOs in El Salvador.pdf
Uruguay's Plan Ceibal: The world's most ambitious roll-out of educational technologies? Includes video. Summary by Michael Trucano, World Bank's Senior ICT and Education Policy Specialist. Discussing Miguel Brechner's 19-page slide presentation "One Laptop per Child and per Teacher" here: File:2162969-uruguay-plan-ceibal.pdf
Beth Santos' impressive Sao Tome deployment presentation from Dec 30, 2009: File:Olpc-in-sao-joao--sao-tome.pdf (1.26MB) and blog summary
December 2009's Babson College project report on Strategies for Sugar deployments in US schools: report (66 pages, 412KB), presentation (35 pages, 655KB)
Heroic Waveplace/OLPC deployment stories in Nicaragua: Excellent summary of their approach, whose structure is likely evolving for their post-earthquake work in Haiti.
Translation Success Story! (english auto-translation) in French
30 small African deployments(map) by OLPCorps: a new student-based, grassroots OLPC initiative with 100 XOs, Hardware, $10K stipend, 10-day training in Kigali, Rwanda, and an entire summer in an African country of your choice.
Final Report Evaluation of OLPC in Solomon Islands (PDF)
"Got Implementation?" Nepal article from Jan 2007 incl fun logo!
Please add other resources, with links if possible, to the above list. Please feel free to add comments about any of these resources if you wish. Additionally, if you feel the resource has potential material to include in a future instructional DVD for new XO users, please mark the resource "+DVD."